TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I'm approaching the "magic 70" I can't see what people are worrying about as regards licence renewal - if you can't meet the very liberal driving laws applied to 70+ folk, do you honestly think you should be on the roads, at least until your problem is sorted? Yes there have been a lot of reports of problems with DVLA but those are mostly due to administration errors (on both sides I would add) but how many have eventually got a total ban? I would guess very very few. I was told years ago whilst renewing my commercial licence that the DVLA would do everything they could to ensure an existing licence was renewed, only applying sanctions to new applicants (my uncorrected vision in one eye was becoming borderline).

Personally if the procedures indicate I have a problem of some kind (and yes I have fallen foul, but only due to a cock-up made of all people by my doctor) I would want to get it sorted asap and I am grateful for it having been pointed out. And if I were decreed to be a danger to other road users I would instantly hang up my driving gloves.

I know this is a contentious point of view and I fully expect some reaction, but too many people IMHO, look at the driving licence as a right - it's not, it's a privilege which has to be earned (by taking training and a test) and can also be taken away from you. Even that tiny tiny and getting smaller minority who have never taken a test are still subject to the law.

Tin hat on! :restmycase:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Although I'm approaching the "magic 70" I can't see what people are worrying about as regards licence renewal - if you can't meet the very liberal driving laws applied to 70+ folk, do you honestly think you should be on the roads, at least until your problem is sorted? Yes there have been a lot of reports of problems with DVLA but those are mostly due to administration errors (on both sides I would add) but how many have eventually got a total ban? I would guess very very few. I was told years ago whilst renewing my commercial licence that the DVLA would do everything they could to ensure an existing licence was renewed, only applying sanctions to new applicants (my uncorrected vision in one eye was becoming borderline).

Personally if the procedures indicate I have a problem of some kind (and yes I have fallen foul, but only due to a cock-up made of all people by my doctor) I would want to get it sorted asap and I am grateful for it having been pointed out. And if I were decreed to be a danger to other road users I would instantly hang up my driving gloves.

I know this is a contentious point of view and I fully expect some reaction, but too many people IMHO, look at the driving licence as a right - it's not, it's a privilege which has to be earned (by taking training and a test) and can also be taken away from you. Even that tiny tiny and getting smaller minority who have never taken a test are still subject to the law.

Tin hat on! :restmycase:

Terry

Would you apply that remark in bold to driving under 3.5t?

I think there are many people with MHs under 3.5t who do not take the test, only self-certification, to renew at 70, but who might not pass the test.

I would find it easier to accept your reasoning if it were not for two
things -

Firstly, there are many MHs with bodies and running gear which have been type certifed to 3850kg or 4000kg, the same as those downplated to 3500kg, so the difference in safety standards is artificial in terms of the vehicle, and the distiguishing factor is whether the driver is self-certified medically or has passed the D4 test.

I am not sure whether the DVLA has the authority to accept self-certification for a C1 Licence, but could put a restriction on the max weight of the vehicle, in the same way that those of us who obtained C1 for pre 1997 licences have a C1+E restriction on Train Weight at 8250kg.

Maybe the self-certificatio and restriction above is worth putting to the DfT for consideration. It may be within their power without legislation.

Secondly, the financial aspect of possibly having to change one's MH or one's style of touring. This could be alleviated were Licence Insurance available, but it is not - I tried hard. As Commercial Pilots we nearly all bought Loss of Licence Insurance, which was available up to then £100,000.

Terry, this is not to argue against your reasoning in total but just to consider what seem to be some marginal anomalies in the system.

Geoff

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You only need a new photo if the present one is over 10 years old. If you do not need a photo the renewal is free. With the nee photo it costs but can't remember how much.
Do you mean licence photograph or passport one?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Here's copy of mine with bits blanked out !!
Hope it's useful
I didn't ask for lorry entitlement as I don't have one.
As your licence is valid until 2nd July you have time.
Send off, keep copies to show a nice Gendarme, smile and don't mention Brexit.
I'm sure they would be OK.
If licence arrives after you go back get it sent over.
CALM DOWN else you will fail blood pressure test !
Thanks for those @Larby Exactly as I have done it except the lorry question which I was confused about. Occasionally I have hired a 7.5 tonne "Lorry" for removals is that not what they mean I can't find any explanation of that part. I presume that you got back exactly what you had before even though you didn't tick those boxes.
Steve

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for those @Larby Exactly as I have done it except the lorry question which I was confused about. Occasionally I have hired a 7.5 tonne "Lorry" for removals is that not what they mean I can't find any explanation of that part. I presume that you got back exactly what you had before even though you didn't tick those boxes.
Steve

I have read of people who did not tick and did not get categories. Safer to tick.

Geoff

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
As said in the OP Peter, aint got a photo licence... so include one with the application then ?

