Info please about metal tyre valves/cores and metal caps (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As some will know,I recently posted about Nexen tyres. They offer a tyre called Nexen Roadian CT8.

I have now received a quote for 5 new tyres at £94 each,which includes fitting,valves,and wheel balancing. Not bad, I thought.

But I then asked 2 questions:

1. Will the tyres all be the same date of manufacture? Answer,no idea,and no way of knowing till they arrive and can see the date code.

2. Can I please have metal valves/cores,and metal caps? Answer,sorry don’t know anything about those,despite asking a local caravan and motorhome dealer,and a national tyre fitting company.

The garage giving me the quote is fairly new in the area but the guys seem to know what they are doing,so I want to support them if possible. It’s really the issue about the valves that I wish to know about.

So can anyone please educate me about tyre valves,and make any suggestions???

Many thanks....again!!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Tr600 are good but they need to be fitted with kid gloves.
My local tyre guy damaged 2 on fitting. He knew straight away so removed them.
I then supplied him with 4 new metal valves and no issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The usual rubber valve stems don't cope very well with 5.5bar pressure that some manufacturers quote for tyre pressures. The valve inserts are just the same as used in rubber

Metal caps are not a great idea as they corrode and are a bugger to get off when needed. Never at a great time usually

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As some will know,I recently posted about Nexen tyres. They offer a tyre called Nexen Roadian CT8.

I have now received a quote for 5 new tyres at £94 each,which includes fitting,valves,and wheel balancing. Not bad, I thought.

But I then asked 2 questions:

1. Will the tyres all be the same date of manufacture? Answer,no idea,and no way of knowing till they arrive and can see the date code.

2. Can I please have metal valves/cores,and metal caps? Answer,sorry don’t know anything about those,despite asking a local caravan and motorhome dealer,and a national tyre fitting company.

The garage giving me the quote is fairly new in the area but the guys seem to know what they are doing,so I want to support them if possible. It’s really the issue about the valves that I wish to know about.

So can anyone please educate me about tyre valves,and make any suggestions???

Many thanks....again!!

Do your present rims that you are going to re-tyre, not already have metal valve stems ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you already have metal valves you only need to replace the core., they are the same as standard valve cores.

Tyre dealer regard tyres up to 2 years old as new. The Toyo's I bough last year were 9 months old didn't bother me as they will be worn out in 3 - 4 years.

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Do your present rims that you are going to re-tyre, not already have metal valve stems ?
Ah! I think I get it now.....Schoolboy error,I didn’t realise the valves are part of the rims. Currently on Michelin Agilis at 80psi,so guess they must be metal valve stems or they’d have gone bang by now. I’ll get the fitters to check. Thanks.

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If you already have metal valves you only need to replace the core., they are the same as standard valve cores.

Tyre dealer regard tyres up to 2 years old as new. The Toyo's I bough last year were 9 months old didn't bother me as they will be worn out in 3 - 4 years.
Thanks. I was going to reject tyres more than 6 months old,but I’ll rethink that.

I get your point about the valves,thank you.

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Big thank you to everyone who has responded....very useful! :giggle: :giggle::giggle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Metal caps are not a great idea as they corrode and are a bugger to get off when needed. Never at a great time usually
Yep, I've had the threaded end of the valve crumble when I took off a metal cap..... Wouldn't have been so bad but the valve incorporated the TPMS.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When using the metal valves with the correct metal valve caps I found it efficacious to just apply a small dab of copper anti-seize grease to the thread of the cap . Worked well on land-rover used in arduous conditions over decades . :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ah! I think I get it now.....Schoolboy error,I didn’t realise the valves are part of the rims. Currently on Michelin Agilis at 80psi,so guess they must be metal valve stems or they’d have gone bang by now. I’ll get the fitters to check. Thanks.
The valves are not part of the rims. The metal ones are in two halves and screw together through the rim.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
At 80psi you must have a very hard ride

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
At 80psi you must have a very hard ride
Yes! But that’s what Michelin suggest,as does the plate on the van,so that’s what I was doing. Despite that,now reduced to 65 on fronts which is better. Have fitted new Hankooks on rear as not convinced that Michelin are any good,my rears were cracking in the side walls at 5 years old. I will put Hankooks on front and spare within the next year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back