Leisure battery appeared dead but fine on hookup. (1 Viewer)

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
Wonder if anyone has encountered a similar issue or can suggest what's happening.

When I went to the van today, the leisure battery appeared to be dead. The solar readout was blank, the battery-to-battery charger wasn't operating and selecting the battery on the panel showed a red light and alarm.

I ran out the hookup cable and immediately I plugged it in the readout showed the battery had over 13v and was receiving a healthy charge from the solar panel, the b2b charger lit up to show it was working - and everything was back to normal!

I didn't touch anything else, so don't think it was a loose connection - but I'd like to fix the issue so it doesn't happen again!

Thanks for any clues!

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
If battery is knacked will still work on hook up. I have a caravan I leave in Spain battery has been on for ten years and totally knacked but still works when hooked up to mains.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
We once had a newish battery on our caravan that every time we manouverd on the motormover it gave up the ghost despite showing full on the charger and mains. Went out to local dealer and he said they had a similar thing happen on a newly fitted mover and new battery. Took his advice to buy new battery ,end of problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The battery voltage was to low for solar charger to start. The ehu charger boosted the voltage and the 13v you see is the charger voltage. As the voltage raised by the ehu charger, the solar detected the voltage and woke up.
What caused the voltage to go to low? Low capacity, deep discharge ? Not charging suficient?, or duff battery, many variables.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Turn the onboard charger off and watch the voltage reading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back