Kalahari (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Just back from our trip to the Kalahari and Southern Africa. As is usual with Africa nothing goes according to plan. We were supposed to rent an overland 4x4 vehicle (see pic) but on arrival were informed that it had been written off somewhere in Botswana and they didn't have another one available, but much against their policy we could take a 2wd motorhome up into the desert, all will be fine they said. Lovely to drive on tarred roads 8 gear automatic drive, smooth as you like. Took three days from Cape Town up to the what is now called the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park which borders Botswana, you need to book camping well ahead in the park, some of the small camps have no amenities at all and no fences. We knew a lot of the park and over into Botswana would not be available to us with a 2wd motorhome, it's not permitted or safe to risk getting stuck. Even in the relative safety of the park I did manage to bury the back wheels in mud, luckily someone with a Landcruiser and all the gear pulled us out, everybody stops to help, it happens all the time. Fortunately my wife failed to record the event on her phone, but the people who helped filmed most of the situation, I'm just hoping it doesn't turn up on youtube !
some of the roads are appalling, just like driving on corrugated concrete for hours on end, the motorhome probably suffered more than we did, things dropped off by the hour, side light fell off, we lost a plastic cover for the front headlights, indicator bulb failed, just small things really. the habitation area was fine and worked well despite the terrible beating it got.
We obviously couldn't do or go where we originally planed in just a motorhome, all be it built to African standards, but we had a great time and would recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of adventure.

DSC_0862.jpgDSC_0947.jpgDSC_0960.jpgDSC_1006.jpgDSCN2744.jpgDSCN2768.jpgIMG_3920.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
At first i thought you drove thereā€¦šŸ˜±

Hope you got some kind of recompense for not getting the overlanderā€¦.šŸ˜Ž

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Sounds fantastic, Africa is a great place. (y)

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Great adventure. I can remember reading a similar account of a trip in Namibia. Flat tyres seemed to be a daily eventā€¦looks like you had better luck?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Sounds fantastic, Africa is a great place. (y)
Besides Rio de janerio , South Africa is the most dangerous I have visited ,but do able with research into what to do and what not to do , most common sense . A very cheap place to visit outside the city centres

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Wow what an adventure. Some of the photos are amazing. Can I ask how safe it is motorhomewave - and I am not talking wildlife. I went to RSA in 2018 with my job for two weeks and saw some beautiful sights but also had a couple of near death experiences. Based in Johannesburg but drove to Polokwane and on to Mozambique. Even though I was shot at, I loved the country and would like to return on vacation.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
We wouldn't go near Johannesburg and parts of Eastern SA, even the north end of the Kruger park has problems and big towns are asking for trouble. Stay in the Cape or northern Cape and with luck all will be well. We encountered no trouble or aggression, but we are used to traveling in Africa, you just have to be aware of where you stop and conditions around you. We stayed on farms mostly and they could not be more hospitable.
If you want to see animals I would suggest Etosha in Namibia, it has almost everything, it is safe and you can drive a motorhome there, pick up from Windhoek and it's an easy two days drive. Its not crowded with tourists and it's fantastic, we are planing next year.DSC_0444.jpgDSC_0663.jpgDSCN2277_edited-1.jpgRhino_edited-1.jpg

Sep 6, 2012
Stone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We wouldn't go near Johannesburg and parts of Eastern SA, even the north end of the Kruger park has problems and big towns are asking for trouble. Stay in the Cape or northern Cape and with luck all will be well. We encountered no trouble or aggression, but we are used to traveling in Africa, you just have to be aware of where you stop and conditions around you. We stayed on farms mostly and they could not be more hospitable.
If you want to see animals I would suggest Etosha in Namibia, it has almost everything, it is safe and you can drive a motorhome there, pick up from Windhoek and it's an easy two days drive. Its not crowded with tourists and it's fantastic, we are planing next year.View attachment 693166View attachment 693167View attachment 693168View attachment 693169
We did three weeks in Namibia in September this year, terrific! No motorhome but a safari truck and camped. It was an organised trip in the main and a real back to nature experience.
Saw most the game in Etosha up close and personal.
Highly recommend the country.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back