Inverter (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Hi all, can anyone help please? I need to get a new inverter and am not sure what power I need to run small appliances, ie toaster, iron, hairdryer, small vacuum. (Not all at same time!) can anyone advise best place to get one and what size I would need. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
some of those appliances are pretty power hungry....and...you need a good leisure battery or two...you can get inverters of any size....if you live near a Chandlers they usually have a good selection of inverters. Look on the net too there's loads of information to be had especially if you read reviews. Using a large inverter to run a small appliance is a tad :) inefficient

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi all, can anyone help please? I need to get a new inverter and am not sure what power I need to run small appliances, ie toaster, iron, hairdryer, small vacuum. (Not all at same time!) can anyone advise best place to get one and what size I would need. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Toaster and iron, forget it, you will murder your batteries in no time! Hair dryer should be OK, you'll want a fairly decent size, so 1800kva or higher.

Just did a quick search for irons, they seem to be in the region of 2800w. Put that in perspective, on 12v you are going to need 233 amps to power that! Toaster, you have a gas grill, much more efficient.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
IMG_0608.JPG
For further info, this is our battery monitor when running the coffee machine (1400w) to make a cappuccino whilst using the inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If you don't have a large battery bank, little point in shelling out on a large wattage inverter. The old adage applies 'you only get out what you put in'.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you don't have a large battery bank, little point in shelling out on a large wattage inverter. The old adage applies 'you only get out what you put in'.

Which is why I asked. This should be your first enquiry.
Using batteries to power any 240v appliance with an heating element is asking for trouble - IMHO(y)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
On a single 110 ah battery you have 55 amp to play with so not a good idea sorry.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
View attachment 147150 For further info, this is our battery monitor when running the coffee machine (1400w) to make a cappuccino whilst using the inverter.
Was That Static, or with the Engine Running?. 108A@12.2V makes a power drain of 1317.6W. which would include all the little "Phantom" drains Either very efficient, or the Meter is in error?. BTW, I am assuming the 140OW (5.7A @ 245V) is MAX RATED power and not the actual power drain of course, as most items actually work below rated.

As experience, I ran a 2KW Ring Inverter, in the R-V. This powered a Microwave, OR a 2KW toaster. BUT I had a bank of 4x110 Batteries under the front hood!. and 300W of Solar on the Roof!.:) Oh!. and the Power drill for making the ever necessary repairs to the Old Girl.:rolleyes:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Was That Static, or with the Engine Running?. 108A@12.2V makes a power drain of 1317.6W. which would include all the little "Phantom" drains Either very efficient, or the Meter is in error?. BTW, I am assuming the 140OW (5.7A @ 245V) is MAX RATED power and not the actual power drain of course, as most items actually work below rated.
No, that was towards the end of the heating cycle, it goes up to around 168a initially, but then drops back when the element shuts down. There was also sun on the panel, so a little bit of solar assistance has to be taken into the mix! :D

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003

As all said above really.

A 2000watt inverter is nice sized unit to run most sensible appliances. The cost between a 1000watt and 2000watt inverter really in the grand scheme of things is nothing. You may need to upgrade some of your cabling but again nothing costly. When installing larger 2KW inverters you can then tie it into your main priority circuit rather than one dedicated socket meaning at a press of one button every socket within the motorhome will become live.

Going back to your suggested appliances obviously you will need to look at the required demand the device will need and it may mean you have to get rid of the 4 piece toaster for a 2 piece as an example.. modified inverters will be fine for your toasters, kettles but you will need to consider Pure Sine wave inverters if you intend to run that coffee machine you may have possibly?

Again as above you need a bigger battery bank. To be honest the small cost involved to add an additional second leisure battery if you have the space or payload then it is a must..

Remember you can have the best van with all the toys but without the the power bank you just cant use it!!

OP
OP
Tricky Dicky
Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Thanks for the info this is what I am looking at. We only have a small toaster, iron is 1150 watts, hairdryer is 1200 watts. Old inverter gave up the ghost after three years, we have a solar panel, have had no trouble up til now. Do you think this one will be ok?
image.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back