LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
This morning I discovered that there is a charity craft shop in Lymington. Run by the local hospice, it’s really well organised, nice staff and full of fabric, knitting yarns, card making, art stuff, all sorts of sewing threads , elastic, ribbons etc..
For anyone visiting the area, as you face Marks and Spencer in the Main Street, the craft shop is about 5 shops to the right, near the pet shop. Oakhaven Hospice also has a children’s shop opposite. ( no children for sale, the clothes, shoes etc.. looked really nice)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I started the socks (two up, two at a time on one circular needle) and am about half way up the foot but may well frog stitch and start again as I am not sure about the pattern I have chosen for the instep, it's just too fussy to do in self striping yarn. I do need a pattern to keep me interested though, it will end up being a variation on rib I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Latest little project finished, still the crochet cotton from my friend's mum. movan , nothing difficult there, well, except keeping track where in the instructions you are for attaching that middle one!
Love the idea of the bubonic mask, but well beyond my sewing capabilities. Had tried to make a mask from my PJ bottom pockets (why put pockets in PJ bottoms?) but thrown away in disgust, but the scarf around the head option didn't work today so it's going to be deep breath and face that pocket mask again. Hate having my mouth and nose covered, even a scarf made me feel as if I was suffocating.
DSC01833.JPG

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Latest little project finished, still the crochet cotton from my friend's mum. movan , nothing difficult there, well, except keeping track where in the instructions you are for attaching that middle one!
Love the idea of the bubonic mask, but well beyond my sewing capabilities. Had tried to make a mask from my PJ bottom pockets (why put pockets in PJ bottoms?) but thrown away in disgust, but the scarf around the head option didn't work today so it's going to be deep breath and face that pocket mask again. Hate having my mouth and nose covered, even a scarf made me feel as if I was suffocating.
View attachment 409549
That is sooo beautiful. I keep coming back and looking at it. How very, very pretty.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Get ready for Granny Square Day

Granny Square Day 2020 falls on Saturday 15th August this year.
Run by Simply Crochet magazine, this is a huge celebration of crochet, hosted on Instagram, which is shared around the world. The aim is to make social media look like a giant virtual blanket.
It is very easy to get involved, make a granny square and on the day post a picture of it, preferably on Instagram, but on other social media channels too using the hashtag #grannysquareday2020.

mail

To inspire crocheters, Simply Crochet magazine is including a booklet of 100 granny squares and motif designs with its 100th issue (on-sale 30th July), in association with the UKHKA.
It is supporting the UK Hand Knitting campaign #YarnShopLove by encouraging crocheters to use our yarn shop map to find where to buy yarn for their squares.
So fetch your hooks out and get ready to share your granny square picture(s).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Love the idea of the bubonic mask, but well beyond my sewing capabilities.

If you use the unpieced pattern and alter the pattern slightly so there are no eye holes (I just drew a curve so the mask fits over the bridge of the nose and sort of smoothed that curve so it went under the eyes it's only 4 pieces of fabric in the outer and four for the lining. I drew round the pattern onto vilene, ironed that onto the outer fabric and then cut out leaving a seam margin. I used the outer fabric as the pattern for the inner fabric - but make sure you have mirror images of the pieces or you will say lots of rude words. :) The curves are not as difficult to sew as you would think - lots of pins matching the marking and when sewn make notches so the curves aren't too bulky.

I've made a few people smile when they see the mask.

I am thinking of making one like a duck's bill - again just adapting the pattern and as a duck's bill isn't as curved that should be easier to sew.

I need to get other stuff done first though. I get panic attacks when i have too many projects on the go at the same time.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Had to laugh, iron? What is that? Oh yes, do you remember Soph, years ago you had to use one of them things at work. Have made a mask now from the PJ bottoms, will try it out tomorrow, decided it didn't need the paperclip nose piece as I wear glasses. Don't like having my mouth and nose covered, that's why I thought the bubonic one would be an option.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Don't like having my mouth and nose covered, that's why I thought the bubonic one would be an option.

I find it much easier to breath with the plague mask - the vilene keeps it all well shaped and away from the nostrils and the mouth :) It also fits really well under the chin.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Loving everyone’s projects. I’m still busy doing my Fruit Garden CAL but in between I‘ve started a mosaic blanket. I’m loving the mosaic it looks difficult but it is nice and easy, doubles into back loop and dropped trebles. It comes out as a nice stripe on the reverse and all those pesky ends are going to be encaps in the border. No sewing in ends.
0BEEE174-2E50-4BFE-9A67-46FB479855D9.jpeg
8F385B0A-D628-4DB6-93D7-64BFA10DD766.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm still trying to get a copy of the Simply Crochet Magazine issue 100 :( I have put it on my grocery order so will see if the supermarket has a copy - neither of the newsagents did when I phoned them.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I'm still trying to get a copy of the Simply Crochet Magazine issue 100 :( I have put it on my grocery order so will see if the supermarket has a copy - neither of the newsagents did when I phoned them.
I know it’s not the same but you can download a digital copy.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
More edging, not really managing to do much at the moment, working very long days. I can pick up and put down the crochet even just for 10 minutes. Although, saying that, today is an easier day, have got the brushes and charcoal out already!

Attachments

• DSC01848.JPG
    DSC01848.JPG
    431.6 KB · Views: 10

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I know it’s not the same but you can download a digital copy.

I might have to do that - it is the free gift of 100 Granny Squares that I want.

I even tried to take out a subscription but it starts at issue 101 and they don't have any copies of issue 100 :( Last week the subscription started at issue 99 and this week it starts at 101 ...... I wish I had ordered the sub last week now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My next projects are to knit jumpers for the rescue hens and also to crochet an egg collecting apron.

Patterns here

and here

but lots more patterns on line. I'll probably make spares in case any one else who is rehoming needs to keep a naked bird warm. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
THere is nothing actually wrong with this hen

1597160541991.png

she is in moult. Commercially hens are replaced when they go into moult because they stop laying (it takes a lot of energy to regrow feathers) and if the weather is bad the hen can get cold / chilled - never a good thing.

I am hoping that the chicken sweater will help the hens keep warm and look more like this:
1597160738856.png

1597160817106.png

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
THere is nothing actually wrong with this hen

View attachment 414879

she is in moult. Commercially hens are replaced when they go into moult because they stop laying (it takes a lot of energy to regrow feathers) and if the weather is bad the hen can get cold / chilled - never a good thing.

I am hoping that the chicken sweater will help the hens keep warm and look more like this:View attachment 414881

View attachment 414882

Aly1
SueTayBon

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Thought you'd probably finish it today! The pipe cleaners do the job then!
Just about but it was flaming fiddly getting the pipe cleaners through the hat and to keep them there while I stitched the ears on. I'll start the adult one tomorrow hopefully.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Another little doily. Starting to feel sorry for my friend now, I've been very productive this year. Guess she can have a stall on the village market!
And movan , before you say anything, it only involves chains, double and treble crochet, nothing complicated. And the day one of us can do something like the spiders managed, now, that will be really clever (yes, I have washed the van now... don't think she'd seen soap since last September o_O )
DSC01883.JPG DSC01881.JPG

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Crumbs I'm loving the craftwork on the teddy on the Repair Shop... :)
I used to have one just like him.....he only had one eye and was very threadbare but I loved him.
They made a lovely job of the one in the programme

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back