Is this the beginning of the end for Diesel vehicles. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The price differential between petrol and diesel has now jumped to 25p litre and it is only moving in one direction.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wondered what this thread was going to be about as I though 'vesicles' could mean anything! :LOL: :wink:

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
We are all at the mercy of "the markets" I'm afraid. Oil prices (therefore forecourt prices) will go up and down, but I'm not expecting Diesel to ever be less than £1.50/Litre ever again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I filled up last night at 169.9 close to home.....passed garages (inc morrisons) today up near Beverley that were 190+
😱

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We are all at the mercy of "the markets" I'm afraid. Oil prices (therefore forecourt prices) will go up and down, but I'm not expecting Diesel to ever be less than £1.50/Litre ever again.
Diesel oil demand compared to supply is very high right now due to Russian issues and also winter stocking. Likewise, Gasoline demand is very much lower

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I filled up last night at 169.9 close to home.....passed garages (inc morrisons) today up near Beverley that were 190+
😱
I managed 177 at Tesco Cleethorpes yesterday. But that was the Car, not the van. Next trip is in a couple of weeks so will probably swing by Morrisons or Asda on the way back to keep topped up (always leave the tanks full if possible to reduce possible condensation issues

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Don’t think so (end of diesel) - given the current state of the economy and cuts that all departments are going to have to make not just this year but year on year going forward, my own view is that trying to get the likes of the infrastructure ready by 2030 for electric vehicles may well be at risk re funding, etc - just my opinion…….

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The official line is "Supply and Demand"
The truth is Profiteering Bar Stewards
I wonder what the current situation would be if we had not all been taken in by the 1990's "Diesel is Safer" Con ?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Actually not correct. I follow fuel supply pricing and demand for shipping which is wholly price driven plus receive daily news feeds from organisations such as Platts. Someone might take the opportunity to make a bit of money but by far the major dynamics are as stated in my post above. Don't believe everything you read about fuel prices in the MSM - it give me a good laugh some days and facepalm on others

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Diesel is almost heating oil which demand rises in winter .. therefore supply and demand has caused rising prices.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
I managed 177 at Tesco Cleethorpes yesterday. But that was the Car, not the van. Next trip is in a couple of weeks so will probably swing by Morrisons or Asda on the way back to keep topped up (always leave the tanks full if possible to reduce possible condensation issues
Locally at least (Tavistock) fuel prices at Morrisons have been at least as high as main road branded filling stations. Not always so. Since they were bought out about a year or so ago, their prices generally have been moving steadily upwards. Other supermarket fuel prices nearby like Tesco and esp Sainsburys have wavered but are often a good bit lower.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The official line is "Supply and Demand"
The truth is Profiteering Bar Stewards
I wonder what the current situation would be if we had not all been taken in by the 1990's "Diesel is Safer" Con ?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yes it’s funny that did they not have the knowledge or science back in the 90s, why was diesel said to be much better then now it’s not?
It’s just scaremongering saying you won’t be able to drive a diesel anywhere soon. Big city centres maybe but everywhere else fine.

I know someone who’s just spent well over 300 grand on a new diesel Concorde he doesn’t seem concerned.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Yes it’s funny that did they not have the knowledge or science back in the 90s, why was diesel said to be much better then now it’s not?
It’s just scaremongering saying you won’t be able to drive a diesel anywhere soon. Big city centres maybe but everywhere else fine.

I know someone who’s just spent well over 300 grand on a new diesel Concorde he doesn’t seem concerned.
Iir, diesel Co2 emissions were lower than petrol. So buy diesel. Then they told us diesel particulates were nasty and told manufacturers we were evil for using them, so forced manufacturers to install efficiency sapping filters etc to reduce the particulates. Once we have all migrated to electric, they will tell us we should be buying something else. We must of course pay more every time.

I’ve seen stats in the past that show how high emissions are from buses, trucks etc. compared to cars. Thats never presented to us nowadays though.

Use what suits you. I have one of each! (Though the electric is a 125cc equivalent scooter. I last used it yesterday).

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Locally at least (Tavistock) fuel prices at Morrisons have been at least as high as main road branded filling stations. Not always so. Since they were bought out about a year or so ago, their prices generally have been moving steadily upwards. Other supermarket fuel prices nearby like Tesco and esp Sainsburys have wavered but are often a good bit lower.
I always check on PetrolPrices.com

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

A bit like Obama spending 5.7 million dollars on a beach front property in Hawaii. Probably he has insider information on rising sea levels ?

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Diesel is a bit pricy in Greece at the moment. The other day we filled up in Finikunda, around 10am, for 1.84 Euro.
After doing a bit of shopping in the nearby town of Pylos we drove past the Finikunda filling station. The price had risen to 2.20 Euro.

The filling station owner is a decent man and commented how lucky we had been in the morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back