Leisure battery location (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
I've been having trouble with my power. My 400w inverter to charge my laptop (60w) has not been getting enough power to charge for very long.

I got a new leasure battery today (Exide er650) and have driven four hours - so I assume it will have charged up.
But with two lights on, the inverter - if I switch one more light on the inverter goes throws up a red light.

I am now begining to wonder if it's the cold.

On my Laika the leisure battery is outside underneath the vehicle in a locked cabinet.

Would it be possible to insulate it or should I bring it inside and put it under the underseat storage?

Cheers

Luke

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The capacity of a battery will reduce with temperature by approx 1° for every degree below 25°, it is worse the higher the load.

The ER600 is not the most popular battery so could have been in stock a while so in a low state of charge. If so if will take more that a few hours driving to fully charge it.

Your load is quite low inverter with that load should only be drawing about 6 amps.
What size cable is the inverter connect with & the length as like Richard says sounds like it's dropping out due to low voltage.

I would fully charge the battery via the vans mains charger for 24 hours so it gets a full charge with an absorbtion phase.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
The capacity of a battery will reduce with temperature by approx 1° for every degree below 25°, it is worse the higher the load.

The ER600 is not the most popular battery so could have been in stock a while so in a low state of charge. If so if will take more that a few hours driving to fully charge it.

Your load is quite low inverter with that load should only be drawing about 6 amps.
What size cable is the inverter connect with & the length as like Richard says sounds like it's dropping out due to low voltage.

I would fully charge the battery via the vans mains charger for 24 hours so it gets a full charge with an absorbtion phase.
Thanks guys. Booked into a campsite tomorrow so I'll stick her on charge!

It's a 1.5 foot cable connected from the inverter to the TV socket (12v lighter socket)

It looks like it's going to be cold this winter, so is there a way I can insulate the battery? Maybe some sort of fabric around it to stop the temperature drop?

Thanks !

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If its mounted outside insulation won't help much all it will do is slow down the rate of cooling.

With the inverter plugged into a socket in the van there will be a few meters of fairly thin cable back to the battery giving a volt drop.

With a laptop more efficient to use a 12v charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
lukebolger better to wire the inverter direct to the leisure battery with suitable size cables than connect it to a 12v TV outlet.
My dedicated 12v TV socket is only rated at 4amps max.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Hello everyone! Another electrical related question...

Since I've plugged into the hookup, all of the sockets are working fine 🤠

But! Now the 12v lights are dimmer (the led one I installed is very dim!). I'm not sure what is going on really.

The control panel is set to charge the leasure battery,band it's showing fully charged when I press the button.

The control panel shows a din red on the 240v hookup light, and a red light on the battery icon.

Should it be green? Does that indicate a fault?

Many thanks!

IMG_20221213_190227_240.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If anything they should be brighter.
Running on battery the voltage will be around 12.3 to 12.7v, when on EHU it will be 13.6 to 14.4v

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Okay! I have had a look on an italian forum using google translate. Many articles on there about changing the battery charger, as it's apparently complete garbage and inccapable of properly charfging a aux battery!

I have found a guide to swap over the old charger for a newer one that does a much better job!

I just wanted to check that it hasn't already been done, before I buy the new one.

Can anyone tell me where the charger is located and how I might gain access to it?

Thanks!

The guide is here

new charger is here

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Unfortunately when you are investigating possible faults with the battery, fuses, wiring and panel electronics you really need to take some voltage readings with a multimeter at strategic points. Without those readings you are simply guessing and hoping. A cheap multimeter for a tenner or so from a DIY store is fine for this kind of measurement. It's quite easy and safe to take voltage readings in a 12V system. Are you OK with using a multimeter, have you used one before?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
That lower right switch doesn't look right to me. The one that switches between the auxiliary battery and the engine battery. Is it possible that it's a bit broken and not switching properly?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Unfortunately when you are investigating possible faults with the battery, fuses, wiring and panel electronics you really need to take some voltage readings with a multimeter at strategic points. Without those readings you are simply guessing and hoping. A cheap multimeter for a tenner or so from a DIY store is fine for this kind of measurement. It's quite easy and safe to take voltage readings in a 12V system. Are you OK with using a multimeter, have you used one before?
Yes I will buy one today :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Weirdly, just switched the extractor fan on for my oven and the led lights have gone back to their usual brigtlhtness :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Got a voltmeter. Battery is on 11.92v. Goes up to 12.98v with the engine running. I havent managed to take a reading while on hookup, as I only got the voltmeter today, and we left hookup yesterday. But having barely used the appliances I assume (as I have read online) the charger in these Laika's is rubbish, hence it not being very charged only one day out from hookup.

So I have purchased a new charger to replace the old one. But I cannot locate the old one!

The Laika manual says it is located 'inside of kitchen wall cabinet". Other forum posts online say it may be under the step or behind the step.

Does anyone happen to know where these are located? As the kitchen wall cabinet doesn't come apart, I am going to have to start cutting randomly if I am to find it and that doesnt seem wise!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Under the double floor or under one of the cab seats.
Do you k ow what charger unit it has?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Got a voltmeter. Battery is on 11.92v. Goes up to 12.98v with the engine running. I havent managed to take a reading while on hookup, as I only got the voltmeter today, and we left hookup yesterday. But having barely used the appliances I assume (as I have read online) the charger in these Laika's is rubbish, hence it not being very charged only one day out from hookup.

So I have purchased a new charger to replace the old one. But I cannot locate the old one!

The Laika manual says it is located 'inside of kitchen wall cabinet". Other forum posts online say it may be under the step or behind the step.

Does anyone happen to know where these are located? As the kitchen wall cabinet doesn't come apart, I am going to have to start cutting randomly if I am to find it and that doesnt seem wise!
With only 12.9v when engine running there would appear to be more wrong than just the charger.
can you measure cab battery with engine running?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With only 12.9v when engine running there would appear to be more wrong than just the charger.
The battery was low so the voltage won't rise that fast until it has taken on a fair bit of charge and the internal resistance has risen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
I will do in the morning ☺️

I should say that the readings I got were from the wire connectors for my inverter when it was plugged into the 12v tv socket.

In the morning I shall take a reading directly off the battery :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Something tells me I'm going to have an intimate knowledge of 1990's Italian electrical engineering before this Laika is finished with me

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If it's a big problem, you don't actually need to find the mains charger. I'm sure that 15A fuse in the lowest slot on the panel will be for the charger output, so you can remove it to disconnect the mains charger from the battery. Then you can connect the new charger direct to the battery. That will get the battery back up to full charge again. What new charger did you get? Is is a smart charger?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
If it's a big problem, you don't actually need to find the mains charger. I'm sure that 15A fuse in the lowest slot on the panel will be for the charger output, so you can remove it to disconnect the mains charger from the battery. Then you can connect the new charger direct to the battery. That will get the battery back up to full charge again. What new charger did you get? Is is a smart charger?
It's a NORDELETTRONICA NE287

It's the upgraded one they've built to replace the garbage ones they sold everyone in the 90's. But apparently the new one is very good. 5 phase smart charger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
That's the board.

The manual says it's in the kitchen cabinet wall. I guess if I take the control panel off I might be able to trade the charger wire back to the direction of the charger 😄
IMG_20221219_114712_924.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back