Interesting '' Vanlife '' (2 Viewers)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Sadly it’s changed the toilet habits of a great many of them! I am absolutely appalled at the numbers that go in the bushes morning,noon,and night.
I have witnessed this constantly whilst on our current trip.
There are now so many Camper Vans staying on Aires etc that do not have full facilities as required to meet the criteria of being allowed to stay.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Theres probably thousands of Brits living in Van's across europe every aire I go on you meet some one living their incredible dream! Yet have really no facilities on board or even a proper conversion that's fine but I'm sick to death of these van lifers /bloggers traveling the globe and then asking me to buy them a coffee or buy a T shirt or there even charging to send a post card that's not even posted in the country. Sorry rant over! Cuppa tea from my proper MH kitchen.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Good on them. For some people it's not a choice and for others, especially since covid, the desire to regain some freedom and live a more simple life close to nature is understandable. Not everyone can afford a motorhome with full facilities and they shouldn't be looked down on for it.

Littering is inexcusable but I really don't think many people who live in their vans do this and on the toilet issue there is nothing wrong with going outside if done respectfully. Leave no trace.

I've seen a lot of rubbish since travelling in Portugal but it seems to me the vast majority is coming out of car windows or kids dumping takeaways, beer bottles.

In the crowded uk the rise of van life will be problematic if the local authorities refuse to adapt and bring in more public facilities for places people want to visit.

Our country is shameful when it comes to public toilets and waste disposal. All through my travels in Europe I've been amazed by the provision of bins, recycling points and toilet facilities.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Littering is inexcusable but I really don't think many people who live in their vans do this and on the toilet issue there is nothing wrong with going outside if done respectfully. Leave no trace.
I must disagree there, it DOES leave a trace ... the toilet paper and even if they clear that up the smell of urine, or worse, left behind is awful in some places ... you only have to go to some of the popular areas in Italy etc near the beach and the 'smell' hits you as you walk down the pathway to the beach.

If you can't take some sort of toilet facility with you when living or staying in a vehicle for a long time then that in my book is pure selfishness and ignorant, no-one has the right to 'pollute' anywhere with human waste except in very extreme circumstances, so those that do it as a matter of course are disgusting.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Good on them. For some people it's not a choice and for others, especially since covid, the desire to regain some freedom and live a more simple life close to nature is understandable. Not everyone can afford a motorhome with full facilities and they shouldn't be looked down on for it.

I've seen a lot of rubbish since travelling in Portugal but it seems to me the vast majority is coming out of car windows or kids dumping takeaways, beer bottles.

In the crowded uk the rise of van life will be problematic if the local authorities refuse to adapt and bring in more public facilities for places people want to visit.

Our country is shameful when it comes to public toilets and waste disposal. All through my travels in Europe I've been amazed by the provision of bins, recycling points and toilet facilities.
Most of Europe collect rubbish different to the UK they have communal bins and recycling rather than individual bins. As for toilets that's because the UK councils were forced to shut because of unsavoury characters and I guess budgets.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Most of Europe collect rubbish different to the UK they have communal bins and recycling rather than individual bins. As for toilets that's because the UK councils were forced to shut because of unsavoury characters and I guess budgets.
Budgets yes. I wonder how a relatively poor country like Portugal manages to provide services so well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
With careful usage one person could easily manage.
I have friends back home who are van dwellers and they have a gym membership so will shower there, use public loos and would probably buy drinking water so if you are only using it for washing up then i can see how it would last. It's amazing what people can do to survive and live cheaply when necessary.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Budgets yes. I wonder how a relatively poor country like Portugal manages to provide services so well.
Portugal at one time was the richest country in the world over the years mis management and of course their reaction to the 2008 crisis did not help. The country is like the UK is becoming to reliant on services industry .Many parts of portugal away from the tourist areas are just rubbish dumps just like Italy and Sicily.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Portugal at one time was the richest country in the world over the years mis management and of course their reaction to the 2008 crisis did not help. The country is like the UK is becoming to reliant on services industry .Many parts of portugal away from the tourist areas are just rubbish dumps just like Italy and Sicily.
Brazil belonged to Portugal but in the end became much richer..BUSBY.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I must disagree there, it DOES leave a trace ... the toilet paper and even if they clear that up the smell of urine, or worse, left behind is awful in some places ... you only have to go to some of the popular areas in Italy etc near the beach and the 'smell' hits you as you walk down the pathway to the beach.

