Leisure Battery Wiring Query. (1 Viewer)

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Having read many posts I feel that fitting a battery monitor would be beneficial. Thinking of fitting a Victron BMV - 712 Smart. Today I got the motorhome (Burstner Ixeo 674G) from storage and had a good look at the batteries and current wiring. in preparation. I have two 95amp batteries in garage area. On looking at the wiring I was quite surprised, the second battery is wired to the other battery positive to positive and neg to neg I would estimate the wire used is 2-3 mm thick and the positive wire is fused. Is this ok or should it be wired differently. The main leads on the first battery are about 4-5mm thick not the size of normal battery cable. The second battery was fitted by Chelston when I purchased the van new in 2010. I have not had any problems with this set up but your thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The wiring is way undersized should be 25 mm sq which is about 11 mm dia.
But it is configured correctly.
Connecting Pos to Neg will give you 24v and 95amps.
Wired as is will give 12v and 190amps.....or it would with new batteries.
If they were fitted in 2010 they've done exceptionally well. They will need replacing in the near future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
theapples
Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for this, it puts my mind at rest. I'll beef up the two thinner connecting wires when I wire in the BVI, the main wires cannot be changed they are the original wiring loom. These batteries are 31/2 years old hence the monitor so I can keep an eye on them and not be caught out when first set failed in Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back