Is your Ford roadside recovery policy worthless? (2 Viewers)

Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
I use NatWest breakdown cover (AA). Their headlines say; "You are covered in any privately registered vehicle you are in, and for any vehicle registered to you which is being driven by you or someone else." But they lied. The small print cover is ;
AA Capture.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
That's right Richard but it covers our 7m - 3500kgs motorhome fortunately
Could you check the Ford Vin plate on your Swift Voyager 540. Not the Swift converters plate. You will find the Ford plate in the passenger side door surround. It could also be on the drivers side. Does it say 3500kg or 3550kg? If 3550kg the AA might not recover you.

K9Motorhomers

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2021
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 540
Exp
Since 1979
Could you check the Ford Vin plate on your Swift Voyager 540. Not the Swift converters plate. You will find the Ford plate in the passenger side door surround. It could also be on the drivers side. Does it say 3500kg or 3550kg? If 3550kg the AA might not recover you.
3500kgs is on the Swift converters plate this supersedes the Ford plate

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I use NatWest breakdown cover (AA). Their headlines say; "You are covered in any privately registered vehicle you are in, and for any vehicle registered to you which is being driven by you or someone else." But they lied. The small print cover is ;View attachment 865368
Thanks Richard. This is a really interesting example of an insurance with a lot of get-outs. Not fun if you are on the side of a busy motorway arguing dimensions and weights with an operator who is briefed to be resistant to sending out help. And of course they will expect you to have all of this detail to hand when you call them in the rain and wind.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
3500kgs is on the Swift converters plate this supersedes the Ford plate
Exactly my argument. And I thought the same as you. But not according to the AA. They recover vehicles that are plated by manufacturers to carry loads up to the plated weight not motorhomes and other conversions with bits of paper stuck on them by converters. So what does your Ford Vin plate say out of interest ?

K9Motorhomers

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2021
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 540
Exp
Since 1979
Exactly my argument. And I thought the same as you. But not according to the AA. They recover vehicles that are plated by manufacturers to carry loads up to the plated weight not motorhomes and other conversions with bits of paper stuck on them by converters. So what does your Ford Vin plate say out of interest ?
Ford 3550kgs but that plate has been superceded. My profile should explain why this is a topic I am reasonably knowledgable about. I am currently in the process of up-plating. Going to 4000kgs would not increase axle weights so having had air suspension fitted on the rear and changing the tyres to 119/121 I have applied for increase to 4100kgs which increases axle 2 by 180kgs. Once that's complete and the new plate is on I will look at someone like Red Pennant for my breakdown/recovery.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
A very interesting point has arisen in my head following my reply to K9Motorhomers. Does the converter of a motorhome have any contractual relationship with the recovery services? My assumption has always been that the vehicle manufacturer owns the relationship - hence the logic of contacting Ford to complain about a failure in support from the AA. The application of a sticker to my Ford-based van (by Bailey of Bristol) to reduce the gross weight to 3,500kg shouldn't really affect the contract between Ford and the recovery services. Views on this welcome as it goes the heart of the argument.

K9Motorhomers

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2021
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 540
Exp
Since 1979
The
A very interesting point has arisen in my head following my reply to K9Motorhomers. Does the converter of a motorhome have any contractual relationship with the recovery services? My assumption has always been that the vehicle manufacturer owns the relationship - hence the logic of contacting Ford to complain about a failure in support from the AA. The application of a sticker to my Ford-based van (by Bailey of Bristol) to reduce the gross weight to 3,500kg shouldn't really affect the contract between Ford and the recovery services. Views on this welcome as it goes the heart of the argument.
The contract is between Ford and the AA. My good lady has been on with this subject for a while now. Surely it is not fit for purpose. Letters have been sent but as yet no response

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Ford 3550kgs but that plate has been superceded. My profile should explain why this is a topic I am reasonably knowledgable about. I am currently in the process of up-plating. Going to 4000kgs would not increase axle weights so having had air suspension fitted on the rear and changing the tyres to 119/121 I have applied for increase to 4100kgs which increases axle 2 by 180kgs. Once that's complete and the new plate is on I will look at someone like Red Pennant for my breakdown/recovery.
Your conclusion is spot on. Please look back on previous exchanges on this forum. I have already up-plated to 4,000kgs with airbags as an extra precaution for stability etc. My original point was that you must not rely on the "free" roadside cover that comes with your new van. You need to sign up for a separate policy that covers your specific needs. I have improved the safety of my van considerably with the suspension air bag enhancements I have made. When I broke down for unrelated reasons I was amazed that the AA said I am not covered because I was outside their Ford weight threshold (3,500kg) from the day I bought the van - only 10 months ago ! Long before I had driven the van for the first time. They would not discuss my points about the converters plate.

