I've found a random disconnected wire with a funny end in my battery box - another round of CamperJack's what's this wire game! (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I was looking in my starter battery compartment because the 12v sockets in my dashboard work, stop breifly - turning the rear view camera off, and then randomly come back on again! 🙄

Anyway, all wires attached to the battery are fastened securely. But I found this disconnected wire down the side of the battery.

IMG_20210309_153751.jpg

I had hoped the bulky black connector would fit the airbag wire that's disconnected from anything and causing my airbag light to remain off but they don't fit together. The wire I found also has what looks like a connection that looks like it belongs on the negative post of the battery.

Air bag is the yellow one.

IMG_20210309_153807.jpg

The random unconnected wire I found is made up of multiple smaller and multicoloured wires. This to me suggests that it's part of the van wiring loom and really should be connected to something!

IMG_20210309_153816.jpg

As some of you will be aware I've been having juddering and stalling issues. Although I think I've fixed this by having a blocked DPF atomiser replaced. But this lose wire must do something. Perhaps it's a contributing factor to the running issues I've been having with the engine and the fact the power to the12v sockets is on / off randomly for short periods.

So does anyone have any idea where this wire should go or what it does??

I'm totally confused.com . Again.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Should add this is a 2013 boxer panel van I'm converting.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Been in another thread but I can't remember what it was for.
I do remember it was put back where found.

Thanks! ☺️☺️☺️

Hopefully the person who started the thread will see this and point me in the right direction. 🤞🤞🤞

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I found the same wire on mine left it as had no idea what was for. Looks like an earth wire but as working ok I left it😁

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I found the same wire on mine left it as had no idea what was for. Looks like an earth wire but as working ok I left it😁

Thanks for taking the time to help! :giggle:

Someone on Facebook has told me that their van has one too. They said the smaller black wire goes to ground but the chunky connector isn't attached to anything.

On yours is the smaller wire connected to ground or battery negative or nothing at all?

I've asked the guy on Facebook and I'm waiting for a response. 🤞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Mine was just laying alongside the battery, I thought it should be to the negative terminal but decided to leave it where it was

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I believe the looms on the base vehicles are generic. To save money they're mass produced with terminals for all the options for all markets, so it's usual to find the odd one which isn't connected. It could be for something like a fuel tank heater that is an option for the northern Russian market or for rear seat belt warning lights in the US mini bus version.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Yes all working ok

Maybe the 12v socket issue I'm having isn't related to this random wire then? I'm tempted to run my own wires to the sockets with an inline blade fuse in the batter box and bypass the van's wiring altogether. Obviously adding a switch to the sockets to stop them draining the battery when the engine is off.

I'd still like to know what it's for. It must do something...

It seems very odd to me to have a ground wire not connected and a chunky connector that goes nowhere.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Is it possible to contact the previous owner?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Is it possible to contact the previous owner?

Might not be a bad idea but they were / are a fairly big conservatory fitters. I doubt if I phoned up the business number the person on the other end would have any idea which van I was talking about, let alone the wire.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I don`t think it`s that odd at all, I`d just leave them and run new wire to you item not working

I am very tempted to do this. I have tried plugging the rear view camera into the socket in the living space and it works perfect. It's definitely the dashboard sockets that are dodgy, not the camera or its wire.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am very tempted to do this. I have tried plugging the rear view camera into the socket in the living space and it works perfect. It's definitely the dashboard sockets that are dodgy, not the camera or its wire.
I have 2 dash sockets next to each other with different rated fuses and my dash sockets were wired to the wrong fuses in the fuse box so kept blowing 1 of the fuses.

swapped the fuses around the the higher value fuse was now for the main socket and all has been well since.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Might not be a bad idea but they were / are a fairly big conservatory fitters. I doubt if I phoned up the business number the person on the other end would have any idea which van I was talking about, let alone the wire.
It might lead you to the garage that maintained their vans. It’s only a phone call. You might be pleasantly surprised. Or as said before leave them tucked away and run your own. But you will wake during the night wondering.🤔🤔🤔😂😂

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I believe the looms on the base vehicles are generic. To save money they're mass produced with terminals for all the options for all markets, so it's usual to find the odd one which isn't connected. It could be for something like a fuel tank heater that is an option for the northern Russian market or for rear seat belt warning lights in the US mini bus version.
Yes, I think this is definitely the case. For example, our van has a seat belt pretensioner cable on the passenger side, and there certainly isn’t a passenger side airbag!

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I'm guessing Peugeot will only have 1 wiring loom that will cover all the different spec boxes and the plugs are for things that havnt been added to your van do I would just leave them where you found them

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
absolutely, it's a standard loom and that plug is not used in most vans

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Are the faulty sockets the ones you replaced here?

If so I’d suspect the fault is the cheap Chinese sockets rather than the wiring.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's a cable for additional vehicle battery connection for ambulances and other conversions. Often comes as standard with the spec of Sevel cabs ordered by MH converters, but not used by them so can be ignored. Just tuck it back down the side of the battery.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If you have two spare plugs they may well be for heated seats, or seat belt warnings. Same wiring loom used on many different levels of equipment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Put them back where you found them but before you do tape up the ends so you can't accidentally get a short etc (better safe than sorry).

As for your socket issue, check the wiring is okay, no nicks etc in it (well as much as you can) and also the socket you bought.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Are the faulty sockets the ones you replaced here?

If so I’d suspect the fault is the cheap Chinese sockets rather than the wiring.

Thanks. It's a good idea but I've already tested this by removing the sockets and attaching one I know works.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Check the lead you think is a negative with a meter. On lead on the cable the other to the chassis .If a circuit then just connect to the neg on battery.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Going against some advice I connected the lug of this wire to the negetive battery post.

It seems to have cured the issue I was having with my sockets and the van has had no fits of jolting or stalling since.

Coincidence? Who knows!

I reckon it's got a brain all of its own and it has major mood swings.

Perhaps it is happy because I'm using it as my run around for shopping for both myself and my grandparents and such like. Perhaps it feels less envious of the car now I'm using it to try and test it out?

🤔🤔🙄🙄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back