Lenny's Modding the new Gin Palace (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Lenny HB how's the fridge fan modification performing, especially inconsideration of the higher French temps your are currently experiencing?
Sorry missed your post, when we were in France it was 31, with the fans ruinning performance was just about acceptable, 8 deg at the bottom 4 at the top. Whithout the fans 7 at the top 11 at the bottom.
As soon as my hand has healed I will be fitting an internal fan.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Lenny HB how's the fridge fan modification performing, especially inconsideration of the higher French temps your are currently experiencing?
Mine works a treat. Around now they tends to run permanently. In the freezer box it is around -18/-20 on electric & 0º/1º in fridge . On gas the freezer stays the same but fridge is around 4º & 12v it is roughly the same as long as the engine is running. Tends to rise if parked on 12 v.
This is with an ambient shade temp of 35/37º but van is parked in sun all day from around 11,30a.m . Internal temperature at 6pm when I was working in it last night was 46ºc.
& the external fans were running this morning at 7,30am.

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Just read this from start to finish and what a fabulous thread it is. Keep it coming Lenny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Sorry missed your post, when we were in France it was 31, with the fans ruinning performance was just about acceptable, 8 deg at the bottom 4 at the top. Whithout the fans 7 at the top 11 at the bottom.
As soon as my hand has healed I will be fitting an internal fan.

No worries and appreciate the feedback.

Currently in France and experiencing temps of 35c in the shade but thanks to following your modification, the fridge & freezer are running similar temps to the ones you've reported. I will be watching with interest once you're able to set to the internal fan mod. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery following your op.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Mine works a treat. Around now they tends to run permanently. In the freezer box it is around -18/-20 on electric & 0º/1º in fridge . On gas the freezer stays the same but fridge is around 4º & 12v it is roughly the same as long as the engine is running. Tends to rise if parked on 12 v.
This is with an ambient shade temp of 35/37º but van is parked in sun all day from around 11,30a.m . Internal temperature at 6pm when I was working in it last night was 46ºc.
& the external fans were running this morning at 7,30am.

We got up to 39c internal temp whilst at Mende the other night, phew that was hot, so to have temps of 46c makes me come out in a sweat just thinking about it!

My temps are similar to Lenny's but admittedly I've not tried it on ehu whilst we've been away and no doubt once we return to Blighty, we'll not see temps that high:(

With ambient temps up in the low 30's, whilst driving so running on 12v fridge temps will rise to 8 or 10c and although I've not measured the freezer, I know it's not as effective because my magnum ice cream is much softer:whistle:

Just out of interest, Is your setup similar to Lenny's?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Suffering from acute Modification Withdrawal Syndrome, just had to do something to the van.:ROFLMAO:

Fitted another USB and a 12v outlet, used @Neckender idea of fitting them in the seat base. A good position for access and saved buying expenive posy bezels.
Wired back to the Elektroblock on one of the spare ouputs.

P1110173.JPG

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Suffering from acute Modification Withdrawal Syndrome, just had to do something to the van.:ROFLMAO:

Fitted another USB and a 12v outlet, used @Neckender idea of fitting them in the seat base. A good position for access and saved buying expenive posy bezels.
Wired back to the Elektroblock on one of the spare ouputs.

View attachment 169745
Not my original idea @Lenny HB but Rex @ludo showed me his van mods and I did the same.

John.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
After much searching the newer Hymer surrounds can be purchased from "Clearcut Conversions on phoning they were extremely helpful and yes they do sell the correct frames (They are called "Chrome Square Design") and yes they will put together whatever combo of sockets etc required or just sell on the frames. So posting for info apologies for small hijack Lenny.
https://clearcutconversions.co.uk/p...components/12v-and-240v-sockets-and-switches/
No connection just impressed with their helpfulness over the phone and speedy delivery

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They are CBE ones not quite the same as the ones Hymer use (I think Hymer ones are Berker). The 12v sockets are almost identical, mains socket similar but no hinged cover, the switches are quite different but OK if not too close to a Hymer one. I used one for my inverter remote switch.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't like the way the cab seats lock in the 180º position so a little mod was in order.
A peg on the release arm locks into a V groove in the turntable, there is a groove in both top and bottom sections of the turntable as only the bottom one rotates it was just a case of stopping the peg locating in the bottom one.
My tempory solution was to glue with epoxy a piece of plastic across the groove and it works a treat. We will see how long it lasts, if not that long a perminant fix will be to weld a piece of steel in place.

P1110169.JPG

I used a double glazing window packer as it had a nice serrated surface to grip the adhesive, yes I did remove the burrs from my filing but forgot to take another photo before putting the seat base cover back.

