LED Lights (12v, Internal ) (1 Viewer)

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi all.

Can anyone give recommendations for 12v LED light fittings? I'm want to look at replacement fittings because I'm thinking about "rationalising" the RV and reducing the number of light fittings we have (currently 18 separate internal lights, most of them "double" bulb jobs).
Pointers to web-sites welcomed, and any personal feedback for anything you've done.

Thanks,
Pap
a

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi all.

Can anyone give recommendations for 12v LED light fittings? I'm want to look at replacement fittings because I'm thinking about "rationalising" the RV and reducing the number of light fittings we have (currently 18 separate internal lights, most of them "double" bulb jobs).
Pointers to web-sites welcomed, and any personal feedback for anything you've done.

Thanks,
Pap
a

I have the same set up... only recently I had to re lamp.. kept nicking lamps from fittings that weren't used much.. had to buy no fewer than twelve lamps.. :RollEyes:

To replace all with LEDs would cost a small fortune .. so I had the idea to replace only the most used, with fluorescent fittings on the roof and LED down lighters under the lockers..

However, I will keep the wall lights, nice warm glow in the evening, LEDS are a bit clinical for ambient lighting.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
More questions about LED lighting

My apologies for piggy-backing on your thread Papa :Blush:, but I too have a question about LED lighting and it seems a good place to put it. I have an outside light fitted to the MH with a 12 volt festoon incandescent bulb in it, which I would like to replace with a LED block. Does anyone know if I can use this?

Link Removed

With regard to you query Papa, I've replaced the reading lights with warm white LEDs. They are perhaps a little under illuminating for the purpose (5 light cluster in each) but they don't get blisteringly hot like the halogens and consume a lot less juice. Other than that I'm not a lot of help to you.

Many thanks to everybody.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My apologies for piggy-backing on your thread Papa :Blush:, but I too have a question about LED lighting and it seems a good place to put it. I have an outside light fitted to the MH with a 12 volt festoon incandescent bulb in it, which I would like to replace with a LED block. Does anyone know if I can use this?

Link Removed

With regard to you query Papa, I've replaced the reading lights with warm white LEDs. They are perhaps a little under illuminating for the purpose (5 light cluster in each) but they don't get blisteringly hot like the halogens and consume a lot less juice. Other than that I'm not a lot of help to you.

Many thanks to everybody.

John

hi john,
you might be better off with one of these

Link Removed

angep

Free Member
Jul 12, 2008
S/W Wales
Funster No
Have you considered just replacing the bulbs? Thats what we did bit cheeper and a lot less work, some bulbs were approx £3 others £7.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ho on yesterdays news was a story on leds,admittedly for the home but it said within 2 yrs they were setting up a factory in Cambridge to make leds.They said prices would fall to around £2 and they are world leaders in led technology producing alight of the same ambience / brightness of normal bulbs.No good to you unless you wait :ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why So Expensive ?

Thanks for the link John

But, why are LEDs so expensive.. ? at ~ £10 per lamp it would cost me around £270 to replace all of mine :Eeek: ..

And will a 2 watt LED replacing a 21 watt incandescent, give enough light ? I have my doubts

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I fitted 4 sets of led clusters last summer, I bought the bright white version. I am so pleased with them that I intend to convert the whole van, though I may try the softer "off white" version.

In a resent news item a company announced that it had developed a new way of fabricating the led that should bring the price down, I hope so.

Doug.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've replaced most of mine with LED direct bulb replacements from Aten lighting. The only one's still halogen are the two in the bedroom ceiling, which are rarely used and two wall lights by the table and 3 swivel spots in the bedroom. The halogen bulbs give a warmer light (and a hotter light fitting :roflmto:) but the LEDs appear brighter, though that may just be due to the 'whiter' colour.
They also do a direct replacement for the bulbs usually used for awning lights, mine has 4 bulbs in it so quite expensive to replace with LEDs.
My van has 24 lights so replacing all of them is not a cheap option :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back