It was all going so well..... (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
So, MH are ready to go tomorrow, just went to rinse a spoon in the sink and no water. It woul now appear the water pump is not running. There is water in the fresh water tank (about a quarter) and it was all working fine this afternoon. The switch is on at the control panel and I am still on hook up.

Have checked fuse and that looks ok?

Apart from my water pump gone, has anyone got any ideas?

In case you've forgotten it a C-Tourer I 150 year 2018.

Going to post this in the general questions area as well as it looks like my fist trip is going to have be cancelled if I can't get this sorted tonight.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Have you checked the water hasn't dumped due to the cold weather opening the boiler relief valve,IE check under the van to see if there is a puddle. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Have you checked the water hasn't dumped due to the cold weather opening the boiler relief valve,IE check under the van to see if there is a puddle. (y)
Nope all good. No water under van. Apparently we don't have one of those releif valves.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is the pump running and no water coming out or is the pump not running?

If its not running check to see if you have 12v at the pump.

If it is running its probably an air lock. Open a couple of taps just enough to get the pump running and leave for 5 to 10 min that will often clear an air lock.

Nope all good. No water under van. Apparently we don't have one of those releif valves.
Yes you do.

Last edited:

P Bentley

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
Challenger 250
I
Have checked fuse and that looks ok?

Have you "changed" the fuse.
Have you checked other water outlets shower, wash basin?
have yopu checked elec connections to the pump are secure?

Contingency plans
Have you contacted an auto electrician in the area to se if they can have look ?
Have you checked the nearest availability of a replacement pump on line or local to you NH supplier/dealer ?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I presume you have checked all the taps and it's not just the one thats not working??

strange that it was working earlier and now just stopped, you haven't disturbed any wiring connection when you were loading have you??

PS. You haven't nicked one have you because, according to your Avatar, you don't own one yet?? :rofl:

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I presume you have checked all the taps and it's not just the one thats not working??

strange that it was working earlier and now just stopped, you haven't disturbed any wiring connection when you were loading have you??

PS. You haven't nicked one have you because, according to your Avatar, you don't own one yet?? :rofl:
Yep, chcked all taps, even the toilet.

Spent most the afternoon messing with TV and Sat Nav so fairly sure I haven't disturbed anything.

Have amended my avatar details now, although if I had knicked this one I would jave taken it back by now :LOL:

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I

Have you "changed" the fuse.
Have you checked other water outlets shower, wash basin?
have yopu checked elec connections to the pump are secure?

Contingency plans
Have you contacted an auto electrician in the area to se if they can have look ?
Have you checked the nearest availability of a replacement pump on line or local to you NH supplier/dealer ?
Haven't changed the fuse. When I turn th pump button on at the control panel I hear a click from the rear of the MH, but no pump.
Checked all other water outlets (including toilet)
Don''r know where the pump is (I'm new to this MH lark). But it worked fine when I turned it all on this afternoon. Checked everything, shower, toilet, WC basin and sink.

If there's no 'secret' button I've accidentally hit or some magic reset button then I think it's back to the mechanice at Reliance. They may take pity on me and squeeze me in :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Is the pump running and no water coming out or is the pump not running?

If its not running check to see if you have 12v at the pump.

If it is running its probably an air lock. Open a couple of taps just enough to get the pump running and leave for 5 to 10 min that will often clear an air lock.

Yes you do.
Pump is not running. There is a click from the rear of the MH was I hit the pump button on the control panel.

Don't know where the pump is.

Asked the dealer at hondover time if i had a frost relief valve and he said no.

What I have found is another fresh water cap in the garage (as well a the one I've been using at the bottom of the bed). I opened it and water came out, so put it back quickly). The water tank is abot a third full.

