Insurance quote doubled (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Has anyone else experienced a massive increase with their insurance renewal?
I’ve just opened the email from Comfort, who I’ve stayed with for the past 5 years and their quote has jumped by double last years premium.
I’ve not made any claims and understand that costs have increased but not by double the premium.
Previous years have seen premiums quoted very similar to other companies, but I’ve stayed with Comfort to save me the hassle of changing and because I’ve never had any issues with them.

Have they been bought out or are they just greedy b’s or has everyone else experienced their premiums double?
Will be starting the laborious task of ringing/searching round I think.

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
My Insurance with Comfort went up £40 I did do a comparison with other companies all came back more expensive, so I stayed with Comfort. Doubling your premium does sound an awful lot I'd phone them and ask why.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mine renewed last April with Comfort it went up 12 quid some years it has come down with them.
Sometimes premiums increase if there has been an increase in risk in certain post code areas.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our policy, (with Comfort), went up by £120 this year. When I queried it I was told that it was because my wife had reached her 75th birthday. I said “in that case I’ll ring around for other quotes”. They then decided that the increase would only be £18 !

I stayed with them but, as I will also be 75yrs by the time of the next renewal, I will check that renewal very carefully.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My insurance with NFU went down quite significantly when I renewed in October. I think they may have shifted their high value vehicle category up and it has overtaken my value. I noticed that instead of giving a specific value it now says value not exceeding £100,000.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I remember when my car insurance company doubled my renewal premium. Turned out that they had amalgamated with another company and wanted to offload customers. Those that stayed paid a huge premium, those that went elsewhere got a far better deal.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had been with Comfort with minimal increases for 8 years but last year they quoted a 60% increase for renewal.
I changed to Devitt brokers via the CAMC at 10% less than Comfort's pre-renewal premium.
Same address, no convictions, no claims in 58 years of driving, not even a speeding or parking fine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My insurance with NFU went down quite significantly when I renewed in October. I think they may have shifted their high value vehicle category up and it has overtaken my value. I noticed that instead of giving a specific value it now says value not exceeding £100,000.
Not even enough for a new CompactLine now.
Perhaps that is the reason for the increases with the rocketing in value of Motorhomes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I’m currently with Comfort and have been for a number of years.
I contacted them to query it and they said that Aviva who they use has increased the premium due to it being in storage.
I called the storage facility and asked if they had any thefts or break ins recently and they said the last break in was to a caravan at the very start of Covid and if anything, was more secure now due to upgraded security and still COSA.
Time for a change I think.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Our policy, (with Comfort), went up by £120 this year. When I queried it I was told that it was because my wife had reached her 75th birthday. I said “in that case I’ll ring around for other quotes”. They then decided that the increase would only be £18 !

I stayed with them but, as I will also be 75yrs by the time of the next renewal, I will check that renewal very carefully.
I have a friend in the insurance industry (mainly caravans or cheaper motorhomes). His advice was that once you get to age 75 it is a cut-off threshold for some/many (?) companies and there was merit in staying with the same company.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just had a quote with caravan guard and like for like its £320 cheaper than Comforts.
Isn’t that a disgrace that it can be that much difference - what has gone on with Comfort? Bloody greed.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I’ve just opened the email from Comfort, who I’ve stayed with for the past 5 years and their quote has jumped by double last years premium.
I’ve not made any claims and understand that costs have increased but not by double the premium.
Previous years have seen premiums quoted very similar to other companies, but I’ve stayed with Comfort to save me the hassle of changing and because I’ve never had any issues with them.

Have they been bought out or are they just greedy b’s or has everyone else experienced their premiums double?
Get a quote from caravan Guard
they are very very helpful on the phone
and create your policy to YOUR NEEDS AND USAGE
just give them a call

Jun 4, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
We pay £121 with LV= on a multi vehicle policy with 2 cars.

my advice, shop around!!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
My insurance was due last week so started phoning round, Comfort were more than double my renewal with NFU. I had been with them for several years before but last year it increased so moved provider. In fact out of every quote I got Comfort were by far the dearest.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My comfort insurance, just over a month ago, was about £30 more than last year.

Me too, so I will be checking, although my husband is on policy too and he is 76.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
My Comfort policy went up £32 this year which is unusual in that it normally only increases by a few quid if at all so rang them for the reason why...
Aviva have raised their premuim by £24 and the breakdown policy has risen £8 from £65 to £73.

Ianj55

Free Member
Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
Was insured with Comfort who did the same and increased my premium out of reach, so looked around and found a Broker called Think Insurance who are at Walsall and extremely helpful and knocked over £150 off the comfort quote. No matter what insurance you are trying renew you MUST always get an alternative quote. Might not be cheaper with someone else but at least you know what you are paying is correct. Also check the small print in terms of what is covered and not covered, might be cheaper but for a reason. Windscreen cover is probably the best one to check as it can cost a lot of money to replace, some firms cover the whole cost others do not. Comfort insurance appear to be always aligned to one company and if you speak to them don’t seem able to move. Shop around

Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
My renewal in November was £3 me in a nice way0 less than year before with CAMC, which really suprised

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962

It seems they are all going on the drivers age since my 80th premiums have doubled also with no claims at all the only difference is the age increase . I wonder how much it will be when I am 90!

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
We have been with Comfort for 16 years. You would think that a loyal customer our insurance premium would be decreasing Ha!Ha!. fat chance. So, we cancelled the renewal and went to LV. Insured the car and 'van for a very good deal. I was also given 5 years NCB for driving company cars 12 years ago!!

Reactions: f6c

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
With a heavy heart, having had little response from alternative sources, I rang CCC. This was last year.
Shock horror, they gave me a very competitive quote which I took in both hands.

Fast forward 12 months and I awaited the renewal quote with trepidation.

Bigger shock. It came at £305 including foreign travel and unlimited windscreen cover.
Our van is a 2011 Burstner A class.

I take on board re age. Although I'm 2 renewals short of being 75yrs. old, I can assume that insurance via a club like CCC would be less likely to be hiked like a direct Insurance Co.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Renewed in October and switched from 2016 Auto Sleeper to 2021 Burstner Lyseo including foreign travel. Difference was only a few pounds more with Safeguard than previous policy, but needed Tracker fitted and activated. Safeguard were cheaper than a number of other quotes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back