LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK I will bite ;) for starters I wouldn't go cheap, pure sine for sure(y) Howard B how do you want to use the inverter occasional power source with one socket or integrated into the van's 240v system feeding all sockets,do you want/need a remote start/stop for the inverter operation ? ah OK I see that is an option with the "sunshinesolar".

The first one you link to is basically a stand alone inverter so you connect to your battery (better cables may be required) and then you have available one or two power sockets on the device which could be extended into the van or even wired into the habitation power circuit but that would require more work and a changeover/priority relay.

The second unit the Renogy has the ability to take the incoming mains power and then distribute via the inverter adding backup from the DC battery via the inverter in the event of mains failure, this seems like an easier way to get all the sockets in the van live on the inverter, but you would need to size the inverter to match the largest load that you would run from the sockets on hook up.

Don't know if any of this makes sense and it is not a recommendation for either but it show how complicated a simple inverter question can get, over to you as to how you see the inverter working for you.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Well, I bought this one back in May. I have used it for powering toaster, hair dryer, hair tongs, recharging laptop. It's worked well on 4 trips over the last few months. I just have it connected directly to the battery and then plug items directly into it when needed. It is fairly accessible under one of our bench seats. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of wiring it into the vans 240v system and sockets.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Well, I bought this one back in May. I have used it for powering toaster, hair dryer, hair tongs, recharging laptop. It's worked well on 4 trips over the last few months. I just have it connected directly to the battery and then plug items directly into it when needed. It is fairly accessible under one of our bench seats. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of wiring it into the vans 240v system and sockets.

I quite like the Edecoa Inverters. I had one in my camper to run the 2kW induction hob for a while but it did fail for no apaprent reason. Fortunately for me, it failed just within the warranty period and because I bought it from Amazon, I just a full refund as soon as they had proof of being posted back to them.
I decided to combine that use with the 2nd small Victron inverter I had for the fridge and got a 2400W (in the form of a Multiplus 12/3000) instead. A lot more money but, IMO, a lot better quality then even the mid-range Edecoas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
An inverter takes a noticeable amount of power even when nothing is connected to it, which adds up over 24 hours. You will need to switch it off when you are not actually using it.

The switch may be easily accessible depending on where you mount the inverter. But often the inverter is mounted in a locker, garage or cupboard where it is easy to inadvertently leave it switched on. In that case you may want an inverter with a remote switch that can be mounted in a visible location. Some have a remote switch capability, some haven't.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
OK I will bite ;) for starters I wouldn't go cheap, pure sine for sure(y)
Agree :)
Howard B how do you want to use the inverter occasional power source with one socket or integrated into the van's 240v system feeding all sockets,do you want/need a remote start/stop for the inverter operation ? ah OK I see that is an option with the "sunshinesolar".
Remote control is very useful :)
The first one you link to is basically a stand alone inverter so you connect to your battery (better cables may be required) and then you have available one or two power sockets on the device which could be extended into the van or even wired into the habitation power circuit but that would require more work and a changeover/priority relay.

The second unit the Renogy has the ability to take the incoming mains power and then distribute via the inverter adding backup from the DC battery via the inverter in the event of mains failure, this seems like an easier way to get all the sockets in the van live on the inverter, but you would need to size the inverter to match the largest load that you would run from the sockets on hook up.
The built-in transfer switch on the renogy can be very handy.
I wouldn't see it is a way to have distributed sockets personally, but more of a way to use a specific device off-grid with no hookup but on EHU when you have it without faffing around moving plugs. Maybe for something like a Microwave say?

The best solution for an "all sockets live off-grid" is probably a Victron Multiplus where you have both an integrated Transfer Switch AND Power Assist features where the Inverter makes up the difference between the load in the van and the power from the EHU if you have limited EHU capability. Why this is better than a simple Inverter with Transfer Switch is you have a powerful charger built in the same box so the whole affair is nicely integrated and for a given Multiplus, the cost of a PSW Inverter of that size, plus the cost of the Charger of that capacity, PLUS the extra features such as the Transfer Switch, connectivity, etc. it actually becomes a real value for money product over the basic gear.
(just to add more complications and options into the question :D but worthwhile considering all the possibilities :) )
Don't know if any of this makes sense and it is not a recommendation for either but it show how complicated a simple inverter question can get, over to you as to how you see the inverter working for you.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
An inverter takes a noticeable amount of power even when nothing is connected to it, which adds up over 24 hours. You will need to switch it off when you are not actually using it.

The switch may be easily accessible depending on where you mount the inverter. But often the inverter is mounted in a locker, garage or cupboard where it is easy to inadvertently leave it switched on. In that case you may want an inverter with a remote switch that can be mounted in a visible location. Some have a remote switch capability, some haven't.
It does vary by inverter and what features you have enabled. My inverter (within the Victron Multiplus) is always powered, but I have the AES (Automatic Energy Saving - not the AES used by fridges) so when there is no demand it is an a standby mode and wakes up automatically (typically every two hours when the fridge wants to run).
In that AES mode it draws 2W, so same as a light say? so around 50Wh used in an 24Hr day?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The best solution for an "all sockets live off-grid" is probably a Victron Multiplus where you have both an integrated Transfer Switch AND Power Assist features where the Inverter makes up the difference between the load in the van and the power from the EHU if you have limited EHU capability. Why this is better than a simple Inverter with Transfer Switch is you have a powerful charger built in the same box so the whole affair is nicely integrated and for a given Multiplus, the cost of a PSW Inverter of that size, plus the cost of the Charger of that capacity, PLUS the extra features such as the Transfer Switch, connectivity, etc. it actually becomes a real value for money product over the basic gear.
(just to add more complications and options into the question :D but worthwhile considering all the possibilities :)
I agree with your best solution as we have the Buttner ICC 3000 inverter/charger/mains backup :giggle: but I thought that suggestion might stray a little too far from the original question, the Ronogy transfer switch does seem like a pretty good/cheaper "halfway house".

