Install LiFePO4 batteries on their side? (2 Viewers)

Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
I’m getting contradictory information from well known installation companies on fitting LiFePO4 batteries on their side.

Some say no problem - some say not advisable.

Does anyone have definitive information on this?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
As long as it’s not upside down, on its side it’s ok. However, some manufacturers do put their cells on their side, as long as they don’t end upside down you are good to go. For that you will need to know how your cells are oriented in the box, in order to tip them once , not twice.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
One of mine is on the side, no issues at all. Link is in my signature, it’s sat happily providing me lots of free electricity from the solar.

Well, it’s free now after I paid for the battery. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I’m getting contradictory information from well known installation companies on fitting LiFePO4 batteries on their side.

Some say no problem - some say not advisable.

Does anyone have definitive information on this?
Many modern motorcycles have their lithium batteries laid flat for convenience.
Imagine they are a series of rechargeable AA batteries boxed together - No problem :clap2:

R.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
50 years of boating, just one on motorhomes.
The batteries themselves can be orientated any way, many wall mounted powerbanks have them on their sides. However, the construction of other parts inside the battery (like the BMS) might not be designed to permit this.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Many modern motorcycles have their lithium batteries laid flat for convenience.
Imagine they are a series of rechargeable AA batteries boxed together - No problem :clap2:

View attachment 735694
That’s true for cylindrical cells. Many batteries like fogstar are made of prismatic cells with a pressure relief valve at the top. This valve can be oriented upwards or sideways. Never upside down. I have seen cells in the box mounted sideways. If you tip them one way, they end up upright, and if you tip them the other way they end up upside down. If manufacturer says it’s ok to fit on its side, it means their cells are already upwards, so it doesn’t mater which way you tip, they end on their side.
It’s all down to type of cells and orientation in the box.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Now had a reply to one of my enquiry emails - see attached.

Not very informative - but certainly very clear!

1F262DE1-0577-443A-8CA8-44D351B30DA8.png

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Now had a reply to one of my enquiry emails - see attached.

Not very informative - but certainly very clear!

View attachment 735733
It’s pretty clear to me, if you read my posts on the matter, you will understand why, and for good reason. If victron fill their boxes with prismatics on their side, then you can’t tilt them again. This is not valid for all lifepo4’s. Cyclindrical cells can be any orientation. Relion, ultramax, and others that use cylindrical, can be fitter any orientation.
It’s manufacture specific this tilting orientation thing, they are built differently, and not one rule fits all.
So it looks like victron’s are upright fit then.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
It’s pretty clear to me, if you read my posts on the matter, you will understand why, and for good reason. If victron fill their boxes with prismatics on their side, then you can’t tilt them again. This is not valid for all lifepo4’s. Cyclindrical cells can be any orientation. Relion, ultramax, and others that use cylindrical, can be fitter any orientation.
It’s manufacture specific this tilting orientation thing, they are built differently, and not one rule fits all.
So it looks like victron’s are upright fit then.
👍 KS Energy and Sterling have confirmed it’s no problem to install their batteries on the side.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It depends on the internals. Speak to the manufacturer. Both Victron and FogStar appear to have been very clear in their response :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter Clark
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
That’s good to know. KS uses cylindrical’s so you are definitely safe with them. Sterling probably the same. You did the right thing to ask them. 👍 and other funsters will learn from this to.
Update:
Latest replies -
Eco-Worthy : Yes fine on side
Renogy : No not on side

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread