Leak under bathroom sink (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
Well I was smug all ready to head off tomorrow and as I’m off to a CL site thought I’ll fill up with water as it’s only 5 miles away........
Have drained system over winter and all taps left open. Fill up the fresh water tank and closed off the dump switch switch in the pump then I could hear hissing/sraaying from under the bathroom sink!! Water water everywhere. Turn it off press joints together hard tried again. Not as bad but running. Water also now behind drivers seat from under bathroom wall and when I hear dripping out side it is dripping from both bits behind the cab doors!!!
I thought maybe get at it from the top but even after unscrewing I cannot get the tap off. So for now I’ve opened the dump switch and so no water visible. I think it’s coming from the very top joint the one that attaches to the tap but it’s an odd connection.
Any thoughts tips or suggestions would be really brilliant (I will go anyway with my aqua roll abs folding 20 water container!) where there is a will there is a way!!!!
It’s a Swift Sundance 04

Attachments

• 92617D5C-A43C-4DEE-ADCB-375BB334769A.jpeg
    92617D5C-A43C-4DEE-ADCB-375BB334769A.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 340
  • BF18B549-6B4B-4140-8621-DFEBCFD07023.jpeg
    BF18B549-6B4B-4140-8621-DFEBCFD07023.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 338
  • E0019B63-1DE4-4658-90D5-0C97A06D0B49.jpeg
    E0019B63-1DE4-4658-90D5-0C97A06D0B49.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It will be leaking either from the tap body itself, pipework or from the fittings. How about filling it all up again, positioning your phone to somehow allow it to video the tap area in question, and then briefly turn pump on and off so at least you might spot the leak more precisely? If you can spot the leak, you'll know which bit needs fixing.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
In the middle picture the joint looks to be under a bit of strain in that what comes out of the elbow at the lower end ought to be more horizontal, maybe. I had this problem with a joint under my shower in the house, which gave in after about 5years. If you can remove the black 90 degree bend (use the round bit in the grip on a pair of pliers to surround the pipe and press the collars towards the joint) and examine the red pipe, assuming it's not split you may find that fitting a new joint will resolve it. That being the case, see if you can support the rest of the pipe so it's not under as much strain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Biker chic
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
It looks like almost a ball end. Really hard to get at but also worried about pushing too hard? But as water didn’t travel up it’s coming from the L shaped elbow at the top joint I think

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
quick look in pic one seems to show that the tap top is over on to the hot side if it was the cold side did not drain out and possibly froze and pushed the joint apart but it looks like the red elbow is broken at the tap

OP
OP
Biker chic
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
Thanks I have moved tap (lots) not how it was when I winterised.... I hate water leaks

OP
OP
Biker chic
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
Yes I see what you mean. Thank you! Does it look like it should push back together or do you think a new joint? If new joint how tricky to do? Really hard I know from pics

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Hard to say it may push back in but I think it will always be suspect I am not sure if the joint is actually part of the tap

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yeah I'd be trying to get your arm up in to the space which you have photographed. Ask someone to keep pressure on the tap while you push the red insert back in to place from below.

OP
OP
Biker chic
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
Yeah I'd be trying to get your arm up in to the space which you have photographed. Ask someone to keep pressure on the tap while you push the red insert back in to place from below.
You are amazing!!!! Talked sweetly to my daughter to keep the tap straight and pressure on I did my best contortionist act and a satisfying click!!! And tadah!!!!
Thank you so much to everyone I can stop 🤬now. Good luck on your travels and enjoy every sunset

Attachments

• IMG_2505.MOV
    6 MB
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Thank you!! All fixed
There's a little green retaining pin on the base of the tap. You pull it out to remove the red and blue elbows. Just make sure it's pushed fully home to ensure the elbow doesn't pop out again.

OP
OP
Biker chic
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
There's a little green retaining pin on the base of the tap. You pull it out to remove the red and blue elbows. Just make sure it's pushed fully home to ensure the elbow doesn't pop out again.
Fantastic thank you

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well spotted and sorted!.
If it was mine I would want to rearrange the fittings, looks to me like the Tee piece is too near the end of the pipe so the plastic spigot is not entering the tap at the right angle. The tap is held in with that big black plastic nut but you might not need to go that far if you can get to the release screw which i think is in that slot?
Put it on the list to Strip it out and rearrange, when you get back
Mike

May 14, 2020
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis autoquest 100
Exp
Im a newbie
Just had the same problem. The tap is probably a Reich Pelikan (u tube got a good strip down demo) . The water inlets have o rings on them and push in to the tap body held in by the green locating pin. You have to push well in. I broke the pun on first attempt and made one to fit. Replaced tap and fitted new o rings and worked ok when tested. You can replace almost everything on these taps . Nesw tap ls about £75 with microswitch👍

