Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Is it me or does anyone else experience fun and games with their Garmin Camper Sat Nav I set profile a little larger than my Motorhome to avoid trouble and it still takes me on shortcuts along narrow streets etc. Latest it tried to take me through centre of Rothenburg ob der Trauber through walled gates that I could not fit through?? it ignores my profile and does its own thing. Total waste of money could get same with basic Sat Nav. Keeps taking me on shortest routes to save 1 min feeling annoyed??

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Is it me or does anyone else experience fun and games with their Garmin Camper Sat Nav I set profile a little larger than my Motorhome to avoid trouble and it still takes me on shortcuts along narrow streets etc. Latest it tried to take me through centre of Rothenburg ob der Trauber through walled gates that I could not fit through?? it ignores my profile and does its own thing. Total waste of money could get same with basic Sat Nav. Keeps taking me on shortest routes to save 1 min feeling annoyed??
I've seen some others complain about similar issues but never experienced (touching wood) these myself. Maybe it's because I pre-plan using Garmin BaseCamp on pc before transferring to the sat nav but ....... There are more "filter options" in there to tweak.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I read on the Garmin website that only some of the major roads were covered.

We've used a standard (car) Garmin for years now, with few issues. We always take care not to drive down streets which look narrow

Instead we stop, zoom out of the map and pick an alternate route

Works a treat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Tbf, my Garmin Camper hasn't given me a problem. However, a lot of the maps aren't Garmin but OS and equivalent in European countries and its their information that maps go by. I use my Camper for my car, Moho and my truck and it adheres to the profile.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Got the same problem with my Garmin camper, I have tried all the profiles and routes, Fastest, most fuel efficient, increased the sizes. Now I just use common sense. Luckily I got it cheap from Lidl or it would be in the bin.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My basic one does it at times too. Take you off a main road, through narrow lanes then back onto the same main road. It is set to quickest route, not shortest, but it has some curious ideas of what is quickest. It doesn't happen often but I've learned to recognise these excursions into the shrubbery and will ignore the device at that point. However, if you do follow it then you will visit places you wouldn't otherwise. :) I've now fitted a compass on the dashboard and will follow that sometimes instead. :)

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got the same problem with my Garmin camper, I have tried all the profiles and routes, Fastest, most fuel efficient, increased the sizes. Now I just use common sense. Luckily I got it cheap from Lidl or it would be in the bin.
Obviously, your default profile will be "most fuel efficient"!:whistle::p:giggle:
Now where did I leave that lang spoon?;)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Covered many thousands of miles both here and on the continent with our Garmin Camper and really haven't had many problems. If anything it tends to be over cautious at times and takes the long way round.
None of them are perfect though so if in doubt check the route on the map before setting off.

Richard.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Just done the best part of 7000 kilomètres since 28 April and Doris my Garmin 660 or 760 MTL can't remember which has been as good as gold. The only problem I have had has been me when I have decided to ignore her recommendations.

I always check the route I "plan" to take on my Michelin atlas and departmental maps before I go. There have been interesting moments but they have always been because of me.

No, I am happy with the product and it seems to do what is says on the box. I rounded up my dimensions and looking at my charts I can see the height and weight restrictions on my possible "diversions". I have found the warnings useful. Yes I am sure there is the occasional glitch - speed limits for instance - where the actual is less than that reported but the thing to remember is "it is an aid to navigation, not a replacement for navigation" always do a gross error check

Clive

(I know this won't win me any friends, one of the advantages of getting old)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Obviously, your default profile will be "most fuel efficient"!:whistle::p:giggle:
Now where did I leave that lang spoon?;)
upload_2017-8-12_19-5-21.jpeg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have mine set to fastest route and no tolls, I'm never in a hurry and it takes me to places that I would never see if going down some motorway or main routes. It has occasionally taken us on a challenge or mystery tour as we call them but usually get through ok. Common sense over rules everything though...:D2

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And they were in offer in Aldi.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
As has already been said a large number of roads don't have the required data for them. I hate to think how long it is going to take to calculate some routes when all the data is available. Not only will it have to work out how to get you there but it is also going to have to take into consideration all the widths and if you can fit down the road. I remember someone on the C&MC site complaining about his new Caravan Club Sat nav as he had arrived at the site only to find out it was impossible to get in that way and he had to travel another mile to turn round. Not a happy bunny. Users expect such a lot from what is only a box full of bits. The only sure thing about a Sat Nav is it knows where you are and where you are going as to the bit in the middle you should be Ok in a CAR ..

The manufacturers are far from truthful about what you can expect. If they told you the new one was as bad as the old one you would never want to update it. Instead they come up with fancy ones that need the internet all the while which track traffic flow and then try to send you down short cuts and across fields.

