IOM Manx GP / Classic TT

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stealaway, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,328
    We had a brilliant time in Ramsey. The weather was great and we only had to use the van on one rainy Saturday. It should be called the Isle of Van, there seems to be no restriction on wild camping any where. Although we did spend a whole £16 for the fortnight stop over in Mooragh Park it really wasn't necessary.
    The racing was awesome and the new bike went good, even with us two fatty's on it.

• Like it Like it x 7
  2. Manxcat

Manxcat Funster

Ratings:
    +274
    Glad you enjoyed it. There are restrictions on Vans, and more seem to be creeping in. Langness was a great place to spend the night until about a year ago. Now concrete posts have been put in to stop vans from getting in.

If you read the signs on the Sulby reservoir it say no overnight parking, you can safely ignore that though as it is no policed.

• Like it Like it x 2
  3. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Glad you had a good time :)

The IOM is on my to do list,I have done most things but never the Rest!:(

And I think I would do the Manx gp rather than the TT as would be less manic !

Must get it sorted!(y)

• Like it Like it x 3
  4. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,328
    You must be getting old!
    The Manx is better and for the real motor cycle enthusiasts - don't leave it to long, it not even expensive.

Photos - bit overcast but warm and it always brightened up.

DSC01598.JPG DSC01597.JPG DSC01602.JPG

• Like it Like it x 3
  5. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Ratings:
    +21,646
    So pleased you enjoyed it, I live in Ramsey and walked to the Mooragh park many times with the grandchildren. It's a nice place to be. I must have walked past you to my friends Damon Daybreak just a bit further along the park, it can be seen in your photo. The Classic TT is fast becoming a great event in it's own right. And as you say, the weather was good, which made it even better. I should have scrounged a coffee from you. Next time eh?

Craig

6. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,328
    What a shame , I'm sure we could have had a good chat - next year hey?

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,263

Yes I must be!:(

Would love to do the TT but from what I hear its to busy in every way,and
    the Manx gp is less so!:)

And the pubs would be easier to get a drink at the Manx!(y)

• Like it Like it x 3
  8. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,332
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread ... but having been to the TT by bike in the past (2013 last time) I was wondering what this one is like for MHs?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the ferry cost for an <6m PVC with one or maybe three occupants? Also is there anywhere near the paddock/Douglas that can be booked and would take both the van and a tent?

Thanks (y)

9. Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul. Funster

Ratings:
    +23
    I am also interested in some more details of the Manx / Classic TT, I did look into the costs of the main TT last year but it was stupidly expensive, there must be a cheaper option or discounts for a camper.

10. Manxcat

Manxcat Funster

Ratings:
    +274
    I have lived on IOM since 1966. I can assure you there are no discounts or concessions during TT. The costs during MPG will be less but still rather high.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like it Like it x 1
  11. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,332
    I'm finding the Steampacket website very frustrating. I can only see price bands but no prices :( Can you give me a rough idea of the price eg rider and bike £250 return, Van +1 £350, Van +3 £400. I won't hold you to them ;)

12. 100brian

100brian Funster

Ratings:
    +63
    Just fill in the into they ask for and press book. prices will come up then
    Just remembered you can only book up to January next year at moment new prices out next month

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +5,078
    Go on the steam racket web site they list all the prices.
    Make sure your sat down as it might come as a bit of a shock o_O

14. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,332
    Looks like you can't do that until next month - too far in advance. The prices that I was able to get were all lower than my guesses, but not during Manx week ;)

15. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,328
    They don't tend to take bookings for the TT or Classic TT/ Manx until the new year. You must enter it as a MoHo or it will be classed as commercial. You'll probably find that staying 2 weeks and 1day will make it much cheaper. I'm in Germany at the moment but I'll be happy to give you chapter and verse after the 12 October. Message me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. 100brian

100brian Funster

Ratings:
    +63
    Another thing to note is if you are over 6.5m you will have to ring them for a price. They usually charge 6.5m price plus £20 every meter over this.

17. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,853
    I paid £250 for myself and the bike return this year(had a great time by the way), my mate took his 3.5 t LWB van over with 3 people and 3 bikes for around £330!!
    The IOM Steam Racket CO is aptly named, and don't even ask about the slippery deck on the Sea Cat in the rain on the way home on the Sunday!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +5,078
    Its fantastic over on the island and a real spectacle, I just feel like you're having your pants pulled down over the fares thats all.

Maybe a bit of competition might help :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,328
    Even the Manx people are getting ripped off, but the Steam Packet contract is due for revue. So it could get better. Although it might seem expensive for the ferry but the entertainment is free!!

• Like it Like it x 2
  20. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Ratings:
    +21,646
    It is a rip off, no question. However, and this is an extreme case, I had a nice guy come and watch the Classic TT where I was marshalling, and we got talking. He had come over for the TT and the Classic TT, and had stayed for four months in his MoHo, and his ferry was £350 return. He had bought his pass for the park in Ramsey (£16 for the season) and had wild camped everywhere else. He and his wife had a ball, and enjoyed every minute. So, a relatively cheap 4 months holiday, with three motorcycling spectacles thrown in, (if you count the Southern 100).
    I am looking to get away for a week to Centre parcs during half term in October, and me and the missus and a Honda Jazz is £350 return for 11 days! If I go the day before the schools break up, it would be £214, but I have a hospital appointment that day so I am snookered. :banghead:

Craig

• Like it Like it x 1