Jersey or Guernsey or both? (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Looks like the channel Islands are ahead of us on covid stages & might be opening up shortly, so thinking of travelling to either Jersey or Guernsey. So have any funsters been and where is good? Also will be traveling with our dog ( anxious Yorkshire terrier ) is she allowed on the ferry with us?
Reliase you need a permit and have to book sites but which are good. Is it worth hiring a car there as well, or will bikes suffice?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don’t think they allow motorhomes, they certainly didn’t use to , might have changed ? they might be more grateful for the business now (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie9038
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I don’t they allow motorhomes, they certainly didn’t use to , might have changed ? they might be grateful if the visit now
Yes they allow motorhome s but you must book a site to get a permit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are you sure condor are running yet ? Is it only freight etc at the moment as I don’t think they have flung the doors wide open yet

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Definitely worth hiring a car imo ,the island may look small but lots of hidden beauty spots around both islands and a few hills. But if your feeling energetic a pushbike also.
Lots of lovely walks .

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Jersey is a lovely place but not very motorhome friendly due to the narrow lanes.
I`d suggest parking up and using your bikes or a small hire car.
There are some teriffic beaches.
I don`t think they`re open just yet and are likely to be very cautious when they do open.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I like Jersey, beautiful island, good walking, I never had motorhome at the time although I believe you get permit drive to site then your motorhome has to remain on site, I am prepared to be told different. The bus service on island was excellent when required. I would happily return.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Took the van to Guernsey to attend a wedding but never again and ours is only a panel van. Spent more time on the pavements than on the road. Very expensive on the ferry as well.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I preferred Guernsey but we took the car and a tent. But it was a while ago.....

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We went 25 to 30 years ago, had to smile at the amount Ferrari and rolls etc and there is a 40 mph speed limit

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Condor Ferries used to have weight and height restrictions, it’s a while since we last went and I know the ‘ cats’ are bigger now so this may have changed.
Guernsey for me is the prettier and slightly less commercial of the two, but there is more to do on Jersey. Do take day trip to Sark, I think you can take your bikes on the ferry or you can hire one.
Alderney is another day out, we used to fly over for a day or two and stop in one of many guest houses there.
The islands police car had the registration number 999 !
I think it will not be too long before we will know what we will be able to do regarding travel, France I think have introduced 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving there from outside their borders so that knocks that as a place to go for the immediate future.

Bernie T

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
A couple of us were going to take the boats for a jolly over to Guernsey for a week or so.
Can't see it happening this year now ?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We have been quite regular visitors to Jersey and Gurnsey. We have tried hire cars on a couple of occasions when the kids were small but found them quite costly.
We now try and and stay near a bus route. The bus drivers are used to the roads and very helpful with directions to attractions.
I have thought of taking the van to Jersey to use as a base then cross to St Malo once things get back to some normality.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We’ve been to Jersey several times, staying at Rozel campsite. Bus stop outside the gates. On booking they provide you with your permit. I did ferry on the first trip and had horrendous sea sickness. I now fly and meet hubby at the site. Roughly same cost per person On easyJet. We also hire a car which I collect at the airport. In a MH you are expected to return to base every night if you wander around the island in it, but as previously said the roads are narrow and max speed limit on the island is 40 mph. Not a cheap holiday though, rough costs including ferry and hire car, flight, site fees inc electric, etc and dogs at high season is about £1000for 10-14days. I’ve grown over the visits to love it there, as we’ve become more familiar with good places to visit and eat. Dogs go with you and can stay in van but length restrictions on cat, so with our 7.5 m Mh we had to get the overnight ferry. The dogs still were able to stay in van and hubby got one if the staff to look in on them.

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Guernsey every time. Loads to do. Couple of lovely campsites bur roads are REALLY narrow and you are bound to put deep scratches in the sides of your MH, as well as wreck your wing mirrors. Bus service is amazing and v cheap if you buy a puffin card (60p/journey). We were supposed to be going tomorrow but hey ho.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We visit Jersey every year but not in motorhome, usually fly or car and stay at mates. Condor are starting back up in June. Sites are really good. When we were there last we took a tour of Rozel site. Really lovely site and the boss seemed friendly. Sites here are always a bit expensive. Access to the sites in the north of the island are tight but doable. You only used to be allowed 2 journeys out in your MH , one to the site and one back to the port, but it might have changed since, although I doubt you would want to go out regularly along those roads. Some locals do drive down to St Ouens big beach car park at a weekend. Jersey is a fabulous place with a good bus network with every trip £2. English bus pass not allowed. There are great coastal walks. Beaches are some of the best I've ever come across in the world. Competing with the ones i'd seen in Oz and NZ. Its a fab place for eating out as many restaurants have beach / coastal views. If you have a good supply of cash then you could have a tremendous holiday .If you enjoy eating out sign up for the discount cards from the two local breweries , Randalls and Liberation. They give you 10% back in points to redeem off future meals. At the moment only pubs with outside gardens are open and you have to book a table with them before going. Then you are allowed 3 hours to eat and drink. The island has a look and feel of some parts of Brittany about it.

Jan 12, 2018
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Integrated
Exp
12 years
I live in Jersey - ferries not running yet. Need permit to bring MH to island but that sorted for you by campsites, who will also advise of any restrictions. Should be able to book extra long vehicle on condor if you do so by phone - ours is 8m and we have never had a problem. Width may be an issue for permit to come into the island though - 2.3 normally max width, but again campsites should be able to advise. Dogs allowed on ferry but must stay in MH. 3 sites in Jersey - our favourite is the former Daisy Cottage, ( now The Palms). Bikes generally good for getting around. Maybe an idea to hire a car for 2/3 days to explore the further reaches of the island if you are not very fit! We have lots of short, sharp hills. Jersey is beautiful and hope you make it one day.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
We flew to Guernsey last year for a weekend break. Hired a car and sussed out campsites for future visit. We found only 2 and one of them didn't allow dogs. Shame cos it looked really nice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seem to recall similar questions in the past and I'm pretty sure some of the Channel islands don't allow visiting dogs so best to check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back