Since 2015
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Stunning pictures, quite fancy doing a motorhome trip in Southern Africa in the near future.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Fantastic photos.
Lived near a river one time, loved watching the Weaver birds at their nests, clever little birds.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi,

Loving some of the photos posted in other threads, I thought I'd share a few of mine from my trip to South Africa just after Christmas: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pommyboi/albums/72177720306127374
Looks good it's on our to do list but we put it off because of the political situation out there. Sadly it looks like it's going to be either go anyway or don't. Did it feel safe out there and did you put together a trip yourself or go on an organised tour?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Jul 24, 2022
St Albans, UK
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Motorhome noobs: Looking for a motorhome/campervan
Makes me feel very homesick. Spent many happy times in the KNP. My uncle was a game ranger there in the 1950s. Happy days! Lovely photos, thanks.
Thanks, we love it there. You might like this book about a guy who worked in the park for many years "A game ranger remembers"

OP
OP
J
Jul 24, 2022
St Albans, UK
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Excellent work, some wonderful images... How many lenses did you carry?
Hi, Thank you for your comment. I carried two lenses on two bodies (for redundancy). Once I went on safari, years ago and the camera stopped working when I arrived which was a bit annoying. Now I have 2 x Nikons, D750 and D500 with a 200-500 lens on the D500 and a zoom wide angle on the D750, although I do swap them over as well. Swaping lenses with all the dust around is best avoided. No problem getting them on smaller planes either as I have a decent bag to carry them in and a trolly that folds because it's v heavy.

OP
OP
J
Jul 24, 2022
St Albans, UK
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Stunning pictures, quite fancy doing a motorhome trip in Southern Africa in the near future.
We spoke to someone motorhoming in the Kruger park, they thought it was the best way to travel and we saw a few, not many, rental MH's driving about. We're tempted, it's just they are probably expensive and it's easy to stay inside the park at reasonable prices (plus hiring a car of course)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Jul 24, 2022
St Albans, UK
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Looks good it's on our to do list but we put it off because of the political situation out there. Sadly it looks like it's going to be either go anyway or don't. Did it feel safe out there and did you put together a trip yourself or go on an organised tour?
Hi, I've been several times to South Africa (and completed small group tours to other places). I wouldn't say you need to have a tour unless you like the company and paying a premium for the experience. Maybe for your first safari a nice place to stay is the way to go, followed by a few days self-driving? I don't think the political situation is an issue, just crime and extreme poverty, so you need to plan a little bit and be aware of your surroundings and where you are going.

We fly to Jo'burg, get a mobile phone sim for calls and data, spend 1 night in a lovely hotel, then on to an airport near the Kruger the next day. Pick up a hire car, then head into the park to their South Africa National Park campsites, so about £140 a night for 2 people (compare to a full-service safari experience of £200 a night each+ in private camps). We go shopping after getting the car and stock up on food and wine, although you can get supplies in the park along with petrol and they have cafes and restaurants. Each hut has a BBQ to use and in a few places, you can hire a gas burner out in the park to cook a nice breakfast mid morning. The South Africans take their bush breakfasts and evening BBQ very seriously.

We stayed 9 nights in 3 camps and then flew direct to Cape Town for 4 nights eating and drinking good food because of the amazing exchange rate.

In Cape Town, we just took Uber cars and were in a very nice Airbnb in an area called the Gardens, perfect position, felt safe and there was a small shop nearby, pub, restaurant and cafes.

Avis South Africa also does a car transfer service we used a couple of times from the airport.

Campsites in the park are here: Broken Link Removed

Hope that's useful.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi, I've been several times to South Africa (and completed small group tours to other places). I wouldn't say you need to have a tour unless you like the company and paying a premium for the experience. Maybe for your first safari a nice place to stay is the way to go, followed by a few days self-driving? I don't think the political situation is an issue, just crime and extreme poverty, so you need to plan a little bit and be aware of your surroundings and where you are going.

We fly to Jo'burg, get a mobile phone sim for calls and data, spend 1 night in a lovely hotel, then on to an airport near the Kruger the next day. Pick up a hire car, then head into the park to their South Africa National Park campsites, so about £140 a night for 2 people (compare to a full-service safari experience of £200 a night each+ in private camps). We go shopping after getting the car and stock up on food and wine, although you can get supplies in the park along with petrol and they have cafes and restaurants. Each hut has a BBQ to use and in a few places, you can hire a gas burner out in the park to cook a nice breakfast mid morning. The South Africans take their bush breakfasts and evening BBQ very seriously.

We stayed 9 nights in 3 camps and then flew direct to Cape Town for 4 nights eating and drinking good food because of the amazing exchange rate.

In Cape Town, we just took Uber cars and were in a very nice Airbnb in an area called the Gardens, perfect position, felt safe and there was a small shop nearby, pub, restaurant and cafes.

Avis South Africa also does a car transfer service we used a couple of times from the airport.

Campsites in the park are here: Broken Link Removed

Hope that's useful.
Thanks. We were looking at the parks near Port Elizabeth and a trip to the wine tram.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back