LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We picked up our second hand chickens today - 9 in all, 3 for us and 6 for a friend. They had been housed in cages are were a real mess :( No knitted jackets on them yet as it is warm and I want them to settle into their new home (hospital unit to start with) first. One of the chickens that was rescued (not one that was up for rehoming) was totally wingless :cry:. Some of the ones we collected only have the central quill of the flight feathers, poor things.

I'm hoping they will go through a full moult and grow back beautiful glossy brown feathers. They are all commercial hybrids and should eventually look like this

1598113270963.png

at the moment they are more like this:

1598113386772.png

I do have names for them...... Pi(e), Cass(erole) and Soooop. lol Where they may have ended up without the hen rescue people.

Attachments

• 1598113334233.png
    1598113334233.png
    750.5 KB · Views: 13

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry if this is a silly question but will their wings grow back... Or are they limbs. Sorry. :(. Vegetarian so it might be stupid question.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sorry if this is a silly question but will their wings grow back... Or are they limbs. Sorry. :(. Vegetarian so it might be stupid question.

If the wings are de-feathered the feathers grow back but usually only after a full moult. If they are completely wingless I am afraid they stay that way. Not a silly question at all. Some people cut the flight feathers on one wing to stop the birds hopping over fences, it doesn't harm the hen, just puts them off jumping too high as it unbalances them. The flight feathers grow back after moult. We had to do that last year as Chicken-Licken discovered that one of the neighbours had a dog which is fed outside and he doesn't always clear his food dish - she discovered that dog food tastes good and would jump the wall to get to the dog bowl!!!! I've had a rescue hen in the past with only one leg and she managed very well. Unless a bird is suffering they live out their lives here even after they stop laying.

Our new girls have settled in well and are quite vocal. I found one of them had escaped and was "chatting" with my mature hens as happy as a hen can be. I picked her up and returned her to the hospital unit ...... all birds have been treated for mites and lice last night (old and new birds). The older birds are used to being handled and cuddle in which makes treating the easy. The babies are still flighty but I managed to get them settled and treated without causing them too much upset. They are all out of their houses and happy this morning - mature birds and babies have the run of the garden and the rescues are in a large confined run at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Wow! I’ve just been catching up with this thread. Fabulous crafting!
I still haven’t progressed much past the ‘Granny Square’ stage of crochet.
I decided that making face coverings would be a good way of stash busting, and of spending time whilst I’m unable to travel,
A93137C1-495A-43DD-B8DA-3DC140107D77.jpeg

so made lots for family and friends. They proved popular, and I enjoy making them, so, I thought I’d have a go at selling them. I didn’t actually believe anyone would want to buy them. It’s been great to discover that they do. . .and the fabric stash is now growing again. . .😀.

lorraine x

ps for anyone else thinking about doing this. . .some people (me, due to hearing aids) are unable to wear face coverings which require them to put the elastic behind their ears. Offering to replace that with elastic which goes around the head instead, is helpful. X

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've been trying to finish my book (editing and checking and proof reading has taken far longer than expected) and I have submitted the .pdf to the printer today. I think if I do any more I will add to the errors rather than negate them so will just check a couple of pages (or maybe 5, or 10) before I hit the publish button and set the printing press in motion.

BUT I have got the bed covering squares all fastened together and have started to do the final finishing rounds. I thought I might have to line the covers but I'm not sure. Photos at some point.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I've been making this for the past few weeks, since shortly after #4 daughter announced she was expecting twins
20200826_132909.jpg

I'm not sure how to finish it - do half triangles to fill in the gaps and make it square or DC a few rows round the outside in white, making it wavy 🤔
Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
whingyraindrop Lovely to see you back again. I think I should send you the instructions for my easy crochet blanket. It is SO easy and grows quickly. It would make a change from granny squares.

Great idea about the long elastic on the face masks. Derek and I keep pulling our hearing aids off and in fact he lost part of one and had to have it replaced.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Great idea about the long elastic on the face masks. Derek and I keep pulling our hearing aids off and in fact he lost part of one and had to have it replaced.

