Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Is there much disruption in France other than in city centres? Hopefully we are on our way towards Cognac in a weeks time and obviously would like to avoid any hot spots. Have any of your travels been disrupted?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Been reading this morning that it’s ramped up again this weekend. The worst of the trouble seems to only happen on the weekend, so plan your travel accordingly and I’m sure you’ll be fine. Enjoy your touring, and do keep us posted yy

Hel999

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
When we came through on the way to Spain there were a few at various roundabouts but they didn’t cause any disruption and just waved at us as we passed. They were just grouped round small fires keeping warm. We gave them a big smile and wave and carried on our way

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@Casper46 We live 30 minutes from Cognac, no real problems now except on the odd roundabout at the weekends. We pretty much move around unhindered, we see them on the roundabouts but the shacks they had and the tyres on the road have in the most now been removed by the Gendarmes with the threat of big fines if they are re-installed.

The major points are roundabouts entering or leaving the bigger towns/cities stay on the outskirts and you should be OK.

Safe travels

Phil

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
@Casper46 We live 30 minutes from Cognac, no real problems now except on the odd roundabout at the weekends. We pretty much move around unhindered, we see them on the roundabouts but the shacks they had and the tyres on the road have in the most now been removed by the Gendarmes with the threat of big fines if they are re-installed.

The major points are roundabouts entering or leaving the bigger towns/cities stay on the outskirts and you should be OK.

Safe travels

Phil

Thanks, we live (part time) 40 minutes North of Cognac, it sounds like life in rural France carries on as usual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we came through on the way to Spain there were a few at various roundabouts but they didn’t cause any disruption and just waved at us as we passed. They were just grouped round small fires keeping warm. We gave them a big smile and wave and carried on our way
We’re in Bordeaux area, heading to Spain - and have seen exactly the same.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
How's the new bus performing Cliff & Ger?
Loving it Ken. Although it’s a Class 3 - I argued the toss twice successfully but the third lady was adamant - “no Madame - he is a class 3 - merci et au revoire”, ironic thing was it was the only time we ignored @tonka ’s route to Beni - so we drove down an empty motorway (probably because the alternative was just as good and free) and were charged €60 for the privilege - ee was not appy..... - we have gone non toll from then on and it’s been fine.

The van is lovely. I slept the sleep of the dead in my island bed last night, after driving from Montrieul to Blaye. I think burger, chips and Blaye Bordeaux had something to do with it!

We are now driving in Spain, heading for Tudela, tonight’s stop.

The girls have invited me to afternoon tea on Thursday - how posh! Will post photos - can’t wait to get there now.

I’ve driven the van through Rouen, Bayonne, countless roadworks and narrow lanes and it’s been fine - phew! (y)

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
We left Calais Thursday morning and didn’t see any until leaving Rouen and a few near Bordeaux,plenty of evidence of where they’ve been though. I’ll back them if they keep putting the speed cameras out of action (y) The ones we have seen have all been friendly and waved. Now sat at Pamplona in the aires going to look for sunshine ☀️ tomorrow.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We left Calais Thursday morning and didn’t see any until leaving Rouen and a few near Bordeaux,plenty of evidence of where they’ve been though. I’ll back them if they keep putting the speed cameras out of action (y) The ones we have seen have all been friendly and waved. Now sat at Pamplona in the aires going to look for sunshine ☀️ tomorrow.
We’ve just passed Pamplona heading for Tudela! Hope we all find sun - the sunset here over the Bardenas Reales is gorgeous.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks for all your replies. I have changed our tunnel to Thursday morning so we should be in front of the wood burner by Friday night or Saturday lunchtime at the latest. We are going to stay at Canterbury P&R a week on Wednesday ready for an early start the following morning, we have not been there before.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for all your replies. I have changed our tunnel to Thursday morning so we should be in front of the wood burner by Friday night or Saturday lunchtime at the latest. We are going to stay at Canterbury P&R a week on Wednesday ready for an early start the following morning, we have not been there before.

There's a good chance you will see English gilets jaunes from Wednesday onwards. :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Thats 60 pints worth down in Beni you know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don’t I know it Steve - but my thinking is, as long as we are teetotal for the first 3 days we’ll have recouped our losses.... ;)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Were in a Cerveceria in Tudela watching Barcelona -v- I don’t know, waiting for our second burger and chips in two days - we’ve tried a French burger, now to compare with a Spanish one ... Messi has just scored so alls well here! It makes up for him missing MOTD yesterday....

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Casper46 - I have hijacked your thread, for which I apologise. Will move posts onto a dedicated ‘2 go to Beni’ thread now. I hope you end up with better snow chains than us ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back