Yes John - from now on, you have to have a photo licence - I was still using my green one till I was 70.

Whoever it was who mentioned diabetes - every one using insulin lost their C1 (unless they specifically applied to keep it) some years ago - Jenny did. Since she'd never in her driving history needed to drive anything over 3500kgs, she decided not to bother renewing it at the time - because her last 3 year licence (the max on insulin) expired when she was 68, her new licence was issued then and doesn't expire till she's 71.

Driving with diabetes ALWAYS depends on what medication you happen to be on, so it's by no means automatic. The Rules are different about what you have to do to retain the licence, whether you are 27 or 70. Why anyone should assume they are going to get diabetes just because they reach a certain age - unless they are genetically prone to it in old age, or they've already had warnings from blood tests - is a mystery to both of us!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just informed yesterday while negotiating on a 4500 M/H that somebody mentioned that they had diabetes and lost their entitlement. I do not have diabetes or any issues but not prepared, with yet another potential problem to risk it. I’m now definitely not buying that which is a shame.
I’m 67 so this will become an issue in the not to distant future. That information was from the salesman. We currently have a 3500 up rated to 3850 and will now definitely,if we change, go the same route to save any future problem as easy to downgrade. He also said, which I’m sure most people realise, that the trade are getting nervous regarding heavy vehicles especially twin axles.
Ray
Seems a bit negative I bought a new 4500 kg van at 67 will be 69 in two weeks. At the moment I can't get my blood pressure under control and wouldn't pass the medical. I just look on the bright side, worse case an excuse to buy a new van next year.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Seems a bit negative I bought a new 4500 kg van at 67 will be 69 in two weeks. At the moment I can't get my blood pressure under control and wouldn't pass the medical. I just look on the bright side, worse case an excuse to buy a new van next year.
The D4 examination allows up to 180/100 which I thought was high.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Steve
I didn't tick Lorry as I assumed ?? it was for over 7.5 tonnes. Didn't have or want.
As I said before, kept simple all I wanted was my C1 retained.
My licence was returned no different except for code 79 NFHR on mini buses.
All categories retained including motorbike full licence

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
As said in the OP Peter, aint got a photo licence... so include one with the application then ?
But you have a Passport, agree for them to use that image?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I don't think government is that linked up. But if you have any spare photos from your passport shots you could use one of them
They are. If you give them permission to use it, they will use the Passport one if it is within date. They did for my wife's renewal.
Steve

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Terry

Would you apply that remark in bold to driving under 3.5t?

Interesting points Geoff and after some consideration I think my answer would be yes.

Your point 1 - unless you take it to extremes, say over 7.5t, I don't think that vehicle weight makes a lot of difference from a drivers point of view. Modern vehicles are easy to drive, including HGV and the like, so it comes down IMO to the abilities of the driver. I'm not a fan of self-certification because there are no checks that what you've declared is in fact true - until it's too late and an accident attributable to personal deficiency has occurred (HRH Prince Phillip?). I have regular checkups with my doctor, which are available free for the asking, and I personally see no reason why every driver at age 70 can't do the same.

As for point 2, well I really don't have an answer as this could be taken as an interference with personal liberties, an emotive subject I really don't want to get into a discussion about.

