Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Got a renewal through in the night for my Landrover from RAC Insurance. This one thanked me for insuring them for the last 12 months and presented the price for the coming year. These days they have to show you last years price along with the new one. It showed an increase of just under £30, and if I do nothing it will renew at the new price. Now rather than go through the hassle of getting quotes most will probably just accept the increase.

Except these days it's easy, I popped over the Compare the Market and it knew I had the insurance renewal coming up, it had all of the details of the vehicle, the no claims, the driver's and additional drivers details etc. So 'click' and off it went to find quotes, The best one, right at the top was just under £100 cheaper than the RAC were offering me. And who was this company? The RAC :doh: Scammers or what.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Pet insurance, up 50% with More Than this year ... because he’d turned 6 without claiming ... when I rang to cancel they asked if they could do anything. But too late as I’d insured elsewhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Got a renewal through in the night for my Landrover from RAC Insurance. This one thanked me for insuring them for the last 12 months and presented the price for the coming year. These days they have to show you last years price along with the new one. It showed an increase of just under £30, and if I do nothing it will renew at the new price. Now rather than go through the hassle of getting quotes most will probably just accept the increase.

Except these days it's easy, I popped over the Compare the Market and it knew I had the insurance renewal coming up, it had all of the details of the vehicle, the no claims, the driver's and additional drivers details etc. So 'click' and off it went to find quotes, The best one, right at the top was just under £100 cheaper than the RAC were offering me. And who was this company? The RAC :doh: Scammers or what.
Most times they will not reinsure at the lower price because this is aimed at new policies. You will have to advise them you are not renewing and then reinsure with them again to obtain the reduced price, daft isn't it.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My problem/gripe; there is only one underwriter ( to my knowledge) that will provide cover for full timing ? so they have me by the short and curlies ? as I am unable to walk away.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sadly this is the state of affairs for most businesses. When I rang Virgin Media to terminate my contract the chap said it was a shame after being with them for over 20 years. My reply was that being punished for loyalty is what was the greatest shame. Maybe this all needs looking into by industry watchdogs.?

Wyn

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Someone tried to explain to me why the 2nd year was always going up. Probably a rep. from the insurance company trying to calm me down. :rolleyes:

The gist of their explanation with sample dates: "It shouldn't happen, but part of the problem is that your Feb 18 to Feb 19 policy was arranged via Meerkats with us

When we sent the reminder direct to you there's part of the meerkat communication info loop missing."

I've forgotten what that missing bit was or could be though. But I have renewed directly with the insurer for the 2nd year after getting what ever they claimed was 'missing' sorted at Meerkat prices.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I do have a good story my LV car insurance is a £1 cheaper this year? However my van insurance is exasperatingly high.?and went up a tenner.?

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
The Good Woman has decided not to ride the Honda 125 scooter. She has 1 years experience. I have over 50 years experience on motorbikes. We asked the insurance company how much cheaper the policy would be with her removed. Astonishingly they said it go up ! So it’s cheaper to have her name on the thing and not physically ride the bike.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Generally my Comfort renewal quote has been fine
I cant say the same for the car insurances though. Sometimes I have found the lowest quote for new business has been the company I am already with and they have matched it.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Kompare the Meerkat has saved us loads the past few years as well as for elderly relatives
We both have the 2 4 1 meals and cinema too and being retired now that is a bonus

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Home insurance Coop.
Last year £260. This year £325.
Did a quick scan, LV £180 for same cover.
Phoned Coop "do not renew, I have a quote for £180", "sorry we can't budge".
Went direct to LV and paid less than the comparison site.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You shouldn't have to haggle the best price out of them - they should give an honest quote in the first place.

As Jim says - the whole of the Insurance industry are out and out scammers.