One day sometime way into the future they will have one that works BUT in the mean time just watch out where you go.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My Garmin camper 760 is alright, but you must remember it is only an aid. I don't trust it, and wouldn't follow it regardless, or for long distances. I use good maps, to get from here to there, and the Garmin to find things in that area. I loaded mine with dimensions slightly larger than the RV, and it wanted to take us off the main road, around the back of the small shops, and back onto the main road again!!! This was in Spain!
My missus is always saying, 'I don't know why you bought that thing, you never listen to her'!..........at least I think that's what she said, I wasn't listening to her either......................:laughing:

Craig

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I remember a truck driver who got a ticket going over a 3.5 ton bridge because his sat nav sent him that way. But then came back the same way and got ticket again and a trip to the court. LOL

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I learned (from here I think) that the weight needs to be put into the sat nav as more than 3.5 tonnes. Otherwise the sat nav thinks it is in a car. Since I have done this mine has not tried to take us on any more mystery trips.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I learned (from here I think) that the weight needs to be put into the sat nav as more than 3.5 tonnes. Otherwise the sat nav thinks it is in a car. Since I have done this mine has not tried to take us on any more mystery trips.
Yip, but watch you don't overegg the weight though.
Was driving in The Trossachs and the blo*** thing kept telling me to slow down as I was speeding at >40mph despite the signs saying 50mph. When we got to where we were going checked the sat nav and the weight was 7500kg when I thought I'd put in 4500kg (obvious typo).:doh: The limit for 7500kg was 40mph!

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We got the Garmin 660 with the new van. It also acts as the monitor for our reversing camera.

I've always had TomTom before and I've got to say I'm not fully comfortable with the Garmin as yet. The van dimensions entered but it took me on a very strange, long and narrow route from the motorway to Eddie VanBitz. Maybe I need to overstate the dimensions and change some of the settings.

I've put the Garmin in the car for now so I can get used to its peculiarities.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

Your post saved me writing the same...The gadget just seems completely random regardless of trying all the profiles etc . Some of the routes it puts together are downright weird.

Have found a quirky thing about it . I "think" what happens is that it automatically defaults to the (think its called) green route / eco route option . Then proceeding through country lanes , villages etc not particularly suited to the vehicle settings. Workaround being , to press the route button and let it find the purple/blue/green routes , then choose the purple route which seems to give the most common sense option .....As for updating the thing on line from the garmin site. jeez what a palaver , it takes for ever and freezes etc ....loads of complaints on web forums etc about that.

We are now considering a single din, flip out radio /cd/ gps to replace the garmin.......anybody got any suggestions for a mid range/ebay /amazon whatever unit ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Road Map and a compass dose help
My garmin sat nave is sumware on a forest track
Btween Dumfries and neton Stewart
Bill

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I've got a Garmin 760 and never really had a problem with it over the last 40k miles even took it to USA 3times for the hire car. I always let it calculate usually 2 routes them have a quick check over them and away we go

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your post saved me writing the same...The gadget just seems completely random regardless of trying all the profiles etc . Some of the routes it puts together are downright weird.

Have found a quirky thing about it . I "think" what happens is that it automatically defaults to the (think its called) green route / eco route option . Then proceeding through country lanes , villages etc not particularly suited to the vehicle settings. Workaround being , to press the route button and let it find the purple/blue/green routes , then choose the purple route which seems to give the most common sense option .....As for updating the thing on line from the garmin site. jeez what a palaver , it takes for ever and freezes etc ....loads of complaints on web forums etc about that.

We are now considering a single din, flip out radio /cd/ gps to replace the garmin.......anybody got any suggestions for a mid range/ebay /amazon whatever unit ?

Our 760 brings up 3 options (from memory blue, red and green) with a default of blue which is the "fastest" option. This happens with both motorhome and car profiles. It also calculates different routings for these (where appropriate) between two points (or multiple waypoints).
The only time I've had a serious issue with the routing was when in the motorhome I, inadvertently, left it set as car profile!:eek:
Downside of an integrated unit is that updates are, generally, annual and expensive whereas the 760 is lifetime map updates included so better check this when selecting your option.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Tom Tomtom took me through every residential street in North London. I was forced into London because of huge delays at Dartford. Went straight in and through the Blackwall tunnel out and onwards until it told me to come off at Bow?? I should have stayed on the main road onto the A11 onto the M11 and up to the A1. BUT coming off led me all over strange places up little streets around and about then out at Tottenham past the new stadium to the M25 where I went left to the A1. Two hours of Pi**ing about Why?? Because I had accidentaly put down SHORTEST not quickest.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp

make absolutely sure the routing is done to a MH profile and not a car profile:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back