Intermittent electrical issues with 2014 Citroen Relay (X290) (1 Viewer)

fatchops1995

Free Member
Jan 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
2014 Citroen Relay
Hello, we’ve been having some intermittent issues with our van lately and I just wanted to post here first to see if anyone had any ideas.

It’s a self-converted camper, we’ve been travelling around in it for the past year without issues until the past couple of months where we’ve been in much colder and wetter conditions. Since then, we’ve had issues with…
  • Electric windows sometimes not working, or going up when we hit down and vice-versa.
  • Interior cab light - works when you open the door but sometimes doesn’t come on using the toggle switches.
  • Red/blue strip around the blower dial - sometimes doesn’t illuminate and needs a hit to get it to appear.
  • Drivers side headlamp stopped working but worked fine later on.
The other day we had the ‘DPF cleaning - keep the vehicle moving’ alert flash up, we're not sure if this is because we've been idling the engine to top up our leisure batteries (naughty, I know!) or just related to these other electrical issues because after driving around at high revs for about 30 minutes, the DPF light went off. But today, the DPF light has returned and hasn't gone off after about an 30 minutes of driving. When the light came on, simultaneously we also had a new electrical alert come up to add to the growing list. This time for 'Parking help unavailable', we have rear parking sensors so I assume it's related to that.

I've read the fault codes using AlfaOBD again today and here's what I'm getting at the moment:

Engine
  • P0423
  • P1490
Body computer
  • B1029
  • B1016
Previously I've had faults relating to an open circuit on the electric windows, but that's not there currently so must be intermittent.

It’s a 2014 Citroen Relay (X290). It’s done 145,000 miles. We bought it in 2022 and had the EGR cooler replaced as it was leaking coolant when we got it. Since then we’ve had a full service and another oil change this year.

I’ve checked the battery voltage and it’s healthy.

Any ideas? I’m thinking it’s all connected to a single issue with the earth perhaps?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yes your hunch may be correct, the earth straps are notorious for going bad. Remove and clean/replace. Add an extra one as well between the engine and gearbox. Also check the main starter battery earth terminal where it goes to the chassis/body earth point.
Mike.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
a quick search on P1490 peugeot
gives eloys and dpf errors (do you have eloys?)

P0423​
Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank l)​
from peugeot forum
"2019 peugeot boxer 2.0 blue hdi.
Temperature sensor fault, reads ----- on dash.
Fault code is B1029, short circuit to positive or open circuit.
I'm thinking a broken wire near the door hinges, where the wiring loom goes into the door.
Just wondered if you had any pointers as I'm pretty sure the dpf isn't going into regeneration because of this.

"
Does the boxer have temperature sensor in mirror like the Ducato, if so thats my guesette.

B1016 Peugeot Passenger Deployment Loop Resistance Low

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fatchops1995

Free Member
Jan 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
2014 Citroen Relay
Very interesting information, thanks. Never heard of eloys so I’ll look that up. We’ve had lots of issues with the electric windows which also might be wires in that same hinge so sounds promising.

The outside temperature sensor has been broken since we bought it and there’s been a fault code for that. Never had it sorted as just thought it was just a nice to have on the dashboard. Is it more important??

OP
OP
F

fatchops1995

Free Member
Jan 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
2014 Citroen Relay
Not sure it applies to the 2014 Citroen Relay X290 though so maybe just a coincidence? Guy who uploaded that video mentioned he thinks it only affects vans with AdBlue. Mine doesn’t have AdBlue. :/

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hello, we’ve been having some intermittent issues with our van lately and I just wanted to post here first to see if anyone had any ideas.

It’s a self-converted camper, we’ve been travelling around in it for the past year without issues until the past couple of months where we’ve been in much colder and wetter conditions. Since then, we’ve had issues with…
  • Electric windows sometimes not working, or going up when we hit down and vice-versa.
  • Interior cab light - works when you open the door but sometimes doesn’t come on using the toggle switches.
  • Red/blue strip around the blower dial - sometimes doesn’t illuminate and needs a hit to get it to appear.
  • Drivers side headlamp stopped working but worked fine later on.
The other day we had the ‘DPF cleaning - keep the vehicle moving’ alert flash up, we're not sure if this is because we've been idling the engine to top up our leisure batteries (naughty, I know!) or just related to these other electrical issues because after driving around at high revs for about 30 minutes, the DPF light went off. But today, the DPF light has returned and hasn't gone off after about an 30 minutes of driving. When the light came on, simultaneously we also had a new electrical alert come up to add to the growing list. This time for 'Parking help unavailable', we have rear parking sensors so I assume it's related to that.

I've read the fault codes using AlfaOBD again today and here's what I'm getting at the moment:

Engine
  • P0423
  • P1490
Body computer
  • B1029
  • B1016
Previously I've had faults relating to an open circuit on the electric windows, but that's not there currently so must be intermittent.

It’s a 2014 Citroen Relay (X290). It’s done 145,000 miles. We bought it in 2022 and had the EGR cooler replaced as it was leaking coolant when we got it. Since then we’ve had a full service and another oil change this year.

I’ve checked the battery voltage and it’s healthy.

Any ideas? I’m thinking it’s all connected to a single issue with the earth perhaps?

Did you fix the “parking help unavailable” ..? I’ve got this problem on my van…

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Did you fix the “parking help unavailable” ..? I’ve got this problem on my van…
Clean your front and rear sensors properly, mine does that in the snow, clean the sensors, and then front brake assist, and parking pilot resumes.

OP
OP
F

fatchops1995

Free Member
Jan 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
2014 Citroen Relay
Hey! Many of the issues have stopped now it’s getting warmer. But the parking help issue is something that keeps coming and going unfortunately.

Maybe the sensors are just dirty? Not at the top of my priority list at the moment but will be having a proper look at it soon.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure it applies to the 2014 Citroen Relay X290 though so maybe just a coincidence? Guy who uploaded that video mentioned he thinks it only affects vans with AdBlue. Mine doesn’t have AdBlue. :/
Never heard of a dpf without a add blue, it’s a first for me. But it should have at least a oxidiser or a catalyst converter (diesel version), in front of dpf. If the oxidiser does not work, the dpf gets clogged up. A dpf runs re generation burning the build up then the soot gets washed by the ad blue. If you do have a dpf as you mention, double check for ad blue.

OP
OP
F

fatchops1995

Free Member
Jan 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
2014 Citroen Relay
Assuming AdBlue filler would be by diesel cap
Never heard of a dpf without a add blue, it’s a first for me. But it should have at least a oxidiser or a catalyst converter (diesel version), in front of dpf. If the oxidiser does not work, the dpf gets clogged up. A dpf runs re generation burning the build up then the soot gets washed by the ad blue. If you do have a dpf as you mention, double check for ad blue.

Assuming AdBlue filler would be by fuel cap, so no? I hope not, as I’ve never topped it up! 😁

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Assuming AdBlue filler would be by diesel cap

Assuming AdBlue filler would be by fuel cap, so no? I hope not, as I’ve never topped it up! 😁
Then you don’t have a DPF, your issues are elsewhere. Oxidiser is firs stop.

OP
OP
F

fatchops1995

Free Member
Jan 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
2014 Citroen Relay
Then you don’t have a DPF, your issues are elsewhere. Oxidiser is firs stop.
The error we’ve had come up twice is ‘DPF Cleaning - Keep vehicle moving’, so I think we do have DPF.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back