In my view if we want to continue to live in a safe and viable society, there will be times when we have to make some changes to our ways of life. This could be one of them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The D4 examination allows up to 180/100 which I thought was high.
Mine is averaging 160/105 trippled one of my pills no different, Dr. Talking about refering me to a cardiologist. A bit odd I'm far fitted than I was 10 years ago.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Mine is averaging 160/105 trippled one of my pills no different, Dr. Talking about refering me to a cardiologist. A bit odd I'm far fitted than I was 10 years ago.
My wife's started to rise, she was kept on one brand of tablet then they re-tested every 2 weeks until they found something that worked in conjunction with the first.
I have managed now for several years on 2 types at once and maxing at 140/80.
Pulse around 60bpm
Have annual blood test tomorrow morning, :pray2: usually OK with acceptable cholesterol levels. :pray2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My wife's started to rise, she was kept on one brand of tablet then they re-tested every 2 weeks until they found something that worked in conjunction with the first.
I have managed now for several years on 2 types at once and maxing at 140/80.
Pulse around 60bpm
Have annual blood test tomorrow morning, :pray2: usually OK with acceptable cholesterol levels. :pray2:
Problem I have most pills give me side effects, been on the same pills for over 10 years averaging 140/90 then last year suddenly shot up.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I am rapidly approaching 70 with a particular heart issue. To retain my C1 I must take specific physical or drug induced stress tests. Have had a few trial runs and find that some days no problem but some days physical (not coronary) problems hold me back so advice of cardiologist is to accept loss of C1. This I can live with but with all due respect to some members I believe I am far safer to drive a 3500 plus vehicle than some members. Why do i have this arrogant belief? 10 years ago I first had heart problems and after a particular procedure had to surrender my licence for 6 months and prove my fitness to drive. This I did by following advice, working hard and taking medication as dictated. For 10 years I have submitted myself to twice yearly medical checks as required by DVLA with no issues. Additionally to this my heart is continually monitored and carries out regular downloads to my cardiology department and if there were any issues these would be reported to the DVLA who would withdraw my licence for 2 years. The monitoring is vert exacting, for instance at the last check I was told that all was well except that at 15.36hrs &21 seconds on 11/11/2018 My heart jumped to a level of 6 b p m above set limits for 1.2 seconds. Above settings but acceptable to DVLA. My blood pressure is fairly consistent at 11o/65 and my resting heart rate is below 55 b p m. Despite all this in few months time I will lose my C1. I wonder if those who self certificate and obtain medical certificate from Doctors on Wheels or similar can be as certain about their heart health. I know there are others on this forum in similar situations, I am not alone. Some may think I am bitter, I'm not. Most people experiencing what I did die, I didn't and I came to terms with it some time ago, but I do know there are many out there less able than me but they have not come under the spotlight. I also question the validity of a system that allows me to drive 3850kgs vehicle on the 10th December but I must downplate to 3500kgs on 11th. The end.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Problem I have most pills give me side effects, been on the same pills for over 10 years averaging 140/90 then last year suddenly shot up.
I presume you have had a 24 hour monitor fitted. If not insist on having it. Can sometimes reveal surprising results. Wish you well whatever.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I presume you have had a 24 hour monitor fitted. If not insist on having it. Can sometimes reveal surprising results. Wish you well whatever.
Had them in the past at the moment just monitoring it myself. Dr. not unduley worried as my fitness level is good and having regular blood tests every time I change pills. Just off for one now.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I am rapidly approaching 70 with a particular heart issue. To retain my C1 I must take specific physical or drug induced stress tests. Have had a few trial runs and find that some days no problem but some days physical (not coronary) problems hold me back so advice of cardiologist is to accept loss of C1. This I can live with but with all due respect to some members I believe I am far safer to drive a 3500 plus vehicle than some members. Why do i have this arrogant belief? 10 years ago I first had heart problems and after a particular procedure had to surrender my licence for 6 months and prove my fitness to drive. This I did by following advice, working hard and taking medication as dictated. For 10 years I have submitted myself to twice yearly medical checks as required by DVLA with no issues. Additionally to this my heart is continually monitored and carries out regular downloads to my cardiology department and if there were any issues these would be reported to the DVLA who would withdraw my licence for 2 years. The monitoring is vert exacting, for instance at the last check I was told that all was well except that at 15.36hrs &21 seconds on 11/11/2018 My heart jumped to a level of 6 b p m above set limits for 1.2 seconds. Above settings but acceptable to DVLA. My blood pressure is fairly consistent at 11o/65 and my resting heart rate is below 55 b p m. Despite all this in few months time I will lose my C1. I wonder if those who self certificate and obtain medical certificate from Doctors on Wheels or similar can be as certain about their heart health. I know there are others on this forum in similar situations, I am not alone. Some may think I am bitter, I'm not. Most people experiencing what I did die, I didn't and I came to terms with it some time ago, but I do know there are many out there less able than me but they have not come under the spotlight. I also question the validity of a system that allows me to drive 3850kgs vehicle on the 10th December but I must downplate to 3500kgs on 11th. The end.
Don't worry by the sound of it won't be for long.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Had my medical yesterday with Doctors on Wheels, very thorough but fair. We went on the scooter and had a frightening event with a catering caravan passing us on the Sevenoaks by-pass within six inches. My blood pressure was up to 180 over 90 which is unheard of for me. But she said take your time and relax which I did and it slowly lowered to my usual 140:80. I can thoroughly recommend them.
Steve

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Had my medical yesterday with Doctors on Wheels, very thorough but fair. We went on the scooter and had a frightening event with a catering caravan passing us on the Sevenoaks by-pass within six inches. My blood pressure was up to 180 over 90 which is unheard of for me. But she said take your time and relax which I did and it slowly lowered to my usual 140:80. I can thoroughly recommend them.
Steve
Did you meet her at the layby on the Sevenoaks bypass like I did? That used to be mean something entirely different .......... I am told :D2

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sounds good, just the DVLA hurdle with any luck licence will come back quickly.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
My OH is 73 in November, and doesn't want to go through palaver of renewing C1 again. Great excuse to change our 3850t van for a lighter one.

My question relates to B + E, which entitles you to drive gross train over 3500t. Is this removed as well restricting you to total vehicle weight of 3500t? I have trawled the DVLA website and cannot find the answer. Reason for asking is that he wants to tow a trailer with our van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back