Leisure battery supply+fit - Bristol/Somerset area (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Needing a replacement leisure battery and fitting in our PVC, and would welcome any suggestions or recommendations in the Bristol / North Somerset areas.

Thanks. (y)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Highbridge caravans , Highbridge , tell them Tony from Felixstowe Suffolk recommend them

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Highbridge caravans , Highbridge , tell them Tony from Felixstowe Suffolk recommend them
Agree, they are an obvious choice and I'll ring them to check tomorrow. But, going by past experience, they want any jobs booked about 3-6 months in advance.

Appreciate the suggestion. (y)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Agree, they are an obvious choice and I'll ring them to check tomorrow. But, going by past experience, they want any jobs booked about 3-6 months in advance.

Appreciate the suggestion. (y)
I thought you may be desperate , I live 300 odd miles away from them I would not use them only out of desperation

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
UPDATE

So yesterday morning I telephoned Highbridge Caravans - where the MH was purchased new by me, and where all the habitation services have been done. Reply, 'I'll just have to check and ring you back in a few minutes.' They didn't, so I called back this morning and, after much umming and ahing, they said they could supply and fit a replacement habitation battery... at the end of September. Oh and they would need to have the vehicle for a minimum of 3 days, because of their COVID-19 standards.'

After that, I called Davan Caravans at Worle. Very switched on on the phone and deeply apologetic that the earliest they could fit me in was 21 August. But they'd happily get me booked in.

Next I decided to take the van and just try around our local town a couple of miles away, where there is a Kwik-Fit. KF say on their website they sell leisure batteries, but unfortunately our local store didn't. However, I'd noticed on the website that they would only supply, but won't fit. Anyway, the manager said he could fit it if I wanted to order one online from them, and I'd get an appointment time for it to be done. However, when he looked at where it fitted he asked if I'd dismantle and remove some of the blown-air piping so there was no risk of them damaging it.

After that I called in at another large local tyre dealer, where they were happy to do it but when they checked with their supplier, they couldn't get the right size battery?

Round the corner is a normal garage that does work on motorhomes, so I called in there. Very helpful, but of course said, we don't stock any batteries, but why not try the Parts Store on the High Street (which is a standard retail motor factors). And which I hadn't actually considered.

So I called in at the Parts Store and BINGO they'd not only got the right one, but yes, they'd be happy to fit it.

In less than 10 minutes I was on my way with a shinny new habitation battery installed (without any fitting charge). I didn't have any cash in my wallet, but feeling generous and pleased, I said add ÂŁ10 to the credit card bill for helping me out - but he wouldn't hear of it! And in these coronavirus times I couldn't even shake his hand...

Their service was First Class! (y)

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice on here.

Not easy to get a motorhome dealer to supply and fit a new hab battery when you want one... ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Give Tom a ring at Mullacott Cross Caravans, Ilfracombe. Brilliant with all thing electrical on Motorhomes. Spend a couple of days in sunny North Devon as well. 01271 863066
The trouble with the big dealers at the moment is they are too busy to help.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I always recommend Halfords!

Nationwide warranty, a walk in service and cheap!

Sadly like many others we have a shop full of Duracell batteries wet and AGM batteries, and a store full of Lithium batteries by Victron, Dometic and Sterling but are looking at September to book anything

And that is with our technicians volunteering to work Saturdays and late nights

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I always recommend Halfords!

Nationwide warranty, a walk in service and cheap!

I agree, Halfords is a handy option.

They stock a good range of leisure batteries and when I called the local store they confirmed they had the one I wanted.

I asked if they could fit it? Answer, no sorry, we don't fit leisure batteries, only engine batteries??

They were, however, otherwise helpful and offered to carry the battery out to the van.

Unfortunately, I'm not physically up to lifting the battery and manoeuvring it into the required position. Otherwise installation is straightforward.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back