Learn to crochet? (3 Viewers)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Calling all sewers
I'm thinking about getting an overlocker and could do with some advice, please and thanking you very much.
I probably need something around mid range price wise, which seems to be about £300, but there are so many available I've managed to confuse myself.
Any recommendations of one to look at or which to avoid???

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Calling all sewers
I'm thinking about getting an overlocker and could do with some advice, please and thanking you very much.
I probably need something around mid range price wise, which seems to be about £300, but there are so many available I've managed to confuse myself.
Any recommendations of one to look at or which to avoid???

The one I bought is still in the unopened box .........

I keep promising I am going to use it but just have never had the time.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They're all much of a muchness. If it's your first overlocker I wouldn't spend too much in case you don't get on with it! I don't use mine anywhere near as much as I thought I would. Had it about 2 years and probably used it 4 times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
This weeks Aldi special buys.
8EF351FD-371D-44DA-A5D2-BCBFCF3050CD.png

33AE54B0-9E28-4CAF-86D3-92896F5FA057.png

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've been asked to pass this on, unfortunately I can't take part but perhaps others would both want to and be able to.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have been asked today, by john's DIL, if I will knit some hats as their neonatal unit is getting desparate.
really want to get on with my jacket, but, will be doing hats, alternating with knitting my aran jacket, her mum knits too have said I can supply wool if her mum needs any.
dread to think what they will look like but got a pattern of the internet, have loads of baby patterns too, but just wanted something quick and easy.
off to hunt for my spare wool now know where some dark coloursare but think lighter or pastels will bw more appropriate.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Have been asked today, by john's DIL, if I will knit some hats as their neonatal unit is getting desparate.
really want to get on with my jacket, but, will be doing hats, alternating with knitting my aran jacket, her mum knits too have said I can supply wool if her mum needs any.
dread to think what they will look like but got a pattern of the internet, have loads of baby patterns too, but just wanted something quick and easy.
off to hunt for my spare wool now know where some dark coloursare but think lighter or pastels will bw more appropriate.

I can make baby hats if you let me know where to send them :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Puddleduck what a lovely offer it's for the maternity/neonatal unit at Hull Royal, I will be taking the ones I make to Helen's and she will give them to the team who will wash them before use. they want them in a plastic bag, makes sense. will find out if they can be sent by post, if not I can get them there.
DIL is part of the occupational Health nursing team, she has worked in ICU so could be asked to go back but at the moment she is inundated trying to keep the front line staff healthy, both physically and mentally.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
I can make a few hats as a break from crochet!

If they need jackets or blankets to go home with the baby I can do those as well but would like to finish my counterpanes first.

Don't think they need jackets or blankets, but will ask, have knitted 3 hats so far and on my way with the 4th have decided to knit a hat, do a bit of my jacket, knit a hat etc thank you again

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Don't think they need jackets or blankets, but will ask, have knitted 3 hats so far and on my way with the 4th have decided to knit a hat, do a bit of my jacket, knit a hat etc thank you again
I have some 2ply white acryllic baby soft so would use that.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
I have some 2ply white acryllic baby soft so would use that.
Wow 2ply i only ever used that for shawls, they have asked for newborn size, I am using DK as it was either that or aran, its not all baby wool but it is soft, got a mad assortment of colours though, but know from experience that that is the last thing that matters, so long as they are not black, just having one when needed is a big help.
When I worked nights on paeds we used to knit and crochet baby blankets hats and mitts in our , infrequent, quiet times. Management were not amused till they priced up buying them in.
might post a photo later.
1st 4
1587493178192.png

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm using it double as it would take too long to make enough otherwise. I cast on with a super stretch method but it doesn't look neat until it is stretched :)

Making these little hats is a good way to try out patterns and ideas - the hat i started last night will be preemie / newborn size I think - hopefully can be used. :cry:

I know I have odds and ends of DK baby yarn so will use those up.

I know some of the Linus quilts are put over incubators at night to cut out the light and help the babies sleep. The quilt then goes home with baby (or now and again is buried with baby :( )

Thank you for suggesting this - it is a lifeline at the moment! Something useful and productive.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
scotzsue can you give an idea about finished dimensions?

the pattern I have says 34 - 36 cm circumference and 13 cm high. Does that sound about right?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Puddleduck this is I think the pattern I use size 8 uk needles and 48 stitches. the ones i have done are all slightly different sizes due to the yarn used and I did do one a bit bigger, my younger son had a huge head.
He is still a bit big headed;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Me too.

It's already clear who is coping best with the stress of sewing to a deadline although I hope other contestants will be able to settle and relax into the challenges.

My daughter wanted me to apply but I said "not on your Nellie". lol. I would hate to be in that position.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My garden needs some colour now that the daffs are going over so I have started yarn bombing it :)
View attachment 381619

That's lovely Janine.

Right up to lockdown, I still crocheted poppies and tied them to the railings near the memorial statues. I started doing this over 18months ago.. and they are STILL there looking colourful. :).

Before anyone says, I KNOW it could be seen as a sort of grafiti, but at some places other people have added flowers of their own to brighten the place up. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
That's lovely Janine.

Right up to lockdown, I still crocheted poppies and tied them to the railings near the memorial statues. I started doing this over 18months ago.. and they are STILL there looking colourful. :).

Before anyone says, I KNOW it could be seen as a sort of grafiti, but at some places other people have added flowers of their own to brighten the place up. :)

But crochet flowers are quick and easy to remove and I know you are careful not to cause any damage.

We don't have street lights here so nothing I can bomb :)

2 baby hats complete and another started :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Great British Sewing Bee @ 9pm bbc1 girls :giggle:

Has anyone ever been tempted to buy a couple of things from a charity shop in order to transform them?

I used to make clothes for my children from sale items that I used as a fabric source, mens shirts have enough fabric to make a little girl a nightdress.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Has anyone ever been tempted to buy a couple of things from a charity shop in order to transform them?

I used to make clothes for my children from sale items that I used as a fabric source, mens shirts have enough fabric to make a little girl a nightdress.
Yes! I bought a lovely printed denim skirt from a charity shop and turned it into a bag for my ukulele ?

00764A07-1A63-44CE-9F3B-FD6F9BEBB282.jpeg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Yes. I bought a lady's blouze and made it into a painting apron for little grandaughter.

This idea of upcycling from charity shops, really excites me but
I've never done sewing with a machine, or on adult scale. Will be whole new learning curve for me.

Carol made some BEAUTIFUL shopping bags.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back