If you can't take some sort of toilet facility with you when living or staying in a vehicle for a long time then that in my book is pure selfishness and ignorant, no-one has the right to 'pollute' anywhere with human waste except in very extreme circumstances, so those that do it as a matter of course are disgusting.
Italy stinks of pee in the cities too , but i suspect its mainly drunks at night and not vandwellers.
Same with the beaches etc ....its mostly day trippers in cars doing the deed ....they aren't all vandwellers

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
In my travels across Europe this summer I've come across places where antisocial people have left human waste and toilet paper that is barely hidden in bushes or at the side of the path and from my observation the vast majority is in tourist hotspots where hoards of people have come in cars and once one person throws down their tissue everyone else thinks 'why not'

Another place I've observed it, when out mountain biking, is just off the road on access tracks in the countyside just outside towns. These are not scenic places that van lifers would choose to park up but i think young people drive out in their cars and do what young people do at night away from prying eyes particularly during covid times now they can't go clubbing or anywhere after 10pm. Reduced inhibitions and darkness mean they don't even realise the mess they are leaving behind.

A responsible van dweller would not go to the loo close to the carpark, they would leave only biodegradable products well buried and remove everything else to a bin. Obviously a small minority of any section of society will ruin it for everyone else but it saddens me to see motorhomers on here blaming people living in vans for this problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Italy stinks of pee in the cities too , but i suspect its mainly drunks at night and not vandwellers.
Same with the beaches etc ....its mostly day trippers in cars doing the deed ....they aren't all vandwellers
I was referring to the bit about it leaving no trace, not suggesting it was caused by vandwellers. However I then mentioned the vandwellers who don't take anything with them to take care of their own 'waste' which is disgusting.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I was referring to the bit about it leaving no trace, not suggesting it was caused by vandwellers. However I then mentioned the vandwellers who don't take anything with them to take care of their own 'waste' which is disgusting.
Leave no trace is perfectly doable with a bit of care

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A shovel is always in my garage in case of emergencies

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Many parts of Portugal away from the tourist areas are just rubbish dumps

Jeeeeeeeez.

I must be lucky then because the rural area of Portugal that I live in, a long, long way away from noisy, bloody booze fixated, only here for the sun tourists is a veritable paradise of natural beauty containing wonderfully helpful and kind locals...

JJ :cool:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jeeeeeeeez.

I must be lucky then because the rural area of Portugal that I live in, a long, long way away from noisy, bloody booze fixated, only here for the sun tourists is a veritable paradise of natural beauty containing wonderfully helpful and kind locals...

JJ :cool:
Personally i found the best parts of portugal to be far away from the tourist areas.
The first year i visited i did the Algarve and up the west coast ....i wasn't overly impressed.

Last year i did more central and east Portugal and its like a different country

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Don’t know where you found all this rubbish, we also live in Central Portugal and don’t see any. There’s bins provided on every corner for use by anyone free of charge. It disgusts us every time we return to uk and see the amount of litter along the roadsides. No comparison. When we used to come down here back in the eighties, it was a different story, Greece was the same. We always carried a rake with us and used to have to clean parking spots, always left them cleaner than when we arrived.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just reading the article and a couple of thoughts. If van life is cramped as the weather turns how is life going to be for the 4 year old what education will be provided and how will the child’s social network grow.

Van life is not simplifying life as you take your life with you where ever go.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Just reading the article and a couple of thoughts. If van life is cramped as the weather turns how is life going to be for the 4 year old what education will be provided and how will the child’s social network grow.