Lemut

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 18, 2020
Redditch, UK
Funster No
MH
Class C
In the middle picture the joint looks to be under a bit of strain in that what comes out of the elbow at the lower end ought to be more horizontal, maybe. I had this problem with a joint under my shower in the house, which gave in after about 5years. If you can remove the black 90 degree bend (use the round bit in the grip on a pair of pliers to surround the pipe and press the collars towards the joint) and examine the red pipe, assuming it's not split you may find that fitting a new joint will resolve it. That being the case, see if you can support the rest of the pipe so it's not under as much strain.
Totally agree with the joint being strained and the above spot on solution.

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
Well I was smug all ready to head off tomorrow and as I’m off to a CL site thought I’ll fill up with water as it’s only 5 miles away........
Have drained system over winter and all taps left open. Fill up the fresh water tank and closed off the dump switch switch in the pump then I could hear hissing/sraaying from under the bathroom sink!! Water water everywhere. Turn it off press joints together hard tried again. Not as bad but running. Water also now behind drivers seat from under bathroom wall and when I hear dripping out side it is dripping from both bits behind the cab doors!!!
I thought maybe get at it from the top but even after unscrewing I cannot get the tap off. So for now I’ve opened the dump switch and so no water visible. I think it’s coming from the very top joint the one that attaches to the tap but it’s an odd connection.
Any thoughts tips or suggestions would be really brilliant (I will go anyway with my aqua roll abs folding 20 water container!) where there is a will there is a way!!!!
It’s a Swift Sundance 04
In the middle photo why is there an elboy when you can go straight. The red pipe is being restricted due to the curve of the elbow. All you need is a socket and not aan elbow. Hopefully my deductions are well, as photos can play up sometimes.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I have received this communication to-day from a German Motorhome magazine. I have translated it as I thought us Funsters might find it very interesting
The EU driving license directive is currently being revised. The weight limit for the car driver's license could increase from 3.5 to 4.25 tons - also for campers. Motorhome owners can present their arguments to the EU online.

As part of the revision of the EU driving license directive that is currently being carried out, the 3.5 tonne limit for the Class B driving license could fall. Even those who only got their car driver's license after 1999 could then drive motorhomes with a gross vehicle weight of up to 4.25 tons. At least that is what the caravanning industry is hoping for. The Reisemobil Union (RU) and the Euro Motorhome Club (EMHC) have recently campaigned for this. However, according to current plans, the EU will only allow the increase to 4.25 tonnes if the additional weight is caused by alternative drives - such as heavy batteries in electric vehicles.

A participation round is currently underway in which all EU citizens can express their opinion online. It is still possible to register and leave a comment until May 21st. RU and EMHC advise: The more motorhome owners participate, the greater the chances that their positions will be taken into account. After all, why should electric vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of up to 4.25 tons be moved with a B driving license, but motorhomes of the same weight not?

EMHC Vice President Michaela Kirchhoff: "We hope that the extension of car driving licenses to 4.25 tons, which we have been demanding for ten years, will finally and soon become a reality."

Reisemobil International will closely monitor the further development and report again.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have received this communication to-day from a German Motorhome magazine. I have translated it as I thought us Funsters might find it very interesting
The EU driving license directive is currently being revised. The weight limit for the car driver's license could increase from 3.5 to 4.25 tons - also for campers. Motorhome owners can present their arguments to the EU online.

As part of the revision of the EU driving license directive that is currently being carried out, the 3.5 tonne limit for the Class B driving license could fall. Even those who only got their car driver's license after 1999 could then drive motorhomes with a gross vehicle weight of up to 4.25 tons. At least that is what the caravanning industry is hoping for. The Reisemobil Union (RU) and the Euro Motorhome Club (EMHC) have recently campaigned for this. However, according to current plans, the EU will only allow the increase to 4.25 tonnes if the additional weight is caused by alternative drives - such as heavy batteries in electric vehicles.

A participation round is currently underway in which all EU citizens can express their opinion online. It is still possible to register and leave a comment until May 21st. RU and EMHC advise: The more motorhome owners participate, the greater the chances that their positions will be taken into account. After all, why should electric vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of up to 4.25 tons be moved with a B driving license, but motorhomes of the same weight not?

EMHC Vice President Michaela Kirchhoff: "We hope that the extension of car driving licenses to 4.25 tons, which we have been demanding for ten years, will finally and soon become a reality."

Reisemobil International will closely monitor the further development and report again.
I think you need to put this in a new thread, not one about leaking taps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back