My "beak" mask only needs one long elastic to hold it tight. The bottom part fits right under the chin where the head and neck meet if that makes sense.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
I've been trying to finish my book (editing and checking and proof reading has taken far longer than expected) and I have submitted the .pdf to the printer today. I think if I do any more I will add to the errors rather than negate them so will just check a couple of pages (or maybe 5, or 10) before I hit the publish button and set the printing press in motion.

BUT I have got the bed covering squares all fastened together and have started to do the final finishing rounds. I thought I might have to line the covers but I'm not sure. Photos at some point.

I must have missed this. What is the book about? Is it your first? Where can we get it? #noseyisme

whingyraindrop Lovely to see you back again. I think I should send you the instructions for my easy crochet blanket. It is SO easy and grows quickly. It would make a change from granny squares.

That would be great Pam, thank you. Can you put a link on here? I was wanting to ask you about those gorgeous fabric hearts you made. Do you have a pattern for those?

I have been washing and lining the latest fabrics for the face coverings today.
90EA8F22-37C6-4FC4-B036-8E3608F0C0FD.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I must have missed this. What is the book about? Is it your first? Where can we get it? #noseyisme

It's dead boring - family history, you know the type of thing, David begat Jeremiah, Jeremiah begat Susan. Susan changed her name to Simon and ended up in a mental health facility .......... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am having 50 copies printed and will give them to family members and also to the research facilities who have helped me.

A couple of people have gone above and beyond taking photos and allowing me to use them. I have also been asked to write short pieces for a Parish Magazine (published in this month;s edition) and for a community newsletter. I might be able to contact living relatives that way :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A new game for us for boring journeys add to the family history ......

Susan's twin sister Chastity - Chastity had 7 children with 12 different fathers. lol.

When I was at my parents yesterday Mum came home by ambulance - very cold, tired and unwell so I made her a hot drink and got her into a comfortable chair and she wrapped herself in Dad's blanket (the one I made for him). He was not happy and kept telling her it was his blanket. He has no idea just how ill she is of course.

I have a pattern I bought last year from The Quaker Tapestry museum with a pattern for the Barrett Counterpane so I think I will start on that, just making squares and see how I get on.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Yes please Helen. I am working on a Super Chunky scarf that is almost 6ft long and heavy. I hate the yarn - I started making a cable jumper then a waistcoat (I got quite a way with each of them and then pulled it out :Eeek: I've bought three patterns to try to use and in the end settled on this 'scarf'. More like a blanket - probably end up on Teddy's bed. It will be so nice to get back to baby clothes.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Yes please Helen. I am working on a Super Chunky scarf that is almost 6ft long and heavy. I hate the yarn - I started making a cable jumper then a waistcoat (I got quite a way with each of them and then pulled it out :Eeek: I've bought three patterns to try to use and in the end settled on this 'scarf'. More like a blanket - probably end up on Teddy's bed. It will be so nice to get back to baby clothes.
I'll get James to scan it for me, maybe at the weekend though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
So all the knitted blocks for Mum's blanket are complete plus a partial block which I may use as part of a cushion cover. I need to pin and square up the final three squares and the part square before I join them. The pattern was bought at The Quaker Tapestry in Kendal a year ago. The pattern isn't on the website but cost £2 and they may have copies if you were to phone and ask. It's a pattern based on the knitted squares in the Bartlett (?????) bed cover in the museum. I have just done knitted squares and not the fabric panels. Photos to follow when I find my camera.

https://www.quaker-tapestry.co.uk/shop/

Yarn due today from The Knitting Network's sale - the Life's Changes range as I am hoping it will go with a couple of balls of yarn I already have and want to use as a yoke. If not I have bought enough to make sweaters without the contrast.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
HELP ladies..... My little grandaughter has asked for a baby unicorn and I have crocheted picture 1.

Then she mentioned, (over phone), that it has little wings?!!!!!!!! HELP. I said baby unicorns don't have wings but she assured me they do! So I was in a quandry.

I found tis (second picture) on Pinterest and I was going to do just the wings and sew them on first picture.. Despite being member of Pinterest I cannot get the bloomin' pattern for the wings.

Can anybody help please. ...

IMG_20201014_180810.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back