Inside mirror condensation (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi

just noticed today that the bathroom mirrors are full of condensation.
not seen this before - even throughout the snow and following thaw.

Van is in storage and I've left the bathroom door closed up until now and seeing this, I've opened it.
Only difference to the van is I've added two air-freshners (the car tree type on elastic) to the lounge area, so don't think that they're the cause.

any ideas why I've got condensation now and have never had it before?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks Sid40, I've kept the door open and will try vent where possible and will keep an eye on it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cold glass....warm air....condensation.

Same thing as condensation on your windscreen....colder air on the outside cooling the glass, warm moist air inside from breathing, cooking etc

Leave the door open and you shouldnt hsve a problem.

Enter stage left....the dehumidifier fanatics.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I know I am picking up an old thread but I am having big condensation problems.
Like @pappajohn and Sid40 I believe the remedy is venting. But, I have made sure both floor vents are clear and I have cranked open the smaller roof vent. The cupboards are empty and the doors open including the washroom door.
The van is parked in our drive and has a cover on the outside of windscreen?
Today, as previous days, all surfaces running with condensation including taps, mirrors doors etc.
I don't want to go down the route of heating or dehumidifying but thinking that is the only way.
Had an Autosleeper before this one and didn't have any problems.

Upvote 0

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
I used a Unibond Aero 360 moisture absorber last year, I was pleased with the result. Available from Wilko or DIY shops.
Worth a try as not expensive and refills available.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I used a Unibond Aero 360 moisture absorber last year, I was pleased with the result. Available from Wilko or DIY shops.
Worth a try as not expensive and refills available.
We used a couple of those last year, seemed to do the trick.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Like @pappajohn and Sid40 I believe the remedy is venting. But, I have made sure both floor vents are clear and I have cranked open the smaller roof vent. The cupboards are empty and the doors open including the washroom door.
Today, as previous days, all surfaces running with condensation including taps, mirrors doors etc.
I don't want to go down the route of heating or dehumidifying but thinking that is the only way.

Have to say that is unusual to that degree when the van is not been used, is the toilet cassette empty, no wet dish clothes around, a couple of windows on the sneck? No slight leaks from a skylight, have a good feel around.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning RbA I share the same opinion as Caroline I would expect there to have to be a lot of moisture somewhere for that much condensation to form

Do you have the heating turned on? It has turned colder this week, but TBH we have our heating on a low setting all the time and don't get condensation other than the usual windscreen when away in it and very cold outside

ventilation should really be the key I would say, bathroom vent opened a bit more maybe, plus another to help air flow (y) but it does sound like something more serious might be causing it o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have this problem in my garage at home, the cement board roof runs with condensation and drips onto my car. It only ever happens when there is a big change in outside temp, warm to cold. I cut large vents into the door which seems to have helped.
The inside of your Moho could be the same, more ventilation to cool the inside down at the same rate as the outside would be my guess. (y)

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I feel for you as none of us would want to have so much moisture in the motorhome.

I’ve used these for past 6 years and have never suffered regardless of what the weather is doing. Readily available in the shops. Saw them in Tesco today as well. In my opinion the scented refills aren’t cheap, but go for the standard blue and they’re worth it.

Also leave all my doors ajar to circulate the air inside.

Good luck and keep us posted:)
7736DC49-89E1-4777-8B66-2F3D9EF146DA.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't have any problems with our van but the car in damp weather the screen gets covered in condensation, easy to remedy set the heating controls to recirculating it's reduces the amout of damp air coming in. Well worth trying.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I don't have any problems with our van but the car in damp weather the screen gets covered in condensation, easy to remedy set the heating controls to recirculating it's reduces the amout of damp air coming in. Well worth trying.
I have 2 of these behind the seat in my car and don't really suffer that much from moisture.

As it's a convertible with a very light coloured roof lining, I'm always on the lookout for any signs of damp or black spots on the fabric.

So far so good and it never ceases to surprise me just how much water I tip away from them each week:)
IMG_4290.JPG

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hmm, not to worry you but I recently discovered the main skylight had a leak. Fortunately I caught it quickly and had it seen to but it was still quite wet around the enclosure. The chap who fixed it said it may take a little while to dry out.
Since then, despite properly ventilating the van I've noticed condensation on the windows, which normally are fitted with internal insulated covers. I believe it is the damp slowly drying out.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I've noticed ours is getting steamed up mirrors in the bathroom and we have an extra vent in the roof as well as leaving the sky light open slightly can't find any moisture anywhere all I can put it down to is that the traps on the shower and basin have water in them and we have two in the shower.
My solution was to open door and put fan heater on for a few hours which seems to have done the trick.(y)

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks everyone. Today there was no condensation so I am wondering if is was a sudden change in th weather. Over a couple of days but I wasn't able to check yesterday. There is nothing left damp in the van and when I drained the system I even blew down the taps. They are left half open but they don't have u bends. Both under neath drain taps fully open.
I have had a look / feel around for leaks but thankfully no sign.

No heating on and plenty of ventilation.

I do have a large mains dehumidifier for the house as we get mould since having walls filled ( big mistake many years ago) . But not convenient to run mains cable out.

Will try the small ones suggested but at present a bit incapacitated due to minor op yesterday.:(

IMG_1763.JPG

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks everyone. Today there was no condensation so I am wondering if is was a sudden change in th weather. Over a couple of days but I wasn't able to check yesterday. There is nothing left damp in the van and when I drained the system I even blew down the taps. They are left half open but they don't have u bends. Both under neath drain taps fully open.
I have had a look / feel around for leaks but thankfully no sign.

No heating on and plenty of ventilation.

I do have a large mains dehumidifier for the house as we get mould since having walls filled ( big mistake many years ago) . But not convenient to run mains cable out.

Will try the small ones suggested but at present a bit incapacitated due to minor op yesterday.:(

View attachment 195555

Fingers crossed then, on another note, one of the worst things to do to an house is put cavity wall insulation in, especially if in an exposed area, but that's for another forum.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back