Learn to crochet? (6 Viewers)

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Using up odds and ends as I am having quite a collection of started balls.
DSC01204.JPG

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Using up odds and ends as I am having quite a collection of started balls.
View attachment 376661
So beautiful! I am going to get my threads out today. I am so bored with woolly things! ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My Grandfather's Aunt used to crochet with sewing cotton. We have a few of the things she made, so fine and delicate. She never married but made quite a few bridal veils - wish we had some of them.

She was a nurse in a secure hospital - probably from about 1910 to the late 1930s and worked night shift - long boring hours when she'd done her round. She said crochet and tatting were ideal to fill the hours and could be slipped into a pocket when Matron came round. When she became Matron she encouraged her night staff to do something to keep them awake but suggested she never caught them in the act :)

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Oh Sophie, I am amazed at the beautiful work.

If I practised from now non-stop for. ******* years till I'm a hundred, I could never be good enough to do that.
And I would never be patient enough to wait for the item to become ‘holdable’ or even get visibly bigger ?
I have a teacosy which was part of a set my mother was given as a wedding present - all hand crocheted by her neighbour. I have lost the tablecloth and napkins - where do these things go?

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hello all,

You’ve been busy while I’ve had a little while off the forum :)

My very small contribution to the NHS were pairs of hearts for Brighton Hospital, it appears some are desperate for them and others are not using them at all - strange. It was an appeal from a local nurse and she delivers them personally. It’s a lovely idea in these tough times.

I also made a rainbow of hope (had to improvise with the colours) to hang in our front window.
708A34B7-2D0D-4319-A26D-05512A7ED3E5.jpeg
0BD0416C-7286-4BBE-8EE6-C545CAEB1799.jpeg

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
@ Janine , am I going to start a kitsch trend? :giggle:
movan the stitches are exactly the same as for the rainbows and blankets, you don't need to practice them because you know them already. The difference is that the thread is much finer. Just stop putting yourself down all the time! My hands lock if I use anything bigger/heavier.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I do find crocheting flowers very therapeutic ?
I found a twiggy wreath in the attic with the Christmas decs yesterday and made it into a spring garland.
View attachment 377370
That’s so pretty
i have just got a kindle book about crocheting flowers - hmmm
I am copying your idea. Inspired to do something with flowers (if I can find pretty coloured wool)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Afternoon all have now started my next project, an aran jacket for me.
But
the pattern which should be easy is written in the most complicated way, and I think possibly has a mistake in it. have given it several goes, to 'set' the pattern and have now taken it back to the a few rows down the rib and will, after writing it all out, have another go. it would be easy if it was a jumper and i could see the full thing on the picture.
Got so frustrated with it last night and a certain someone laughing did not help. If it doesn't work will use the yarn to knit my son an aran, he is very slim and finds it difficult to get stuff to fit, if the arms and sleves are long enough you could fit 2 of him inside. have not yet worked out the logistics of doing one to fit when i can't measure him though, he will have a measure though from his DIY. Watch this space.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
scotzsue , I had this book for years (sorry have no idea how to link it properly), it was my bible and gave me the confidence to knit everything in the round AND how to adjust shapes and make things to the right size, basically how to create your own jumpers.
Don't give in, you can knit a jacket for yourself, it is important that it is for you.
Darn, you'll have to come down this way and we'll work it out together.

Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters

Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts and Deborah Robson

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
scotzsue , I had this book for years (sorry have no idea how to link it properly), it was my bible and gave me the confidence to knit everything in the round AND how to adjust shapes and make things to the right size, basically how to create your own jumpers.
Don't give in, you can knit a jacket for yourself, it is important that it is for you.
Darn, you'll have to come down this way and we'll work it out together.

Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters

Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts and Deborah Robson
Today I spent some time chilling then set too and have now got ot sorted, pattern missed out one cable, bt by looking and working out the first bit have got the pattern set.
I am not keen on knitting in the round although i have done several icelandic sweaters and other stuff with a yoke knitted in the round. my style ? of knitting doesn't fit in too well with short bits of needle to work with :ROFLMAO: now to motivate myself and get it done.
John is on theminternet with his brothers 1 in Leeds and the other in Oregon, think he is trying to communicate without use of a microphone, hope they don't start talking about anything conroversial you must be able to hear it out in the street and the neighbours certainly will.
Many years ago i would make my own patterns up but got out of the habit, think i might be to old to start again :rofl::rofl:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I use a circular needle these days and find it so much easier. It did take a while to get used to and it is important to get good quality - I like knit-pro :)

My Mum says the knitting gets too heavy on a circular needle but I rest the work on my lap - and if it it heavy before that I put a cushion on my lap. I've tried a few different ways to knit as well (thank you you tube) and it is fun to experiment.

I like books of techniques rather than patterns and this one has made a real difference

1586859974482.png

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I have always used double pointed needles, 5 of them, much easier than just using 4. I do knit the German way with the thread looped around my left index finger. I'm very impatient and this is a much faster way to knit. And knitting in the round because I hate the sewing up bit at the end, plain lazy, that's me :giggle:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have always used double pointed needles, 5 of them, much easier than just using 4. I do knit the German way with the thread looped around my left index finger. I'm very impatient and this is a much faster way to knit. And knitting in the round because I hate the sewing up bit at the end, plain lazy, that's me :giggle:

Crumbs.. Five needles. I can only just manage 2. :oops:. Wow.

I seem to be in the land of rainbows at the moment. Another one completed for a lovely funster called Reflections based on memory.

I think it represents the reflection of the rainbow from the land on the water.

IMG_20200414_124847.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Yes, 5 much easier than 3 and you only use two at a time!!!!! I also started to knit in circles because I hate sewing up. I usually (but not always) work from the neck down and do a provisional two way cast on for the under arms - that way there are only yarn ends to darn in and no under arm sleeve either. Not only does that mean no sewing up but also nothing to rub on tender skin.

Have you ever used a steek? I always think it is fun to see people's faces when I take a pair of scissors to my knitting lol. I used to have a part completed garment syndrome where one side of a jacket or one sleeve would be completed but not the other but now I know how to do two at a time on one needle it's no longer an issue.

Spending too much time on this forum is though. lol

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
movan , you still only use 2 to knit with, the other 3 just hold the stitches, no different from one of those looped needles.
Puddleduck , never dared the steek to be honest. I'd knit from the waist up with a 3-needle bind off on the shoulders. I'd then pick up the stitches on the arm hole and knit down to the wrist, if possible with the pattern. This really makes me long to knit another jumper, but must be sensible.

Here's another left over little thing. And before movan says something: no difficult crochet stitches there, it's fiddly because the cotton is fine, but you could make this in wool without any problems!
DSC01252.JPG

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Puddleduck , never dared the steek to be honest.

I made a sample first :) - not brave enough to try on a full size garment to start with !! Just make sure you have plenty of stitches to turn back for the gusset - and I would always do a line of safety stitch, there are several methods of how to do that. Once the garment has been washed a couple of times the cut ends felt together and it all becomes much more secure.

It is great fun to see the looks on faces when you do take scissors to the knitting though :) If the Knit and Stitch goes ahead in Harrogate this year and if I am a volunteer on the Hand Knitting Association stand again I might do a mini-class on steek.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back