Isle of Harris - appeal for respectful parking (1 Viewer)

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Guys just a heads up if you are, or are planning to visit the Isle of Harris.

A petition has been launched regarding thoughtless parkers using the Luskentyre Cemetery- "Stop the parking of Motorhomes and cars in designated Cemetery parking spaces" has so far attracted some 1500 plus of a target of 2500 signatures. Islanders are being upset that despite signage and the council putting out cones (which are being moved) people of both motorhomes and cars continue to block the entrance making it difficult for mourners. In addition, other thoughtless behaviour, such as the drying of towels, wetsuits etc on the cemetery fences plus loud music have stoked the fire of discontent and is seen as disrespectful by the islanders.

The petition can be viewed here:

1686750673066.png

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've parked in a few cemetery car parks but never one like that, and they've always been empty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We noted it there a couple of years ago, vans overnighting continuously. It would be a shame to lose that parking, it's a gorgeous beach. I was kayak surfing there, accompanied by some seals, they are just so graceful in the water, almost like their made of a gelatinous oil, their so flexible.
Mike

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
same old story folks don’t appreciate something till its gone. Yet again a thoughtless disrespectful few spoil it for many. We still get strange looks when we park somewhere nice for a cuppa if we spend a few hours there so decide if we collect some of the rubbish that others not just motorhomes have left behind it shows our appreciation of the fact that we have stayed somewhere nice and left it nicer for others. Have got challenged as someone thought we were fly tipping but when we explained what we were doing they helped. Not specifically Scotland but any quiet off the beaten track.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Absolutely no reason to park there, there is a new space opened up at the beach which coukd take 10 vans easily and the community has a small number of honesty box sites dotted around plus Horgabost and Talla Na Mara camp sites. Tight arsed Barstawards

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Yet again a thoughtless disrespectful few spoil it for many.
I just dont believe it's the 'few' anymore, it's the majority that now behave like these

If you read the reviews of places like this they are normally rammed all year round with little 4 Van places having 10 vans on them with more vans on verges nearby etc. Thats not just a few anymore
Is it the hype of scotland (or just van life hype) over the last decade that has made it the 'place to be' and if you arrive at a stop around 8pm and it's already overflowing then 🤷‍♂️
I think the people who would drive a bit further to find a desolate spot are the 'few' with the many now deciding....well if they are doing it so will I 🤦‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
signed..

and as said, it's not 'the few' ,

it's the 'many' who are now spoiling it for everyone.. including the locals.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back