Is this Niesmann Arto 69 worth it? (1 Viewer)

Smunkey74

Free Member
Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Searching
Hi all. I'm just looking for our first Motorhome and this Niesmann has caught my eye but it does look a little unloved and I'm not sure if that is damp at the bottom corners of the rear window.
Any advice would be very much welcome, thank you.

OP
OP
Smunkey74

Smunkey74

Free Member
Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Searching
Smunkey74

You are getting some good information from several people who know not only N&B but other well-built so heavier MHs, which lead to similar payload problems, particularly with the family and accoutrements you wish to carry. What do your sons weigh, and what will they weigh in 2 years?

I think that, by whatever means, you probably need a max weight of 4250kg and should be setting your sights on that either existing weight or achievable by modification. If you run with minimal water and fuel maybe 4000kg would do, but it would restrict flexibility.

Geoff
With that in mind Geoff, is it better to be looking for a larger model, possibly a tag axle?
Am I unlikely to be able to increase the MAM sufficiently on the smaller A class models from N&B or Hymer even with suspension modifications?

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
With that in mind Geoff, is it better to be looking for a larger model, possibly a tag axle?
Am I unlikely to be able to increase the MAM sufficiently on the smaller A class models from N&B or Hymer even with suspension modifications?

This could start trouble - but, I regularly contend that the chances of being caught for overweight in a MH are pretty slim and even if you did you have a 5%/axle allowance and you are allowed to redistribute your load so on 4100kgs you would have an extra 205kgs to play with. The counter argument is will the insurance company payout if you have a bump and you're found to be overweight? My answer to this is what are the chances? The Insurance Co would have to prove negligence, and if a mh has a bump serious enough will there be enough of it left to weigh?

Our 2nd Arto 2010 74 was plated at 4500kgs from the factory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smunkey74

Smunkey74

Free Member
Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Searching
I can pretty much guarantee that if I ran a wagon over-loaded, I'd be stopped by VOSA :ROFLMAO:

Genuinely, I just wouldn't even risk it so I'm probably going to have to look for something that is already plate at over 4000kg or will be easy enough to up-plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I can pretty much guarantee that if I ran a wagon over-loaded, I'd be stopped by VOSA :ROFLMAO:

Genuinely, I just wouldn't even risk it so I'm probably going to have to look for something that is already plate at over 4000kg or will be easy enough to up-plate.
Whatever you buy you will still need to have it weighed to know what payload it has. A heavier plated motorhome might just be a heavier motorhome and still have a limited payload. The factory fitted options alone can eat up all the payload if the first purchaser got carried away. Sometimes the payload figures given by manufacturers are a work of fiction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smunkey74

Smunkey74

Free Member
Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Searching
It's quite interesting that from all the enquiries I've made to dealers and private sellers, not one has know the current weight of the vehicles.
Is this usual? Are people just generally driving around loaded up regardless of the weight?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
It's quite interesting that from all the enquiries I've made to dealers and private sellers, not one has know the current weight of the vehicles.
Is this usual? Are people just generally driving around loaded up regardless of the weight?
“Is this usual?” Sadly yes.

The dealers are probably deliberately ignoring an issue that would put customers off and many owners probably buy without giving it a second thought. When buying cars I never thought about payload and it didn’t occur to me that it was an issue when I bought my first motorhome. When I bought my current motorhome it was a top consideration.

Upvote 0

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
If it was me, I would have the vehicle inspected before making the purchase. But I would recommend that for any second hand vehicle you fall in love with. Better loose £500 (or however much) on a report than buy a duff van.

Upvote 0

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp

I suspect so. Payload is very individual, we all carry different stuff. We go to the local weighbridge and we are fairly close to our limit of 3850kg. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of vehicles being overloaded, cars, vans and motorhomes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smunkey74

Smunkey74

Free Member
Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Searching
Well we're off to the "local" dealership to just get a look and feel for different layouts. The only thing they have which comes close to our budget is a 2008 Chausson Flash 03.
It'll be good to start getting an idea of what we really need.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smunkey74

Smunkey74

Free Member
Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Searching
So that was definitely worth it. The dealership didn't have much on the forecourt and only the Flash 03 came close to our budget. Surprisingly however, it did appear to tick all the boxes for us. Most importantly, the boys really liked it and got very excited.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of the Flash?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Is that 5% over weight set in law , or just folk lore
It is a bit more than folklore and is contained in Government Guidance for roadside checks. It applies to the application of fixed penalty notices. However it does not appear to be a legal allowance so it probably means the Courts are not bound by it. I certainly wouldn’t rely on being allowed 5% in a serious matter such as a prosecution following a death.

43868B73-1362-4F32-A1C1-FA9F89E693A8.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back