K9Motorhomers

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2021
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 540
Exp
Since 1979
Your conclusion is spot on. Please look back on previous exchanges on this forum. I have already up-plated to 4,000kgs with airbags as an extra precaution for stability etc. My original point was that you must not rely on the "free" roadside cover that comes with your new van. You need to sign up for a separate policy that covers your specific needs. I have improved the safety of my van considerably with the suspension air bag enhancements I have made. When I broke down for unrelated reasons I was amazed that the AA said I am not covered because I was outside their Ford weight threshold (3,500kg) from the day I bought the van - only 10 months ago ! Long before I had driven the van for the first time. They would not discuss my points about the converters plate.
That's exactly why I'm glad I have a Nationwide Flex account. Gave us peace of mind on our 5 week trip to Spain over Christmas. I'll let you know if we receive a response from Ford.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
That's exactly why I'm glad I have a Nationwide Flex account. Gave us peace of mind on our 5 week trip to Spain over Christmas. I'll let you know if we receive a response from Ford.
Your comments are really appreciated. Look at Nationwide Flex account now on my to-do list. Cheers.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
T and cā€™s for Ford assist state max length of 5.5m. Ford do not produce a transit below 5.53 which exceeds max length.
& in the reply I posted I quoted the link that says " Transit & connect vehicles have to see the RECOVERY section"

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
& in the reply I posted I quoted the link that says " Transit & connect vehicles have to see the RECOVERY section"
Cheers. Have you or anybody else got the full text on this.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks VM Stoosal. Initial scan gives me no comfort. I will put a wet towel around my head and give it a closer examination tomorrow.

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
Sent to both Ford and the AA today.

Morning,

I purchased the above vehicle new in September 2020 and was issued the Ford assistance break down cover for the first year. Subsequent years the break down cover was extended through the Ford main dealership servicing programme. I have never had to use the service luckily with the vehicle remaining reliable. However, it has been brought to my attention via a motorhome forum site that the current terms and conditions for the Ford Assistance recovery only allows vehicles up to 5.5m long to be recovered. This excludes my motorhome at 7.3m long and at 3.500kgs maximum weight and all of your current Transit models. Basically it would appear that although I have your current and active Ford Assistant policy you wont actually cover my vehicle for recovery and possibly haven't done from new, to include every new transit currently sold?.

Hopefully this is a error from your current break down partner (AA breakdown) and they need to update their terms and conditions or indeed if you have managed to exclude all full size Transit vehicles from break down recovery?.

Could you please look into this and advise accordingly . I have a French vacation with my motorhome booked shortly and I need clarity and an explanation please.

Thank you.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
T and cā€™s for Ford assist state max length of 5.5m. Ford do not produce a transit below 5.53 which exceeds max length.
For the first seven years of ownership of our ford based MH we used a ford main dealer for servicing. Horrible to think that we would not have been able to access help though that cover.

If I was still in the same situation I'd be contacting Moneysavingexpert because it appears (I am not a lawyer) that ford cheated me by promising a facility that they actually could not provide.

Sort of like the ppi scandal.

Nov 18, 2016
Rosyth
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2014

Morning,

I purchased the above vehicle new in September 2020 and was issued the Ford assistance break down cover for the first year. Subsequent years the break down cover was extended through the Ford main dealership servicing programme. I have never had to use the service luckily with the vehicle remaining reliable. However, it has been brought to my attention via a motorhome forum site that the current terms and conditions for the Ford Assistance recovery only allows vehicles up to 5.5m long to be recovered. This excludes my motorhome at 7.3m long and at 3.500kgs maximum weight and all of your current Transit models. Basically it would appear that although I have your current and active Ford Assistant policy you wont actually cover my vehicle for recovery and possibly haven't done from new, to include every new transit currently sold?.

Hopefully this is a error from your current break down partner (AA breakdown) and they need to update their terms and conditions or indeed if you have managed to exclude all full size Transit vehicles from break down recovery?.

Could you please look into this and advise accordingly . I have a French vacation with my motorhome booked shortly and I need clarity and an explanation please.

