LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
On a site now that we have paid a bit extra to get 16amps as we need the stand alone heater, the van heater, the micro wave, the electric kettle and electric hob for cooking. The trip in the box is accessible should it trip :giggle: (y)
Crikey.

Wondering that's a wind up?

Unless my back of fag packet maths is very wrong, where you to use that lot together then you would be overloading the hook up cable significantly.
Stand alone heater minimum 1kW max 3kW
van heater 1-3kW
micro wave 1-3KW (exc significant start inrush.)
electric kettle 2- 3
electric hob 1 - 5
So a minimum of 6 KW or about 24A
and maximum of 17 KW or about 68A.

I don't know what size incomer trip you have in the van but astounded that doesn't drop. The ceeform connector is specced at 16A but will take a significant overload before melting. However the cable itself would be getting very warm.

I used 63A Ceeform from time to time and they have a really chunky connector and thick cables.

Shakes head.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Crikey.

Wondering that's a wind up?

Unless my back of fag packet maths is very wrong, where you to use that lot together then you would be overloading the hook up cable significantly.
Stand alone heater minimum 1kW max 3kW
van heater 1-3kW
micro wave 1-3KW (exc significant start inrush.)
electric kettle 2- 3
electric hob 1 - 5
So a minimum of 6 KW or about 24A
and maximum of 17 KW or about 68A.

I don't know what size incomer trip you have in the van but astounded that doesn't drop. The ceeform connector is specced at 16A but will take a significant overload before melting. However the cable itself would be getting very warm.

I used 63A Ceeform from time to time and they have a really chunky connector and thick cables.

Shakes head.
Yes it was. Although we do like plenty of amps. I am conscious of the power needed to run given items and try to ensure only needed items are on at the same time. Usually no more than 2.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Martatin
Jul 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado Low Profile
Exp
Since 2016 caravan previously
Thanks for all the advice. Think we should be ok with prudent use. Got low wattage kettle. Cook on gas. Tend to use mainly site facilities for showers hairdryer etc.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
6 amps is plenty of current - especially in summer - provided you manage your electrical appliances accordingly. ;) (y)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Do what Fragle says. Know the wattage of all your devices and make sure you don't exceed 1300 watts.
Most sites have accessible MCB's now, so if you are unlucky you will probably be able to reset the breaker.

Regards,
As wisely stated here. Check if you can reset the breakers at the post before you go experimenting with how many things you can use before it blows. If you can not reset it, tread carefully.
Safe and happy travels.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Simple maths, according to Ohm’s Law below
voltage (220v for Europe 240v for UK) x current (6amps) = resistance 1320 to 1440 watts
SIMPLES!
1709625244066.jpeg

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
voltage (220v for Europe 240v for UK) x current (6amps) = resistance 1320 to 1440 watts
SIMPLES!
View attachment 871433
Except that the whole of Europe including the UK has been a nominal 230V for over 20 years.

Ohm's law was introduced into this thread in the first few posts. May not have been by name, but it adds nothing.

Also the concepts of potential, current flow and resistive or inductive loads (where Ohms Law does not work!) is anything but "simples" to a lot of people as you so unkindly put it. The OP is far from stupid by recognising that it's an area of knowledge that they lack. Actually being very intelligent to ask the question. Funsters here have attempted to assist.

Ohm's law even at it simplest form immediately puts people off. It's like using an acronym that you understand but no-one else does. You introduce it several weeks after the OP asked the question, has had helpful and useful advice including the calculation, and then you shout at them that its SIMPLE. How kind is that?

Please be nice.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
SIMPLES!
View attachment 871433
Sorry. Have just realised what you actually wrote rather than what I thought. You are saying in effect that resistance is the same as power when it is not. Resistance is measured in Ohms as shown correctly in the diagram, and not in Watts as your text incorrectly shows!

Watts = Volts x Amps where the current is DC. Gents more complex if AC when the load is inductive, and frequency in Hertz must be accounted for. However, declared wattage on an appliance should be correct for the item running, making the calculation or current drawn, near enough at 50Hz.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back