Insurance for the Western Balkans and Turkey (2 Viewers)

May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Hi
As part of our planning to spend the summer/autumn driving out to Greece (and possibly Turkey), I have just been advised by my insurance provider (AXA) that we are not covered for the Western Balkan countries (nor Turkey) other than Croatia (because it is in the EU). We are not sure what Balkan countries we shall visit (most likely are Serbia and North Macedonia) or if we shall get as far as Turkey but, ideally, it would be good to have this option. Speaking with my insurance provider, I am also advised that they cannot extend my insurance as an additional option to cover these countries.

As far as I can see, our Nationwide flexi plus/AA breakdown cover is valid extensively for all European countries, so it is just the insurance we need.

Can anybody recommend an insurance provider that they know will provide cover. Many thanks in anticipation.

Jenn

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, we’re with NFU and they insured Morocco. About to check for a similar trip ourselves, will let you know.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Jim - is there any way you could provide a link / forum / whatever where any questions over a week old that don’t have answers appear? Would help us to help each other…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thats easy

1. Go to What's New
  2. Click on Filters
  3. Choose (check) Unanswered
  4. Click Filter

1682538410812.png

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
The last time that I drove to Turkey, a year ago, I ended up buying green card insurance at the border. But this only gives you 3rd party insurance but not theft. If you find a solution, please post.

Also, the breakdown cover that I looked at with UK companies only covered as far as the northern European corner of Turkey so I didn't bother. I used to belong to ADAC who do cover it.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
As Jane thought, NFU gave us a free green card for the Balkans (except Kosovo) & Greece. Non EU countries are 3rd party cover only.

Didn’t ask about Turkey but it looks like they issue a green card to include it anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
LV supplied mine for Turkey and Serbia, although not clear if I actually needed it for Serbia.
Fully comp.
With regard breakdown cover Fiat Assist covers Turkey.

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
We were in Turkiye and the Balkans last year.
Insurance provided by SAGA and Turkiye, fully comprehensive, was an add on.
We could only get the add on by applying within one month of arrival in Turkiye, they need the following -
date departed from UK
arrival date in Turkiye
departure date from Turkiye
arrival date in UK
total mileage for the trip.
We arranged cover for 3 months in Turkiye.

I have heard that, in the last 12 months, some people have successfully arrange cover for Turkiye but others had been refused but do not know why.

Good luck, the Balkans and Turkiye (especially) are great to visit in a motorhome.

Orinoco

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit convers
Hi , I was told by my insurance company ( Lifesure / Axa ) that any non EU countries I was visiting I could buy insurance at the border, anyone had problems with doing this ?

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
Hi , I was told by my insurance company ( Lifesure / Axa ) that any non EU countries I was visiting I could buy insurance at the border, anyone had problems with doing this ?
My experience going into Turkey was that I could only buy 3rd party insurance at the border.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back