P1110171.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I have done the same Lenny but using aluminium flat bar cut to length, roughened the surface and used Araldite Rapid to fix in place. Had a lot of use over this last month and what a differance it makes.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Of course I was forgetting yours are the European type, mines a U.K. Spec so no covers over the 3 pin outlets.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Busy modding this afternoon, changed the single 230vac socket above side seat. On removal of decor side panel interesting to see it's all pre-cut for additional switches saved measuring. I fitted a double with 1 x 230vac socket and a 12vdc socket with coax and sat connectors. Our tv is mounted in the overhead locker and slides out for viewing into the narrowest point in the van at the cooker. Not good when herself is preparing meals intention is to resite tv but until an agreeable solution is found it will sit on the table or on a box on the seat OK when only two of us.
IMG_5611.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG
IMG_5614.JPG
IMG_5615.JPG

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
IMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5622.JPG
Final mod of the day and the last for now. Been sussing where to fit a double USB socket for some time. After careful measuring fitted it on the drivers side as photo's. One obstacle was the lack of any suitable 12vdc power supplies in this area, so had to thread through a suitable cable from a spare outlet, not any easy task on the hottest day of the year and there's a lot of obstacles in the double floor going across diagonally from the Leisure battery compartment. Also fitted an isolating switch below unit, but well chuffed with end result.
Many thanks to Lenny for agreeing to allow me to add a couple of my mods to his excellent thread.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure why my photos decided to post themselves sideways :0)
I find that any photos that are turned 90 degrees before being posted always turn themselves back when uploaded ... not sure why as they're okay on my laptop, I find that I have to turn them again so they show 'wrong' on my laptop so they show the right way up on the website ... weird!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've noticed it often happens with photos taken on Crapple products.
Mine was taken on my Fuji S8200 camera! :rolleyes:

Just had a 'test' to see if it's my software but it's not, it's something the forum must be doing showing it in the 'original' orientation.

Last edited:

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Folks

Sorry to ask about an old post, just purchased thermostatic temp controllers and Arctic F12 fans for fridge mod, can anyone tell me which is the 12v dc pos and neg on the Arctic fans?
I have two F12 which have black, yellow, green. Plus an 80mm F8 which has black, red and yellow.

Also how did you get the temp sensor into the fridge, the only hole I can find has the fridges on temp sensor wire and not enough space for another wire, has anyone drilled throgh the side of the fridge?

Andy

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Finaly got around to fitting the internal fridge fan. Spent several days measuring temperatures first and quite an improvement with an internal fan. This was the hot week where outside temps were 27 - 30 deg.

upload_2017-6-30_22-7-28.png

Decided to use one of the mini PCB controllers so tha everything could be mounted inside the fridge with only a power feed required.

upload_2017-6-30_22-10-28.jpeg

Original plan was to pick up power from the door switch but only 10v measured there so must be fed from the control electronics so that was non starter.
Took off the fins and it was easy to feed the cable through the hole when the fridge sensor came through.

upload_2017-6-30_22-14-41.jpeg

Mounted the fan and controller on one of the useless strips they give you too hold things on the shelves, just fits on the shelf no fixing required. Set initial temp to 6 deg.

P1110190.JPG

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Folks

Sorry to ask about an old post, just purchased thermostatic temp controllers and Arctic F12 fans for fridge mod, can anyone tell me which is the 12v dc pos and neg on the Arctic fans?
I have two F12 which have black, yellow, green. Plus an 80mm F8 which has black, red and yellow.

Also how did you get the temp sensor into the fridge, the only hole I can find has the fridges on temp sensor wire and not enough space for another wire, has anyone drilled throgh the side of the fridge?

Andy
Normally black neg, yellow pos, when using 2 wires but best to do a bit of Googling as can vary between manufacturers.

If you are fitting the fans to the external grill the sensor needs to be above the fins on the rear of the fridge, see my post here.

Chablais

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Lenny,

Thanks for the info, it was different on each type of fan, I emailed Arctic and they came back to me within the day, good service. I have placed my fans just under the roof vent, and the sensor on the top row of fins as you said. Now also fitted an 80mm fan inside the fridge, wired to it's own controller, I screwed it to the roof of the fridge up against the fins, blowing down, but think I may need to try different positions.
Also wired the S+ from my solar controller while in the fridge wiring, I know gas is the way, but thought may as well use excess solar as it only gets wasted.
Just ordered the Victron BMS 702 so another wire to pull through the floor of the van!!!
How many AH of batteries do you have on board?
I would love more but must be coming close to my weight limit, once mods completed next job is the weighbridge.
Out of interest why did you fit the voltage controller, presume this is only to protect from poorly regulated hookups?
Thanks for brilliant posts

Andy

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I tried a high performance 80mm fan inside the fridge but a 120mm shifts more air and is quieter so stuck with that.

I don't normally use EHU, fitted the voltage protection unit in the last van for a long ferry crossing as ships genny's can be a bit iffy. As I had the unit around I fitted it, quite a useful device it protects from under & over voltage & spikes.

I have 234 a/h of batteries (3 x 78 a/h Gels), and 200 watts of solar, may fit another 100 w panel.
When fully loaded with full tanks still have 500 - 600 kg of spare payload.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Lenny, what a great post, I've read front to back several times and picked up loads of tips, just 2 questions concerning the fridge set up, 1) did the wiring for the external fans come with the fans or controller 2) could you post the link where you brought the internal fan and PCB controller as I am certainly going to do these 2 mods

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back