Insurance while diy build (1 Viewer)

giants

Free Member
Aug 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi all, i am planning on starting a DIY van conversion, i have contacted carol Nash, they said they would only insure as a van, and i presume as soon as i start alterations my insurance would be null and void, one other company said they would only cover for 90 days then it would have to be registered with DVLA as a camper van and reinsured, I am not going to get this done in 90 days.
Any help please.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
w2f

I think the 90 days is possibly the best youy will get but ask if you can extend once started.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
You could try Adrian Flux, they insured my kitcar when I was building it, this was 1998,so things may have changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

giants

Free Member
Aug 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi, thanks for the replies i will give them a try.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Assume you are also aware getting "Motorcaravan" on V5 isn't straight forward and is more of a lottery? Just check the insurance is OK with at least a failed attempt (most, not all, are) - though some companies (a-plan) don't actually care.

Before anyone states "all you need to do is....." - its all cr*p - any advice on internet is wrong. I researched for years and have multiple examples to disprove every internet comment on what you need to do to pass; window types; number of windows; awnings; graphic etc etc - its more random than fact. DVLA even say "its a guideline, not a checklist, we don't always pass vans that tick all boxes, and we may pass vans that don't tick all boxes" aka "we make it up as we go along".

I know companies that do the same conversion on the same vans and they have mixed results! Even 2 sent off at same time came back different. I know people who pass first time with "iffy" conversions.

Me, 4 failed attempts, 2 rejected complaints (they self investigate their own complaints, like thats a good idea). All saying "our decision is final". One letter from my MP asking them to explain to me why they failed despite (IMO) our van being a MC, and rather than justify it I got a V5 with MC back and a letter of apology saying sorry for not changing that classification correctly sooner.

So good luck :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back