Is this going to be a Classic Motorbike (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Certainly looks like it will be a hit with over 60s looks as though it will be great fun.

Liquid-cooled fuel-injected 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve, inline triple” engine,

2018_Yamaha_Niken_001.jpg

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/.../yamaha-2018-mwt-9-niken-trike-three-wheeler/

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The downside to me is that apart from the extra cost of the third tyre is the fact that there is now a bigger chance of a puncture and therefore increasing the chance of being stuck at the roadside

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
It will be a classic in the same vein as the hub steered GTS or BMW K1, especially if it has a short production run. Love to have a go on one, not sure I would buy one.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
For someone who has never ever had a motorbike and therefore passed no motorbike tests the three wheel concept is attractive as it means that bike tests can be ignored as the main driving licence will be OK for these. Clearly a bike is also more attractive than a scooter three wheeler.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
I think it looks brilliant. Presumably two front wheels means double the grip and near-enough double the braking, and it will be more stable.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not double the grip, because the same weight is spilt across the two front tyre contact points. A proportion more no doubt, but way less than double.
In fact - no more at all. Modern bike brakes / tyres are more than capable of lifting the rear. Once that occurs you have achieved the maximum possible front wheel braking.

I believe the only point of these particular trikes (and their scooter close relatives) is to circumvent the driving license rules.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For someone who has never ever had a motorbike and therefore passed no motorbike tests the three wheel concept is attractive as it means that bike tests can be ignored as the main driving licence will be OK for these. Clearly a bike is also more attractive than a scooter three wheeler.
That will be the market it is aimed for.

There are even four-wheeled versions. I saw one in Italy recently, too far away to see who made it, but it was something like this.

Quadro4-four-wheeled-scoote.jpg

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That will be the market it is aimed for.

There are even four-wheeled versions. I saw one in Italy recently, too far away to see who made it, but it was something like this.

View attachment 194201

That looks better to me.

I would ride one of those but not the 3 wheel version.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Remember the Sinclair C5?
My endearing memory of a C5 was dealing with an incident at the top of Highgate Hill when I was in Traffic and wondering where all of the traffic had gone. After a few minutes I saw an HGV appear very slowly in front of me, it took a few seconds for the C5 that was in front of it to appear with the bloke on board looking behind him, sweating and peddling like f###.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Ok confession time I crashed a sinclair C5 years ago:doh: They had one at Pixieland Kilkhampton, with no motor in it & a tarmacked track you could ride it around, just using the pedals, we went there with my nephew & his kids & I found you could drift it through a couple of the corners, but ran out of talent, drifted off track rolled & went through a overlap fence panel, The owner came rushing over, I thought I was in the sh1t but he was more concerned that I was injured, so got away with it, My upper leg & thigh was all badly grazed but there was no way I could admit that, it was a bloody C5 for goodness sake.:rofl:

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Had a go on eldest brothers Can-Am spyder strange ride .but he's knocking on 80 and likes it .like a fast zimmer frame :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back