Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
My van , especially the roof, needs cleaning. I am looking for a set of telescopic ladders as I think they would be safer to use than step ladders. Any suggestions what to look for and where to buy them?

Thanks

Ronidog

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I just bought some at the Stratford meet. . . For the same reason. :) soft padded ones.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks but what make and who sells them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks but what make and who sells them?

You get them at the shows but Screwfix also sell them. At the shows you get offers especially on the last day.. mine were reduced to around £40 from £99. If you start a thread WANTED ..Ladders .. you MIGHT get lucky if a funster is selling some...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What I can tell you about these telescopic ladders and please bear in mind I have 45 years experience in the building trade using ladders EVERY day is that the cheap telescopic ones are nothing short of Tom Tit.

Buy only a premium brand EN (trade rated) ladder. Trust me you health and well being will depend on it.

Roof cleaning I'd dangerous at best and best left to the professionals. If you must do it yourself buy/borrow/hire a good tower scaffold and reach in from that.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You get them at the shows but Screwfix also sell them. At the shows you get offers especially on the last day.. mine were reduced to around £40 from £99. If you start a thread WANTED ..Ladders .. you MIGHT get lucky if a funster is selling some...

Please please please take care on a forty quid set of telescopic ladders . Decent ones cannot be made for 40 nicker honest !!!!

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Please please please take care on a forty quid set of telescopic ladders . Decent ones cannot be made for 40 nicker honest !!!!

Thanks
But that begs the question. What should I look out for and who do I trust to sell me a good pair?

My van is a panel van so only 8ft high or so. and the ladders seem a lot safer than steps. I think that a tower scaffold might be a bit over the top.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks
But that begs the question. What should I look out for and who do I trust to sell me a good pair?

My van is a panel van so only 8ft high or so. and the ladders seem a lot safer than steps. I think that a tower scaffold might be a bit over the top.

When I bought our PVC a 2013 Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer there were two similar vans both with two dents 14 inches or so apart at the uppermost rear panel where the reversing cameras go. Both vans damaged by ladders or the use of ladders by people with no experience.

Why do folk assume they need no experience or training to use ladders ? Maybe the answer is at A&E ?

I know a very experienced now old chap who has brain damage from falling of a pair of steps. A chap who had 40 years in the roofing trade.

A good telescopic ladder will be EN marked. No EN walk.

Small tower over the top (excuse the pun) ? You tell me ...... As the old adage goes..... if you have a ten bob head wear a ten bob helmet ...Mmmmm

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Ladders can so easily cause damage to you and your van. Use a platform, this is the one I use

OK not cheap but you get what you pay for, in this case a quality item

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
When I bought our PVC a 2013 Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer there were two similar vans both with two dents 14 inches or so apart at the uppermost rear panel where the reversing cameras go. Both vans damaged by ladders or the use of ladders by people with no experience.

Why do folk assume they need no experience or training to use ladders ? Maybe the answer is at A&E ?

I know a very experienced now old chap who has brain damage from falling of a pair of steps. A chap who had 40 years in the roofing trade.

A good telescopic ladder will be EN marked. No EN walk.

Small tower over the top (excuse the pun) ? You tell me ...... As the old adage goes..... if you have a ten bob head wear a ten bob helmet ...Mmmmm

Whoa I think that this is going a bit far... I only asked for some advice from those with experience. There are nicer ways of supporting people...

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
I've just looked at full thread, the article said some collapsible ladders were damaged and causing users to fall and hurt themselves.

sid1234

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
£79.98 all in. Amazon product ASIN B01LXDKZ2U
upload_2017-7-13_23-25-11.png

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you get a good set of telescopic ladders, make sure you put some thick foam around the tops of the legs to stop the ladders damaging the bodywork. It helps stop them slipping too.
I've used ladders myself with sponge pads, but I now have a set of a Little Giant 6 rung (Revolution XE) ladders. I used them to clean and polish the roof of my van, 3 metres up. Expensive but great quality and you can use them around the house too.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have the top rung and sides covered with external pipe insulation which is quite thick and soft on my
Telescopic ladders.

John.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought a short telescopic ladder from Maplin, which has proved to be solid, reliable in use and easy to store. I believe they do a longer one too. My wife made up a soft cover that fits the top step snuggly, we leave it on permanently, even when collapsed and stored in it's carry case.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I use a three metre high set of stand steps. Much more secure than a ladder leaning against a polished, painted surface. Very large base area and a step to put the bucket on. As has been said be careful not to lean too far when using a ladder of any sort.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
By stand steps do you mean step ladders? I find step ladders wobbly and as you are sideways on to the van it is difficult to apply presseure to stubborn spots.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yeah step ladders. Mine have a very wide base as they are really for industrial use. I have them on semi permanent loan from my brother who is a sparky.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you use ladders, remember to secure the bottom. I used to use mine on the back of the van and attach a rope from the 3rd or so rung up to the tow point.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have you considered a 3way combination ladder? Not as compact but may offer a greater range of applications.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've got a 3-way combination ladder, great bit of kit but unfortunately the platform isn't high enough to reach more than the first 12 inches! Not stable enough to use in step-ladder mode.

Well padded ordinary ladders are the best to get me onto the roof, taking care. I also bought a set of the (maligned) lighter collapsable ladders at one of the shows which are stowed away under the bed for use in emergencies whilst away (and yes I have had a couple of occasions when I needed them) - I agree they're not suitable for continuos use though.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Ladders can so easily cause damage to you and your van. Use a platform, this is the one I use

OK not cheap but you get what you pay for, in this case a quality item
wat size would you recommend given the comment above about not reaching very high?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
wat size would you recommend given the comment above about not reaching very high?
The Three way ladder in my post suits me and I have used in on some large vans in steps configuration. I often use Ladder Mates as recommended by @Wombles , these can stabilise the ladder in any of its configurations. When using it in ladder mode I use scaffold foam to protect the van, being tougher than pipe insulation it won't disintegrate

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sorry fellas got to disagree with most of the posts that have gone before.
I use a normal 9 rung extension ladder when I clean the roof.
The end of the ladder is covered with a folded 6metre x 3metre canvas painters dust sheet, roughly 70mm thick when folded.
With the Motor home on LEVEL ground, the protected & padded ladder is placed against the M/H. A bucket of soapy water is placed on the roof of the same, and with a soft Kitchen sweeping brush the roof is washed then rinsed using a hose pipe. If you plan it right you only need to move the ladder twice, AFTER the initial placing. Each time the M/H is protected by the folded canvas sheet.
I have done it quite a few times now with no damage to the sides or back of the M/H.

There is always an easier and simpler way, it's just common sense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back