Leisure Battery - Is it shot? (1 Viewer)

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Is my 85amp leisure battery shot?

Just replaced the 20 amp fuse which was blown, (don't know why it blew...) and found the battery voltage showed 3volts. Had it on charge for about four hours now, and it is now showing 9.6volts.

What you think. The spec onnthe charger is 3.5 amps output so would this need a good overnight chrage to bring it up?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Is my 85amp leisure battery shot?

Just replaced the 20 amp fuse which was blown, (don't know why it blew...) and found the battery voltage showed 3volts. Had it on charge for about four hours now, and it is now showing 9.6volts.

What you think. The spec onnthe charger is 3.5 amps output so would this need a good overnight chrage to bring it up?

3 volts is extremely bad for a 12v battery.
Suggests the previous owner has not kept it charged.

It may recover.Just keep it on charge for 24 hours and re test after being off the charger for a while.Otherwise you will get a false high reading.

I work it out at 24 hours @ 3.5 max amps charge rate. plus a bit extra for internal resistance.

I agree with above.You may never get the full capacity out of it again.:Sad:

Good Luck.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
how old is it? sounds like its had it id replace it with a 110:Smile:

mark

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Thanks all, i'll leave it overnight and see what tomorrow shows...

Just bought the 'home secondhand and it has a three month no-quibble guarantee from Simpsons on ANY faults found so I may be lucky.

Cheers

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My guess would be the last owner had a duff battery and fitted it beford he sold the van?

The quicker you take it back the better as dealers often quibble on warantee of batterys.

Richard...

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Stuart,

Just have a look to see if all cells are bubbling.( Shine a torch in each ) If one or more are not, you could have a dead cell, I have had experience of this and had to scrap the battery.

David

Geoff

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off for 20 yrs
Hi. If the battery is getting on a bit I doubt the charge efficiency is much over 60%, i.e you will need to input approx 140AH to save 85AH. given that your charge rate will almost certainly drop as battery voltage increases I would think you would need to leave on charge at least 48hrs before the battery reaches anywhere near full charge.

Regards Geoff.​

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when you take it of charge check the voltage then put a low watt bulb(tail light bulb) over the teminals for a few minutes then check again.
if its below around 12v i'd say it was cabbaged.
have a sniff at each cell(tops off, charger off) if any smell of rotten eggs (sulpher) then bin it and buy a 110ah if it will fit.

john.

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
OK, it just got worst. Battery got too hot too touch and statrted ballooning at the sides...

Did I really have to take the seat out and remove the handbrake just to get the battery out? An hour later, sitting in the middle of the lawn it's still very hot....

Guess it's shot?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK, it just got worst. Battery got too hot too touch and statrted ballooning at the sides...

Did I really have to take the seat out and remove the handbrake just to get the battery out? An hour later, sitting in the middle of the lawn it's still very hot....

Guess it's shot?

YOU COULD SAY THAT!!!! :Eeek::Eeek:
while the seats out take a measurement to see if a 110ah will fit.
it does on my 2001 kontiki 640.
you can always measure the battery in store.

hang on!!!! your battery should be under the PASSENGER seat unless they moved it over. i thought they were the same setup as the kontiki. could be wrong though.

john

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
spoke with Simpson at Gt Yarmouth this morning. To say they fell over themselves trying to help is an understatement. They offered for me to have it done locally and send them the bill. Or take it back and they'll sort it.

So i'll take it to them on Saturday and they will do it while I wait.

There is a vacant space under the passenger seat for a battery as well, this is under the drivers seat though... So I may get another 85a as a second leisure battery...

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Glad to hear you've got it all sorted Stuart.

Nice to hear of good customer service.:thumb:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Glad to hear you've got it all sorted Stuart.

Nice to hear of good customer service.:thumb:

Good customer service to me would have been checking it before they sold it, wonder what else they didn't check.

Olley

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Good customer service to me would have been checking it before they sold it, wonder what else they didn't check.

Olley

Good point Olley. Perhaps they use the customer to PDI the vehicle.:Doh:

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User

Olley

good point, but I am convinced it was checked over, because when I picked it up they spent an hour going over ALL the features with me. Hot water, Cold water, Fridge, microwave, CD player, showere, all the drain pumps, all the lockers and catches and ladders, the heating, the hook up, the cassette, etc etc etc.

I think what confused the issue here is the electric hook up was connected and when demonstrating the switch over from vehicle battery to the leisure battery, this masked the problem. It showed the leisure at 13 volts.... From The Charger! :Doh:

When buying, I also noted a number of catches that were tight or broken, these were all oiled or replaced without mention... And a new regulator and two full bottles of gas were added without being asked for....

So, Simposns get my vote. :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi stuey, ok sounds like they just slipped-up, and as you say they are putting it right. Hope you have a lot of fun in the new motorhome.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back