Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
i think my leisure battery is coming to the end of its life it charges on run to full power but after a couple of days it seems to lose some of its charge,ive tried a smart charger and it showed 60% but left it on to charge fully but after a week it went down again the led lights worked but the fluorescents were dim,is it time tonite the bullet and replace it.
cheers for any suggestions.

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
nothing i can find the 12 volt is turned off at the panel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Are you saying that you charge the batteries then use the power for a few days then charge again..? ie: lights pumps tv..? Is it getting a regular charge via solar or EHU..?

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
It charged on a long run and lasted for a while the I used a smart charger and it lasted for a week

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It charged on a long run and lasted for a while the I used a smart charger and it lasted for a week
You mean the van is just standing doing nothing, not used at all...?

sorry if it’s me... just trying to get the facts so you get the right answers...👍🏼

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
At the moment but 2 weeks ago I done 340 miles on a trip and it charged fine

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well in that case it looks like it’s coming to an end... what battery is it and how old..?

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
it’s a bosch 80ah i don’t know how old i’ve only had the van for 12 months it’s 06 autosleepers duetto

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
Why is that there’s 2 under. The seat and there’s a label on it

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Invest in a good Leisure battery and maybe a solar panel to keep it topped up, I’d also get he fluorescent lights and others change to LED’s..

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
ive got leds all round apart from fluorescents on ceiling.when you said it didn’t seem like a leisure battery what did you mean?

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
could be there’s 2 batteries under the seat the other ones a Varta but when I put a smart charger on it it was full and the Bosch was only 40 per cent

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be there’s 2 batteries under the seat the other ones a Varta but when I put a smart charger on it it was full and the Bosch was only 40 per cent
Don't understand that.
Both batteries should be physically linked together so whatever the voltage and percentage on one will be identical on the other.... Unless you disconnected and charged them seperately.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Guess the first thing you need to do is determine which battery is which if you believe one to be a leisure and the other a vehicle battery.

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
The only way to do that is disconnect the battery is that right?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m no expert and getting all the info and the full picture is not forthcoming... we’ll get there in the end and sort it...👍🏼

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Any chance of pictures of your batteries set-up....

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If I have read this correctly, the O.P. has a Varta starter battery and two Bosh Leisure batteries under the seats ? Moving on, The leisure batteries will have a reduced life span if allowed to discharge more than 50 % of their total capacity and the more this happens the quicker the batteries will loose their capacity and die. It's hard to tell from the information supplied how they are being used but I suspect they are allowed to be significantly discharged before being charged up again. If this is so they could be on there last legs. I would advise to give them a full charge on hook up for at least 36 hours and then see how they perform and take it from there.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! I have it now, 2 Bosh leisure batteries , probably the 90 A.H LFD 90. Give them a full charge as stated above and take it from there. How long have you had them.

OP
OP
Rabc

Rabc

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7 years
No there is only one leisure battery side by side under the seat I surmised that the leisure battery was the Bosch because it had a lable on and when I attached the smart charger it was on 60 percent.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No there is only one leisure battery side by side under the seat I surmised that the leisure battery was the Bosch because it had a lable on and when I attached the smart charger it was on 60 percent.
If the engine is still starting OK, it's almost certainly the habitation battery that's come to the end of it's life.

I've just had to get ours replaced. Details on this link. Unfortunately, I'm not really strong enough to be handling large 25kg batteries and manoeuvring into the required space, so needed to find somebody to do it. There's nothing difficult, just the weight.

In case it's of help, I found Halfords sell a selection, but they wouldn't install it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the engine is still starting OK, it's almost certainly the habitation battery that's come to the end of it's life.

I've just had to get ours replaced. Details on this link. Unfortunately, I'm not really strong enough to be handling large 25kg batteries and manoeuvring into the required space, so needed to find somebody to do it. There's nothing difficult, just the weight.

In case it's of help, I found Halfords sell a selection, but they wouldn't install it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back