Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi everyone, I got a question if someone can please explain to me about the leisure battery on my van. As this is new to me & I am not too bad with technology but I don't know the difference between the computer on my van showing leisure battery Amp 0% & leisure battery voltage 12.0 ? Which is the one I need to ensure to ensure my battery is charged & what do the both mean.. I had to disconnect my leisure battery in Feb & reconnect it as nothing was working so I need to make sure my leisure battery is charged. I am going to use sites with electric until I understand the leisure battery& I can hook up the van on the drive to electric if this maintains it. I have a space for another leisure battery but I really don't understand the difference between the amp & voltage . Please bear in mind I am a woman & Leisure batteries are not my strongest points!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
One thing's for sure, only 12 volts on your L.B. is grim, (12.6 - 12.7 is fully charged )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi everyone, I got a question if someone can please explain to me about the leisure battery on my van. As this is new to me & I am not too bad with technology but I don't know the difference between the computer on my van showing leisure battery Amp 0% & leisure battery voltage 12.0 ? Which is the one I need to ensure to ensure my battery is charged & what do the both mean.. I had to disconnect my leisure battery in Feb & reconnect it as nothing was working so I need to make sure my leisure battery is charged. I am going to use sites with electric until I understand the leisure battery& I can hook up the van on the drive to electric if this maintains it. I have a space for another leisure battery but I really don't understand the difference between the amp & voltage . Please bear in mind I am a woman & Leisure batteries are not my strongest points!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question501.htm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Calow

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Aw ok but it has been standing for almost 2wks and not connected to electric so does this mean there maybe a problem as the battery is new? Also when I was away last the volts went up to 13.7 is this normal? Thanks for your input, any advice would be appreciated. The company I bought it advised to get a solar panel fitted as I can almost forget about the leisure battery draining.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Aw ok but it has been standing for almost 2wks and not connected to electric so does this mean there maybe a problem as the battery is new? Also when I was away last the volts went up to 13.7 is this normal? Thanks for your input, any advice would be appreciated. The company I bought it advised to get a solar panel fitted as I can almost forget about the leisure battery draining.

13.7 v would be on hook up - we live very near Ammanford if you'd like to us to look at it for you.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You need to use volts to see how the battery is doing.
12v is technically flat
12.7 is fully charged an hour or two after removing charger.
You can't easily measure amps IN the battery.

Amps is the amount of electric you are using at any Given time.

Volts are like the quantity of water in a bucket....the bucket is full, the volts are high

Amps are how fast or slow you pour the water out...the faster you pour is like using a lot of amps in a short time.
Pouring slower is less amps over a longer time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Calow

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Aw that's very kind of you. I will probably take you up on that but i do have a very long week in work this week but I would love for someone experienced to explain it to me when it is convenient. If you can let me know when it is convenient with you that would be fantastic or I can get the van near to you guys. Thanks very much that is really appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Calow

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On a more positive note the van is really self explanatory so far & so easy to use & looking forward to lots of fun travelling. Much easier than the touring caravan than I had but had to save for this big purchase so no regrets at all & I am enjoying every bit regardless of the teething problems but everyone gets this at some stage I guess. I can give loads of advice on properties but not on this purchase so thanks for those that have advised me on the van.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Aw that's very kind of you. I will probably take you up on that but i do have a very long week in work this week but I would love for someone experienced to explain it to me when it is convenient. If you can let me know when it is convenient with you that would be fantastic or I can get the van near to you guys. Thanks very much that is really appreciated.

P.M. sent (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stevey b

Free Member
Apr 24, 2017
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Zero
So the point on amps or current as it's also known is right Voltage is required to 'push' amps, we are all used terms like 60watts at twelve volts that 'draws' five amps from your battery, without getting to bogged down in techie ville have a google of ohms law, it's straightforward although hardly fun!

Another point of interest is the difference between leisure batteries and vehicle batteries, a vehicle battery is designed to provide high current to start your engine on demand for relatively short 'bursts' of time whereas a leisure battery is designed to provide smaller to medium current capabality for much longer periods than a vehicle or 'starter' battery.

Finally and even more boringly....charging voltage for a twelve volt battery is around 13.8volts DC, and once the engine stops will gradually decline to around the 12v mark.

Steve b

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back