(y)
Exactly!
The Good Woman has decided not to ride the Honda 125 scooter. She has 1 years experience. I have over 50 years experience on motorbikes. We asked the insurance company how much cheaper the policy would be with her removed. Astonishingly they said it go up ! So it’s cheaper to have her name on the thing and not physically ride the bike.
Yet if you buy an old car , insure it & park it up to build a ncb they consider you are committing fraud. They really are just all scum that should be necklaced.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
They are robbers, I haven’t given my money to them for years, don’t bother with the car either...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have a multi car policy for my car my wifes car and daughters. I got the renewal through and it wasn't too bad, so phoned them up and told them if they dont want to lose the business they need to offer me an incentive to stay. They offered me a £50 discount and as I was already happy with the original price it was a nice saving for making a phone call.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Sadly this is the state of affairs for most businesses. When I rang Virgin Media to terminate my contract the chap said it was a shame after being with them for over 20 years. My reply was that being punished for loyalty is what was the greatest shame. Maybe this all needs looking into by industry watchdogs.?

Wyn
Agree. Seems there is no interest in retaining long serving customers, seems to be all about churn, get new buyers in and stuff your existing customers. I did same thing with Virgin, if its 'a shame' how about making sure I pay less than someone who has been with you 5 minutes!!!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Two of our cars are insured with Admiral, they were due for renewal within 1 week of one another, I got online renewal quotes and both were cheaper with Admiral rather like Jim so I thought I’d phone about the Admiral multiquote as each quote had recommended I did that. I tried it and it was dearer. I asked her to explain and we just went round and round in circles with her saying it all depended on the info the insurer was given, I said that was daft as it was the same info. In the end I said “ why can’t you just be honest and say you don’t know?” She didn’t know what to say. I cancelled both policy renewals and did individual new ones via Topcashback, barmy.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I started working in Insurance nearly 50 years ago. Back then, it was quite different.
"These are the rating books, you'll be taught how to use them". The motor rating books were updated regularly as new car models, security systems etc came on the market. Proper underwriting based on risk factors. If anyone came to you to say they could get it cheaper elsewhere, you would say "well done you" and wave them off.
Applied to cars, houses, businesses, everything.
So glad I'm retired.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When I put my motorhome on the insurance this time around I said they didn’t need to include my wife as she never drives it. The quote was cheaper as self and spouse. Hey ho, no rhyme or reason.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The trouble with having wife on insurance even if she doesn’t drive it is that if you have an accident and can’t drive then without her on the insurance co will get your car home with her on there is no need as she is insured and can drive it

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's our own fault. Loyalty works both ways. Insurance is what is known as a 'distress purchase' - something you buy because you have to rather than because you want to. So everyone goes looking for the cheapest price & the companies have to react. The comparison sites have exacerbated the problem. So like phone & broadband, there has been a race to the bottom. Market competition can be a mixed blessing. I'm surprised JJ didn't produce his usual quote - Mrs T was at least partly to blame for this one.

Who is going to break the cycle?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The trouble with having wife on insurance even if she doesn’t drive it is that if you have an accident and can’t drive then without her on the insurance co will get your car home with her on there is no need as she is insured and can drive it
Which is why Rita's name is not on the insurance, as although qualified to drive our large MH, she won't, which was made clear to me before we bought it.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Sadly, you cannot be loyal to insurance companies. They all have a budget trying to attract new business which gives new clients a much better deal than loyal existing ones.
You know what to do. Change company yearly.
Phil

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Just had a renewal quote from AIB and is £30 less than last year which is great news considering nothing has changed from my perspective.?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I got a renewal quote from Direct Line for my car in August, it had increased by £30 on last year. I'm driving a 2010 Peugeot 207 1.4HDi and it's market value is just over £1k. The quote was the same as the quote I had for my MH which I paid £43k for last year, also annual mileage is very similar.
For years I'd just been auto renewing as the renewal date always fell when I was going on holiday, but not this year. I went on line to Go Compare and saved myself over £200 with even better cover. I then called Direct Line and told them I wouldn't be renewing after 24 years. They offered me a loyalty discount (there's a laugh) of £75. I said back date it for 20 years and you have a deal (having NEVER claimed) I'll never auto renew again. :doh:
My saving will pay next years too with enough left for a night out.:party:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Insurance companies are pure scum - and need to be investigated.

Just renewed our multicar policy with LV. BMW X5M and a Nissan X-Trail £505
Just got pet insurance renewal quote through for one of our dogs £1100
Firstly, I don't understand how a mutt can cost more than double the price to cover than two cars.
Secondly, when used comparethemarket to check for a better quote, I was given the price of £434 ... from Tesco, who were the same company who provided the renewal price of £1100.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back