Insurance for Croatia? (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hoping to take advantage when allowed to do so, to visit Croatia to get around the 90/180 rule as they are not in the Zone. I note that my insurance does not cover there as it says any European country?

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Thank you, I am aware they have applied to join the EU but does that mean they will also join the Schengen zone as well. Just trying to find a solution to the 90/180 as in advancing years we want to make the most of the time left to venture around and about. Sorry if that sounds depressing but time and tide etc, plus the amount of time the DVLA are taking for C 1 renewals, as now having sent my licence away for renewal (second time) would not be able to drive abroad even if we could until I get it back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Thank you, I am aware they have applied to join the EU but does that mean they will also join the Schengen zone as well. Just trying to find a solution to the 90/180 as in advancing years we want to make the most of the time left to venture around and about. Sorry if that sounds depressing but time and tide etc, plus the amount of time the DVLA are taking for C 1 renewals, as now having sent my licence away for renewal (second time) would not be able to drive abroad even if we could until I get it back.
Yes, the Croatian Visa link says that the Schengen Application may well be finalised in 2022, hence my 'might be last chance, COVID permitting' comment in the original reply! At present, Croatia visits do not count for the 90/180 Days Rule.

Steve

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Slightly off topic but I toured Croatia in 2019 on my my motorcycle, the standard of driving is pretty good and the roads are better than in the UK. The coastal road is fantastic and would be easy I a motorhome. There appeared to be plenty basic sites almost everywhere but I'm not sure if "wild camping " is allowed.

At the time my insurers covered Croatia automatically, all insurers will issue a Green Card usually without charge. It would also be wise to get a International Driving permit, I believe the Post Office issue these for a small charge.

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
I suspect the OP' s insurance covers all EU plus EEA countries, quite a few don't automatically cover Croatia.
Yes and it really riles me that insurance companies each define their own borders for Europe.
Europe is a geographical area, EU is a union of some European countries and Schengen is an entirely different union of some European countries.
As far as I can tell only SAGA and Nationwide provide true European cover. Sorry, rant over :D

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes and it really riles me that insurance companies each define their own borders for Europe.
Europe is a geographical area, EU is a union of some European countries and Schengen is an entirely different union of some European countries.
As far as I can tell only SAGA and Nationwide provide true European cover. Sorry, rant over :D
Saga cover Croatia and were really reasonable for Morocco but wouldn't entertain Bosnia.
Imo its horses for course s and don't be affraid to end early and re-insure with a company that does offer what you need.
We ve got this issue looming as Saga wouldn't cover our current mh due to engine size, NFU however have been really good but Morocco and Croatia are 3rd part only.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Bessy765 Croatia is definitely part of the EU community & has been for a number of years. It is not in the Eurozone, which makes it cheaper in my experience and is not yet a Schengen country so your insurance should be fine & you can avoid the 90/180 day EU rule by going there. The country is great & we can’t wait to go back but the only problem for us was our insurers, Comfort, did not cover Bosnia so we couldn’t get to Dubrovnik by road & would have to island hop. Split was the furthest south we ever got. Many risk it for the 10 miles or so of road but we wouldn’t risk it. There is generally delays at the border with Slovenia due to the Schengen issue, control both sides, & now of course we would have to join the non EU queue.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Schengen country so your insurance should be fine & you can avoid the 90/180 day EU rule by going there.
Several insurance companies will not give full cover for Croatia and limit the cover to 3rd party risks only. NFU is one.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Croatia is EU as is Romania and bulgaria ...and most insurance will cover these countries. They just aren't part of shengen.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Bessy765 Croatia is definitely part of the EU community & has been for a number of years. It is not in the Eurozone, which makes it cheaper in my experience and is not yet a Schengen country so your insurance should be fine & you can avoid the 90/180 day EU rule by going there. The country is great & we can’t wait to go back but the only problem for us was our insurers, Comfort, did not cover Bosnia so we couldn’t get to Dubrovnik by road & would have to island hop. Split was the furthest south we ever got. Many risk it for the 10 miles or so of road but we wouldn’t risk it. There is generally delays at the border with Slovenia due to the Schengen issue, control both sides, & now of course we would have to join the non EU queue.
There are several insurance companies that do not automatically give full cover for Croatia. Agreed its a great place to visit and the coast road between pula and zadar is a true classic.

Shame you missed Dubrovnik, its only one short ferry onto a peninsula that rejoins the mainland and fairly pretty in its own right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back