It's been asked before...but best travel card? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Depends what you need.

If you want another conventional credit card then Halifax Clarity is a good option.

If you're thinking more of a currency card then Revolut is the best in terms of rates. You need to be watching the exchange rates and buy Euros at the right time to take full advantage of it. Be aware though that currency cards often won't work at automated points - tolls, petrol pumps etc. This applies to all of them.

Reactions: Sue

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Another for the Clarity card, not had a problem with it at any ATM in Europe & Morocco also good for the French tolls, at the ATM's don't take the banks exchange rate (Euros) tho take card issuers.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We take loads now after several problems the last couple of years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We have a Santander zero-rate credit card and also an ICE pre-paid card for obtaining euros along the way.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry, but as well as a Revolut, just arranged a Nationwide Debit Card and a Nationwide Select Credit Card. Do not know why you do not want Nationwide, but after the hassle of getting through on the phone to someone who could actually help I almost gave up:mad:.

However, it was a close call as there was Barclaycard Credit Card, that offered fee free transactions but dislike Barclaycard and do not trust them:cautious:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We like the post office travel money card - seem to get a good exchange rate and very easy to use and top up with the app

Reactions: Sue
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Revolut for cash and payments with both Nationwide credit and debit cards as backups. Now transferring my Norwich & Peterborough account transactions to Nationwide as they are being closed in August.
Cheers
Ed

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Halifax clarity card for us! Only use it abroad great rates never had problem with it get a fiver back if we spend ?£300 a month. Pay it off when used so never had to pay charges to use it . Even I can use their on line banking thingy!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Halifax clarity card for us! Only use it abroad great rates never had problem with it get a fiver back if we spend ?£300 a month. Pay it off when used so never had to pay charges to use it . Even I can use their on line banking thingy!
Yeah exactly the same for us, never use it in U.K. , where we use the Tesco one for tunnel points, but abroad clarity has no equal, it's wonder they havnt changed it before now.(y)(y):)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just need to visit a branch they are open till 8 pm open sat and Sunday all done in branch and you walk away with your cards
Joe

Broken Link Removed

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
You can't use Revolut at auto fuel stations, but never had any trouble with It at tolls, purchases or ATM withdrawals, all be it that has a limit.

Also carry a Caxton card, a Nationwide debit and credit card, a Stantander debit card and a Santander Zero credit card. The name refers to the lack of foreign transaction fees. :)

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We use saga credit for all spends, no charges and good rate. We also have Santander debit, free cash withdrawals in their own machines , and sterling to change to euros. ( we get a better rate changing sterling in spain than in U.K.)

We also have MasterCard in case the saga doesn't work at automatic petrol pumps which happens occasionally .

Now I've written it down it sounds complicated but it covers us well.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Know your rates and fees.
From Halifax I have a Reward current account and a Clarity credit card.
From the Nationwide I have a Flex Plus account and a Select credit card.

For foreign use:
The Halifax debit card has a 2.75% transaction fee plus a fixed foriegn use fee of £1.50. :( I don't use this card abroad!
The Halifax Clarity credit card has no fees at all :D Cash withdraws are subject to daily interest until paid off. I use this for purchases.
The Nationwide debit card has no fees at all for cash withdraws:) I use this for drawing cash
However it has a 2% fee for purchases:( So its not used for purcahes.
The Nationwide Select credit card is fee free for purchases but has a 2.5% (min£3) fee for cash withdraws:(. I occassional use it for purchases,

Using the wrong card can be expensive.
In short I use the Halifax Clarity card for purchases with the Nationwide Select Credit card in reserve, as one is Visa and the other Mastercard, For cash I use the Nationwide Flexplus debit card, with the Clarity card used as backup taking the interest charge hit, again one each Visa and Mastercard.

Note the Nationwide Flexplus account has a £10 monthly fee but earns 3% interest on the first £2500 in the account about £6 a month. I willingly pay the fee to get breakdown insurance on all my (3) vehicles. I was previous paying £170 to cover the two cars and the motorhome. (This account has other benefits which don't apply or are not of interest to me).

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Are you sure it covers 3 vehicles according to Broken Link Removed
It only covers 2 vehicles if you have a joint account ?

Joe

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just need to visit a branch they are open till 8 pm open sat and Sunday all done in branch and you walk away with your cards
Joe

Broken Link Removed
That's true as well but all branches are in London:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is what we USE:

Credit cards:

• Halifax Clarity - no commission/fees on purchases
  • Aqua - no commission/fees on purchases abroad with the benefit of 0.5% cashback!
Debit cards:
  • None! Too expensive to use abroad due to commission/fees.
Preloaded Cash cards:
  • Revolut - no commission/fees for first £200/€200 taken out each calendar month, then commission after that (we have a card each so can get double this out which is more than sufficient for our needs).
  • Caxton - as a back-up asthe rates aren't as good as Revolut but better than using any other type of card for ATM withdrawals as no commission/fee.
Cash:
  • We take some with us - we tend to draw it out when we are on our way home from holiday so we have some 'in our wallets' ready for next time, but not a massive amount, just enough for a few days when we first go abroad.

We do also take our Lloyds Bank debit cards and our Nationwide Credit Cards for back-up just in case we have problems with the others.

Important: if you use Eurotunnel and pay with a credit or debit card you MUST take that same card with you just in case you have problem as they usually want to 'see' the card that the ticket was originally paid with. If you get a new/replacement card for the one you've used to pay for it with make sure you update the info on your account if you are a 'frequent traveller' ... I found this out the 'hard way' on our last trip!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
This is what we USE:

Credit cards:

• Halifax Clarity - no commission/fees on purchases
  • Aqua - no commission/fees on purchases abroad with the benefit of 0.5% cashback!
Debit cards:
  • None! Too expensive to use abroad due to commission/fees.
Preloaded Cash cards:
  • Revolut - no commission/fees for first £200/€200 taken out each calendar month, then commission after that (we have a card each so can get double this out which is more than sufficient for our needs).
  • Caxton - as a back-up asthe rates aren't as good as Revolut but better than using any other type of card for ATM withdrawals as no commission/fee.
Cash:
  • We take some with us - we tend to draw it out when we are on our way home from holiday so we have some 'in our wallets' ready for next time, but not a massive amount, just enough for a few days when we first go abroad.

We do also take our Lloyds Bank debit cards and our Nationwide Credit Cards for back-up just in case we have problems with the others.

Important: if you use Eurotunnel and pay with a credit or debit card you MUST take that same card with you just in case you have problem as they usually want to 'see' the card that the ticket was originally paid with. If you get a new/replacement card for the one you've used to pay for it with make sure you update the info on your account if you are a 'frequent traveller' ... I found this out the 'hard way' on our last trip!
WITH REVOLUT ....You pay commission over 200 euros per calender month?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I already said that in my posting above:

Preloaded Cash cards:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You do but their exchange rate is usually that much better than anyone else so the commission is more than covered and as Mel says if there are two of you then have a card each which gets you €400.

I suppose it depends how much cash you need. If it's thousands of Euros then there's probably a better way of getting it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Metro bank credit and debit cards free no transaction fee
Do you know what they base their exchange rates on?
I've asked them a couple of times, never had an answer, doesn't give me a lot of confidence in them.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Are you sure it covers 3 vehicles according to Broken Link Removed
It only covers 2 vehicles if you have a joint account ?

Joe
Just checked with Nationwide, The account holders are covered in any UK registered vehicled whether they own them or not. The 2 vehicle limit only applys if you have given another person permission to use your car, it breaksdown and they are claiming as its your car. But they admit they only comfirm the vehicle is registered to the account holder should a claim arise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back