Van life is not simplifying life as you take your life with you where ever go.
This isn't to argue against you, rather it's a different point of view. I had a "normal" education, doing my GCSE and A-level exams. I then went to work at several retail businesses before joining the Royal Navy. There i gained a degree in electronic engineering as part of my Artificer training. I served on nuclear submarines as an OA (Ordnance Artificer) on both HMS Trenchant and HMS Tireless. In that role, I never really used any of the advanced mathematics, surveying, micro-component soldering or countless other skills that I had learnt during my degree-level Artificer training. What I did use were the skills I learnt on my 12 week OA course as well as numerous skills I learnt "on-the-job". I can also look at countless friends and ex-colleagues who have degrees that in no way relate to their work.
Looking at the world we find ourselves currently in, I think that there are numerous benefits to home-schooling a child whilst exposing them to other places, people and culture that could, if done thoughtfully, provide a child with a wealth of experiences and knowledge equal to, if not exceeding, a more traditional schooling regime.
As for social connections...my own kids are still in contact with other children we met on a camping trip nearly 6 years ago now. My partner and I are still in contact with their parents as well as numerous other people we have met on our holidays and travels over the years.
Whilst I'm not trying to suggest that van-life is trouble free, I do imagine that in some ways it is indeed simpler. Of course, it also brings its own set of unique challenges (where to get water, where to dump waster, what to do in a small space in bad weather as you suggested) but I do think that these challenges as more helpful as an educative tool than "what size TV shall we buy, where should we buy a new sofa, is it my turn to mow the garden" would be!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This isn't to argue against you, rather it's a different point of view. I had a "normal" education, doing my GCSE and A-level exams. I then went to work at several retail businesses before joining the Royal Navy. There i gained a degree in electronic engineering as part of my Artificer training. I served on nuclear submarines as an OA (Ordnance Artificer) on both HMS Trenchant and HMS Tireless. In that role, I never really used any of the advanced mathematics, surveying, micro-component soldering or countless other skills that I had learnt during my degree-level Artificer training. What I did use were the skills I learnt on my 12 week OA course as well as numerous skills I learnt "on-the-job". I can also look at countless friends and ex-colleagues who have degrees that in no way relate to their work.
Looking at the world we find ourselves currently in, I think that there are numerous benefits to home-schooling a child whilst exposing them to other places, people and culture that could, if done thoughtfully, provide a child with a wealth of experiences and knowledge equal to, if not exceeding, a more traditional schooling regime.
As for social connections...my own kids are still in contact with other children we met on a camping trip nearly 6 years ago now. My partner and I are still in contact with their parents as well as numerous other people we have met on our holidays and travels over the years.
Whilst I'm not trying to suggest that van-life is trouble free, I do imagine that in some ways it is indeed simpler. Of course, it also brings its own set of unique challenges (where to get water, where to dump waster, what to do in a small space in bad weather as you suggested) but I do think that these challenges as more helpful as an educative tool than "what size TV shall we buy, where should we buy a new sofa, is it my turn to mow the garden" would be!
I don't disagree with you

I too had normal education, the school would not let me take English or math CSE let alone A levels although there were two subjects they did allow to take. You clearly have had great experiences and acquired useful skills.

A degree is not the be all and end all of being educated and many are doing menial jobs that had no need for a degree.I am saying this as somewhat has few undergrad and post grad degrees. I agree with you as I am not saying that home school is rubbish neither am I saying living mobile is bad. But not everyone is actually equipped to do this even if they think they are, it can be quite a romantic notion olive 'off grid'.

We cannot all be mobile living, can you imagine the mess that would create? A few may really benefit from an alternate lifestyle but many would not. You may or may not have seen Leave no trace the young girl featured in the film is clearly quite capable but decides in the end not to follow her Fathers wild life style. I suspect the drive for mobile living comes from social media (and we all know how idolised impressions are generated by this media).

We take ourselves wherever we go and that includes problems so for getting away from problems probably not, and we can choose to lead a simplified life in a brick and mortar building just as well as in a tiny MoHo (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't disagree with you

I too had normal education, the school would not let me take English or math CSE let alone A levels although there were two subjects they did allow to take. You clearly have had great experiences and acquired useful skills.

A degree is not the be all and end all of being educated and many are doing menial jobs that had no need for a degree.I am saying this as somewhat has few undergrad and post grad degrees. I agree with you as I am not saying that home school is rubbish neither am I saying living mobile is bad. But not everyone is actually equipped to do this even if they think they are, it can be quite a romantic notion olive 'off grid'.

We cannot all be mobile living, can you imagine the mess that would create? A few may really benefit from an alternate lifestyle but many would not. You may or may not have seen Leave no trace the young girl featured in the film is clearly quite capable but decides in the end not to follow her Fathers wild life style. I suspect the drive for mobile living comes from social media (and we all know how idolised impressions are generated by this media).

We take ourselves wherever we go and that includes problems so for getting away from problems probably not, and we can choose to lead a simplified life in a brick and mortar building just as well as in a tiny MoHo (y)
Vanlife clearly isnt for everyone thats why on the whole there are a minute percentage of people doing it.
Some will try it for a while and return to bricks and mortar ...others may do it for years , some for life

Its just another form of gypsy ....and there have been gypsies for centuries

Why worry about it

Ive been 3 years fulltime....i probably wont do it forever ...but i might

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Vanlife clearly isnt for everyone thats why on the whole there are a minute percentage of people doing it.
Some will try it for a while and return to bricks and mortar ...others may do it for years , some for life

Its just another form of gypsy ....and there have been gypsies for centuries

Why worry about it

Ive been 3 years fulltime....i probably wont do it forever ...but i might
I suspect but don’t ‘know’ that given the explosion of off grid vans there will be councils creating more local restrictions on parking up. Near me there is an area that one or two MoHo’s stay over night never seen them do this for more than two consecutive nights however now there are two full timers that never move and have cars parked by them it’s only a matter of time before restrictions are in place and they are moved on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back