Thank you.
Thanks for that. I'll be interested in their reply. I did try to pursue the subject a couple of years ago, but got so frustrated I gave up in the end as I also have Nationwide cover, which covers motorhomes up to 7500kg. I can't remember exactly now, but when I looked into it there were two types of recovery contracts, one of them being "service activated" and I think one excluded vehicles over 3500kg, one excluded vehicles over 5.5m! The document provided by the service department appeared to be an old one which actually doesn't now exist! All clear as mud. I'm sure there must be folk who are over 5.5m and 3500kg who have actually been recovered though. Of course, in the middle of a breakdown isn't the time to find out that's not the case and fight a corner. I'm sorry folk have to add this to the list of things we shouldn't have to be worrying about when we buy brand new vans (Damp, injectors, timing belts, electrical malfunction etc). Yvonne

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
I use NatWest breakdown cover (AA). Their headlines say; "You are covered in any privately registered vehicle you are in, and for any vehicle registered to you which is being driven by you or someone else." But they lied. The small print cover is ;View attachment 865368
That gives a maximum height of 3m?

May 18, 2022
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi guys, just catching up overnight
We have a Ford based Bailey which we bought privately (boring lockdown story) and the Ford bit has been super reliable
I have been an AA member for years and we contacted them on our first trip to Europe
They explained that they do not have facilities to recover motorhome from Europe, end of!!
So we went with Red Pennantā€¦ which moves me over to the data breach thread!!šŸ˜
Never heard about the free Ford Assist until long after travelling to Europe
I wouldnā€™t bother contacting Bailey as they donā€™t reply to correspondence and the customer service people are frankly pretty ignorant, in both senses

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Your comments are really appreciated. Look at Nationwide Flex account now on my to-do list. Cheers.
I am very impressed with the comprehensive cover provided on the Flex Plus account for Ā£13 per month - Ā£156 per year. I'm tempted to take it up. I've read through the details of the policy document and it all looks good on MoHo weights and dimensions. However there is one little niggle in the get-outs. "The vehicle must be built to manufacturerā€™s specifications" My question is therefore - If you have upgraded your unit with air bags etc. Does this still conform to the manufacturers specifications? Also - who is the manufacturer? - Ford or the converter?

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I've given this a good examination today. My reading is that you are good for basic roadside assistance if you are under 4,600kg. However if you need to be recovered (ie. towed away) you must be under 5.5m in length. That sort of makes sense in terms of the extent an insurer can commit to services in another country where the insurer (the AA in this case) does not have a fleet. The other quirk I picked up in the very poor legal drafting of the policy is a condition that you must be displaying a relevant road fund licence on the relevant vehicle. Has anybody got one of these? The UK has long had Vehicle Excise Duty on vehicles. There has not been a road fund in recent times - VED is classified as general taxation. Also there are no longer any requirements to display a receipt for your VED payment in your windscreen. Lawyers drafting insurance policies of this sort should know that.

OP
OP
x17ken

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015

Morning,

Thank you.
This is a very good letter. They will probably have to wake up a lawyer or two to give a comprehensive and accurate response. I hope you get it before your French vacation for peace of mind. Thanks for your very prompt action.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I've given this a good examination today. My reading is that you are good for basic roadside assistance if you are under 4,600kg. However if you need to be recovered (ie. towed away) you must be under 5.5m in length. That sort of makes sense in terms of the extent an insurer can commit to services in another country where the insurer (the AA in this case) does not have a fleet. The other quirk I picked up in the very poor legal drafting of the policy is a condition that you must be displaying a relevant road fund licence on the relevant vehicle. Has anybody got one of these? The UK has long had Vehicle Excise Duty on vehicles. There has not been a road fund in recent times - VED is classified as general taxation. Also there are no longer any requirements to display a receipt for your VED payment in your windscreen. Lawyers drafting insurance policies of this sort should know that.
I would think that most recovery agents will have access to the various databases eg VED, MOT etc. Poorly worded but they will be able to tell if you have paid it or not!

I think that this policy has changed since I bought my Ford.

Iā€™m sure the limiting factor for me at the time was the 3500kgs limit, not the length. (That and the fact I would have had to travel 80 miles to the Ford main stealer and the difference in cost between local garage service and a Ford one meant it was more cost effective to take out a separate policy!)

I think the AA provided services to those with a Nationwide account and there were a few issues at the start with that until AA clarified weight and length dimensions relative to motorhomes. Hopefully this will be the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back