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I'm in Lancing happy to have a look if you want to pop down.
Thanks for the offer. My take you up on that. WIll try the dealer in the morning as they also service these vehicles just to make sure it's not something we're done/doing wrong.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
You will have an auto "dump valve" LHS in the big locker by the hab door. One is blue and that dumps the water if cold and the other is a brass lever to empty the boiler. Pump is likely to be the uk offside in the front locker, behind passenger seat. With 12v and pump on the panel you should get a continuous 12v supply to the pump. Good luck.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd expect your pump to be under the floor, and accessible by removing a floor panel or opening an outside locker.
You need to find it to be able to test it. Your description of a 'click' is interesting - it could be from the (jammed?) pump, so I'd go looking to see where that sound is coming from.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Try tapping the pump ,it might seized during wintr

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Don’t know about your particular van but in our van, if there’s less than about a 1/4 tank of fresh water, pump doesn’t operate. First happened to us in Portugal. We added water and bingo! Others have suggested similar.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You do have a frost dump valve, its under the floor of the hatch as you come in the hab door, next to the boiler drain off dump valve.(y)
The click you hear from the rear is probably a latching relay inside The CBE Consumer unit when you turn on the control units 12Volt supply, which is a good thing.(y)
I am surprised you dont know where roughly the water pump is as they are loud, I nickname ours "The Wood Pecker":giggle: ours is visable and easy to get to from one of the external lockers. It maybe wise to check the water filter (clear plastic bottom unscrews) to check if any crud has been captured, however this is unlikely to be the cause of the pump not working, just good maintenance.
You have a pressurised water system (no micro switches in taps like Hymers) once you turn on the pump at the control panel, the pump usualy kicks in momentarily to pressurise the water system, once you open any tap the pump should run immediately.
If it doesn't then you need to locate the pump, find the fuse for it in the distribution board in the garage, check the fuse is OK.
The pump is a Shureflow type, and is normally very reliable, but if you have a multi meter, its easy to check that 12V is getting to it, if not, you have a supply problem, probable cause blown fuse.
Lenny will sort you out, no problem.(y):giggle:
Good Luck.
LES

Last edited:
OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Thanks for all your help everyone. Thanks to the advice on here it's now working. :giggle:

Found the water pump thanks to the advice on here (it's in underfloor area behing a mesh cage), then gave it a little tap with hammer and hey presto, it works, and yes it is fairly loud :) . We tapped various parts of the pump, but it only seem to work when we tapped the bottom (black plastic) bit of the pump.

So, hammer has been packed, and off we go.

Thanks again for all your help.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It might be an idea as said by TinaL to unscrew the filter and see if there's any crud in there.
I note that you said that correction with the Manchester screwdriver didn't work until you tapped in the area of the filter.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for all your help everyone. Thanks to the advice on here it's now working. :giggle:

Found the water pump thanks to the advice on here (it's in underfloor area behing a mesh cage), then gave it a little tap with hammer and hey presto, it works, and yes it is fairly loud :) . We tapped various parts of the pump, but it only seem to work when we tapped the bottom (black plastic) bit of the pump.

So, hammer has been packed, and off we go.

Thanks again for all your help.
Glad everything is ok now… have a good trip!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If all else fails, belt it one!

There is a pressure valve, on top of the pump. When the pressure drops it starts the motor. You need to check whether there is 12volts to the motor. Also check the ground cable to the pump, as without a connection the pump won’t work. Have a look online for a Shurflo pump wiring diagram.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Now I have very little advice to give where Motorhomes are concerned. I was the same as you, but your handover I guess was basic, I would try and find all the bits that you might need to find over time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The black plastic part of the pump houses the diaphragm & the microswitch, as the pump was not running I think the microswitch was probably sticking. Might be worth carrying a spare microswitch.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The black plastic part of the pump houses the diaphragm & the microswitch, as the pump was not running I think the microswitch was probably sticking. Might be worth carrying a spare microswitch.

or pump as they are only £60-£70 and, normally, easy to fit?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Glad you found the pump. It may have an integral pressure sensing switch and that had stuck.
I'd get a spare pump. If you keep on hammering it, you're going to need one.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You may need to clean the pump out to stop it sticking again. (y)
Not a difficult job but make sure it's turned off first ;)

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
So, I'd decided to follow advice and get a spare pump (although the original was fine after the hammer 'repair'). This one looks to have the same settings as mine (12 volts, 7.0 l/min, 1.4 bar, 4 amp). Do I need to get any other parts in order to fit it?

Attachments

• MH pump replacement.png
    MH pump replacement.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 41

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back