Leisure battery running low even when hooked up to mains (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2021
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
6 years - Caravanning before that
Morning all, my leisure battery is losing charge fairly quickly which I assume means it's on the way out, but my question is this...when hooked up at home it's showing about 12 1/2 but as soon as I use any electric, after a few minutes the lights trip out and Battery Aux Low comes up on the control panel (after a few beeps) then all the lights go off...but the electric stuff plugged in to the sockets are still running? is this just because my battery is dying or do I have an underlying problem? will a new battery fix it? Thanks in advance for a non-technical answer.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Your leisure battery on hook up should be showing more than 12.5v it should be around 13.5v if its in float or about 14.2v if charging. I suspect your onboard charger isn't working correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gail-force
Aug 18, 2021
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Thanks Diabalo, is it an easy (ish) fix?....or more accurately is it an expensive fix?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
check youve not turned it of by mistake not sure on your particular van but some have a switch or it may be in a control panel setting do you have the option to switch it from cab to hab battery?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a fault on the charger/distribution unit, even if the battery has had it everything should still work if on EHU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks Diabalo, is it an easy (ish) fix?....or more accurately is it an expensive fix?
No idea really, it could be as simple as a fuse, check them first and any switches/breakers.

The 240v side is independent of the 12v system so it shows that power is coming into the van, the 12v battery charger is powered by the mains so you need to make sure the battery charger is getting power.

A multi meter is your friend with plenty of guides on YouTube on how to use them.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You need to do some tests using an electrical tester, and know what you’ve got to get a decent prognosis otherwise it’s just guessing at what is going on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gail-force
Aug 18, 2021
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
Hi all, I have 2 threads running with problems on my van, one is this one and I also have a problem with my Truma heating not working...thanks to the combined helpfulness of everyone here it was mooted that all the problems could stem from my duff leisure battery...so I scrounged a spare from my brother (Thanks Andrew!) and fitted it myself (OK, not a great achievement for most of you, but I'm chuffed) and ta-dah! everything now works...I suppose in hindsight the heating won't work on Gas cos the fan can't spin without electric (Duh!) but anyway, many thanks for all your help and hopefully someone may have the same problem, read this thread and also fix their van!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We had that problem, had accidentally switched the charger off, didn’t find out for over a year oops thank goodness for solar

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back