Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Which model Alfa (802?)is yours as I am interesed for using for notebook in Europe?
mine is a awus036h 802.11 b/g long-range usb adaptor.
i have also an edup version of the same thing . that works fine as well.
ideal if two laptops being used at same time . happens if i have visitors .
the edup was about 9 quid on ebay a few years ago.
paid about 18 quid for the alfa . again ebay.
both come with a disc to load etc and full instructions .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although the router is about 50 quid it does mean you can connect with any device, keeps the boss happy as she can use her crapple crapPad and I can use my phone if I can't be bothered to fire up the Quattro laptop.​

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Oh my... mobile internet connection... what a steamy, insect ridden, fetid jungle.

Each person's internet needs are different.

We fulltimers have each found our way to get the connections that suit us but these might be totally unsuited to another.

Vwalan's solution would not suit me at all. I want to be connected as close to 24 hours a day, at 4g speed, as possible.

I have a rollover contract with NOS, totally unlimited usage, for €30.99 per month.

I have stopped answering questions re connections that folk ask me when parked up. It does my head in!

It often went something like this...

"JJ, Strange Steve tells me you know all about getting the internet here. How do I do it?"

"What do you use the internet for?"

"I use it lots and lots..."

"How long are you going to be in Portugal for?"

"Not sure... maybe 6 to 8 weeks."

"Ok, for €1 a day for 15 days you can have 1 gig every day... all you do is buy a sim and put it in your mifi"

"What's a mifi?"

"A mobile router... "

"I have got a wifi antenna, can I use that instead?"

"Only near a wifi signal that you can connect to, but that doesn't need a sim card. Wifi uses a different system"

"There is no wifi signal here..."

"I know... that's why you would need your own mifi which uses the celluar network, like your mobile phone does"

"Where do I get a mifi thingy from?"

"The same phone shop where you get the sim card."

"How much is one?"

"Around €50 depending on the speed you want."

"Oh I don't want to spend that much... I only need it for the odd email and looking on Facebook".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

JJ :cool:

(PS. If I am in a really, really, really good mood, I might let him/her use my connection...)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Over the last few weeks there has been a lot of questions on here about SIM cards while travelling abroad.

I have been looking at these for use in my "dongle". I tried a "3" ( I think 2gb) while away for over two months, only to find that they can only be used up to two months, even if you have not used all your data. When you get back to the UK you can use any unused data.

I have just come across another "3" with
24gb that lasts for up to 24 months with no time limit while abroad. It can be used in the following countries:- UK/USA/EUROPE/ASIA.

PRICED AT £79.99 via E-bay

Any thoughts?

Colyboy
We took advice from "Our Tour" who recommended a Mifi unit, we bought one and I installed it on the roof and hooked it direct to the new solar panel and control unit that I'd fitted a few days previously (anyone with moderate diy skills could do this).
We purchased the cheapest 12gb sim cards that the web had on offer and the system has worked well since we left the UK on 4th April (now in Los Canos De Meca, Cadiz region Spain)...
Blue skies, 25 degrees,,, (y):)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you cosider France as abroad then do not dismiss Fon, it is fairly wide spread in many areas of France and we find that it works quite well with our I Boost. I agree you need to be close to a town or village and of course need to be a Fon member.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We are in France at the moment and I can recommend the SIM card that chaser has put a link to.

It's in our tablet and has been working perfectly well over here for about three weeks.

We use it for emails, Google maps, Facebook (I know, I know!) and going on different forums on a regular basis.

The card has had a heck of a lot of use and, so far, has used about 4.5 Gb of the 12 Gb that was originally on the card.

We have been on many different French providers and it's worked on them all.

Hope this helps.
We are just back form France and I was not to impressed with the 3 data card, while I was able to instantly connect to a network, proved by my VPN connection, downloading anything and even loading web pages took an age with the 12gb card in a MIFI

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are just back form France and I was not to impressed with the 3 data card, while I was able to instantly connect to a network, proved by my VPN connection, downloading anything and even loading web pages took an age with the 12gb card in a MIFI
Used the 3 data sim in my dongle in France & Belguim a few weeks ago faster than my 38mb broadband at home and it's only a 3G dongle, I've found with phones if you get a slow connection often sorted by manually swapping networks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
All I can say about the 3 SIM card is that it's worked perfectly well for us in the iPad in France.

Today I've only got 1 bar and poor reception, yesterday 10 miles away on another Aire we got 5 bars, but it's still giving me access to the internet as quick as my home broadband.

You can please some of the people some of the ..........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back