Leisure electrics dead - and no wiring diagram (1 Viewer)

nigelord

Free Member
May 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've owned a LHD McLouis MH from new (2015) and was always rather surprised that it wasn't supplied with a full instruction manual, just a collection of rather badly translated booklets for the electrical units fitted - including Truma CP and NordEletettronica NE274 control panels and NE186 battery charger. There's nothing covering the wiring of the solar panel and certainly no overall wiring diagram.
Recently, the thing I've long been worried about has happened - a fault in the electrical system - and I haven't a clue where to look for the problem. It follows my fitting of a new starter battery after the original one kept losing its charge - and then discovering the leisure side of the installation had stopped working completely: none of the control panels are active and all the electrical circuits are down.
I have a decent knowledge of electrical/electronic systems, and if past experience is anything to go by, complete failure problems are usually the easiest to solve, but without a wiring diagram things get rather tricky. I would imagine McLouis MHs are wired much the same as other makes/models; if anyone could offer advice on where to look for the problem - or at least point me in the right direction - I'd be most obliged.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I don’t think any MH manufacturer supples a wiring diagram

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
not wishing to suggest or tell you to suck eggs, but have you started off with the basics, checking connections are tight, then moving onto fuses and isolation switches? might be worth spending a bit of time finding where the fuses and isolation switches are?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Your facts say "split charge" to me, since it connects both together. It will have a fuse. Have you looked close to Hab battery for a local fuse.

Though in this case I would expect the Hab side to come on if on hook up.

OP
OP
N

nigelord

Free Member
May 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Many thanks for the replies. To answer a couple of the points raised...

I didn't really expect a wiring diagram to be included (though a simple block diagram of the component parts would have been helpful). My main concern was that there wasn't even anything telling you where things like the fuse boxes are! And this, of course, relates to what is mentioned in a couple of the other posts. I've checked all the fuses that I know about - but this doesn't necessarily mean I've found them all (I've had a couple of cars in the past that 'helpfully' split the fuses up between different panels).

But Brian's point about a 'split charge' issue does sound promising as a line of investigation. Unfortunately, with the virus situation, I can't really move the MH to somewhere there's a hook-up to see what happens when connected to the mains.

One issue that I would welcome help with is how you get access to the leisure battery on a Ducato 250. As I mentioned, it's a LHD model, which means the battery is under the passenger seat. But try as I might I don't seem to be able to find the right bolts/screws to raise the seat to get access to it. Anyone got any tips?

Nigel

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you don't know how the electrics are put together, you could take a look at this web site. They do Nordelettronica items, including your NE274 panel. More to the point, they do complete kits which include your panel, and there's downloadable wiring diagrams and installation instructions.

Obviously they won't be identical to yours but will give you a good idea of the general layout and where to start looking for faults.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think you have to remove the seat totally to get at the battery ? Beware too, the seats are mighty heavy, have a space cleared for it before you lift it.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I believe the starter battery is in a void under the passenger footwell, not the seat?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Have a look at the controller for a small reset button, about the size of a toothpick.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Have a look at the fuses under the drivers seat, you can remove the trim from behind the seat, same goes for passenger seat

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t think any MH manufacturer supples a wiring diagram

Autotrail do - very handy when they go wrong. (y)

My current van - IH don't. A right pain in the butt when they go wrong (n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First line of attack..... It appears because of lockdown you haven't been out in the van?
If its been stood for the last 5 or 6 weeks chances are the hab battery is dead.
The battery will self discharge plus some bits and pieces such as the control panel still draw power.
Find the battery and stick a multimeter on it.
The seat doesn't 'tip' you have to remove it completely... Usually 2 bolts at the front of the base and 2 in the runners at the back, and it's heavy.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think the first thing to check is whether the battery supply is reaching the distribution box. The wiring diagram shows a direct connection to both batteries, at three big terminals: Leisure battery (LB) positive, Van Battery (VB) positive, and common negative. If no supply, you can check the fuses/isolator switches, connections, flat battery etc. If supply is present, then you can concentrate on the distribution box.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
First point is check charge of leisure battery not the engine battery if it’s flat nothing will work

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
I've owned a LHD McLouis MH from new (2015) and was always rather surprised that it wasn't supplied with a full instruction manual, just a collection of rather badly translated booklets for the electrical units fitted - including Truma CP and NordEletettronica NE274 control panels and NE186 battery charger. There's nothing covering the wiring of the solar panel and certainly no overall wiring diagram.
Recently, the thing I've long been worried about has happened - a fault in the electrical system - and I haven't a clue where to look for the problem. It follows my fitting of a new starter battery after the original one kept losing its charge - and then discovering the leisure side of the installation had stopped working completely: none of the control panels are active and all the electrical circuits are down.
I have a decent knowledge of electrical/electronic systems, and if past experience is anything to go by, complete failure problems are usually the easiest to solve, but without a wiring diagram things get rather tricky. I would imagine McLouis MHs are wired much the same as other makes/models; if anyone could offer advice on where to look for the problem - or at least point me in the right direction - I'd be most obliged.
I know this was a long time ago, but did you get it sorted in the end? As my NE274 is dead too.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I know this was a long time ago, but did you get it sorted in the end? As my NE274 is dead too.
what is yor problem Peregrinator someone here will be able to help
does your cab battery work, is youru fuse located next to the hab abttery look ok.
is the control panel on, and is the 12v switch turned on

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
what is yor problem Peregrinator someone here will be able to help
does your cab battery work, is youru fuse located next to the hab abttery look ok.
is the control panel on, and is the 12v switch turned on
NE274 display panel shows nothing, many people seem to have had this problem when they removed or changed the battery, has I did, suspect a bug with display panel to reset, as it does have the facility to shut down when battery is low, need to know how to reset this damm thing.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
seven years old if its the original battery that would be my first port of call does anything work when on hook up?

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Ask these people. They also have some diagrams in their download section via the drop down menu.
Asked, they had no idea, I don't need wire diagram or board diagrams, I need circuit & signal diagrams.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back