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Thanks for the responses. I will use for powering a travel kettle, charging e bikes & maybe a small George Foreman grill. Not worried about backing up the van 240v electrics. Will be fixing behind the driver seat so no need fir a remote switch.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The renogy comes with a seperate switch that can be mounted wherever the cable reaches too.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I use a Giandel 2kw PSW inverter recommended by a my full time van friend who researches everything. So far it’s performed very well and now in our 2nd motorhome,

I think it was £229 at the time but probably a little more now

Comes with a ethernet cabled remote with led and a “beep” so you know it’s on/off.

It copes with everything i’ve used up to now but you do need a dam good solar/battery setup

Amazon product ASIN B07G2VL2WP
i’ve 450w solar and it’s dull and overcast here atm and i’m getting 4.5ah atm which isn’t a lot but better than nothing, the batteries are at 60% but i’m hopeful they’ll be at 100%, certainly 90% before it goes dusk

C8375389-8469-4410-910E-359F98AD3241.jpeg
2FA675ED-0812-43FF-8374-6ACDEEC17FB3.png

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Thanks for the responses. I will use for powering a travel kettle, charging e bikes & maybe a small George Foreman grill. Not worried about backing up the van 240v electrics. Will be fixing behind the driver seat so no need fir a remote switch.
For your needs, something like the Victron Multiplus would indeed be overkill.
Whilst I like the built-in Transfer Switch on the renogy, I doubt if it would be of benefit in your setup either, but could be a handy future-proof feature to have?
As Autorouter and others have said, switching off when not needed is a very good thing to do (not just for power saving but longer service life of the Inverter), so easy access to the switch as you should have will do the trick :)

Don't skimp on the DC cables between Battery and Inverter. And make sure there is a fuse on the cable close to the battery end to protect the cables against damage (the fuse on the inverter protects the inverter, not the cables).

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I would endorse sunshine solar. Fitted a 2kw inverter good product and value for money.

Feb 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Renault traffic
Hi Howard,
Bought this last year from UK Amazon. Very good quality, very reasonable, used it for a multitude of appliances never an issue. Has nice tide little remote user interface. Have it connected up to the leisure battery, Comes with in-line fuse, has two European three pin plugs on the front and a little digital output display showing the voltage of the battery , really good quality cabling very happy with the product. German brand 😬 really pleased with it. The picture below is just from the American Amazon site just used this as an example. Hope this helps.
1668332560765.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Howard,
Bought this last year from UK Amazon. Very good quality, very reasonable, used it for a multitude of appliances never an issue. Has nice tide little remote user interface. Have it connected up to the leisure battery, Comes with in-line fuse, has two European three pin plugs on the front and a little digital output display showing the voltage of the battery , really good quality cabling very happy with the product. German brand 😬 really pleased with it. The picture below is just from the American Amazon site just used this as an example. Hope this helps.
View attachment 687479
So you are not actually using 110v ? what sort of appliances have you run from it's modified sine wave ? might sound German but they are American ;)

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
We have a 2000 w renogy Pure/S/W. Supplied by 2 x 100 Ah of lithium battery.
Works without any problems. I’ve attached a guide that renogy recommends for there inverter’s
And would assume that it would be the same to all inverters.

Attachments

• 3045EAC3-B2CD-4F3C-8F60-59A05D58AA3F.png
    3045EAC3-B2CD-4F3C-8F60-59A05D58AA3F.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
Feb 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Renault traffic
So you are not actually using 110v ? what sort of appliances have you run from it's modified sine wave ? might sound German but they are American ;)
My bad Funfair thought they were German. Still i found them to be a good product. 240v all the way. Used it for basics, laptop charging, nutribullit, fan heater, hoover, range of power tools jigsaw, small skillsaw, dewalt battery drill charging no issues.
Regards

Jan 30, 2016
glos
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
15yrs
Our first inverter started smoking when on but not being used so fitted a heavy cutout switch on the supply to the replacement
Now leave off unless being used to stop the slight drain on the battery

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
useful thread, thanks,

i am in the process of fitting an external switch to my inverter through a relay as recommended by Hoovie on a different thread, prob similar to how rrowe has their setup.

the inverter via amazon with a 'physical' remote switch seems to be a good solution, especially as the remote on/off has an built display. i much prefer that than going through a phone app ..... if i have issues with my inverter in the future or just fancy an upgrade, its one i would consider at that price point !

if i did change my inverter at some point, does the remote on the EDECOA just turn off the AC side and consume power in 'standby mode' or does it switch off completely with no power being 'drained' ?

edited to add - this one looks better as its pure sine wave, same make, different model!

Amazon product ASIN B01LZ8OMD9

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
BillyKontiki I see there is a small ground terminal on the Renogy 2000w inverter, did you use it or is it for a non-vehicle instalation? If needed I assume I just need to run a line to the vehicle chassis.

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
BillyKontiki I see there is a small ground terminal on the Renogy 2000w inverter, did you use it or is it for a non-vehicle instalation? If needed I assume I just need to run a line to the vehicle chassis.
Yes I used it, not sure if it was necessary I ran a 6 mm earth wire to the negative bus bar. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back