Info on Chunnel wanted, Late or missed connections. (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
On my "Reopen the Harwich to Esbjerg Ferry" forum someone commented:

" A word of caution - Le Chunnel is very expensive and if you don't arrive on time your money's gone."

I've read on Fun more than once that Eurotunnel will often get you on an earlier crossing if you are there before your time but are also very accomodating if you are late and the consequences are not as dire as said. Am I right or was the latter wishful thinking?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You are correct. Whoever said that either hasn't used the tunnel or is just trolling.
Prices can be good if you book in advance and travel off peak. Frequent traveller deal makes it even more cost effective.
It's easy to change your crossing if you call them.
Turn up early and they will offer you an early crossing if there's space.
It's a great experience. Takes 35 minutes and you can keep your dog with you.
We have only ever had one issue. .. aircon on carriage failed. Didn't cause us an issue in the van but we were given water and told to claim by staff and we got a refund.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thanks for that, I shall put them right! In the nicest possible way of course. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have used the tunnel regularly
We Often use Tesco Points to get vouchers to purchase free or nearly free tickets

At present we are trying to get just a few more points for a crossing in July which at present is running at £103 one way for 8m motorhome and looking at ferries when you vector in time and other costs
the tunnel works out far more cost effective

As for timings We ALWAYS plan to arrive at least an hour early some times we are straight on the next crossing last year returning we had to wait for our correct timed crossing - no hardship we were secure and had food and drinks available

We got exactly what we pay for a fast crossing

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
About six years ago travelling in car, back from SW France during December, i was held up due to snow bound roads. I was about 16 hours late for my train, no problem was just put on the next available train. Lots of other people were in a similar situation.
Mike

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We have been across 20+ times in the last few years using the frequent traveller option. Apart from August bank holiday weekend when we tried to turn up a day early we have been offered earlier crossings. It seems to be within two hours either side without a problem. You can also change you crossing online right up to the last minute which again we have done.

Because we are tied to school holidays sometimes the exact times we want are not available to book as close as Possible i.e. Booking 10pm when we want 6:30 and checking regularly you can usually keep changing as slots become available until you get something close the the time you want and then turn up.

occasionaly when we have turned up early but not got offered an early crossing you could try going to the road about where they check the letters as again the nice people may let you through a bit earlier....;-)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

" A word of caution - Le Chunnel is very expensive and if you don't arrive on time your money's gone."

I've read on Fun more than once that Eurotunnel will often get you on an earlier crossing if you are there before your time but are also very accomodating if you are late and the consequences are not as dire as said. Am I right or was the latter wishful thinking?

we should be able to give a definitive answer next Thursday on our rush from Taunton to Folkestone

evens money says we will only just make it, or more likely be late :)(y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
There's no problem changing times and days within reason etc they are very accommodating but be aware that they will make a small charge if you change your crossing to one of there "premium" times, and also if you arrive early at the automatic barrier it will give you the option to take the next available train and tell you if there is a cost increase, if there is just click no ( unless you want to pay it) and you'll probably end up on it anyway or the next one in your price bracket.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

Despite having Lots of Tesco vouchers for deals. We no longer use Eurotunnel.

Have lots of issues with them.

Last time, they charged us an additional £90 one way for being late. We had set off very early for a trip to ET that should have taken no more than 6 hours. It Took us 10 hours due to horrendous winter traffic and we were around 10 mins over the 2 hour leeway.

We checked the other ferries for last minute deals and they were all £100+ We stumped up the £90 and got on a train with many empty carriages behind us.

I have vowed to avoid the place and Eurotunnel where possible.

North Sea Ferries and Brittany Ferries for us.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I've called and arrived late a few times without any issue. Last time I didn't even call as I knew we'd arrive around 1am and as thought they just put us straight on the next train, the original booking was around 9pm the evening before. Always found them very flexible, makes you wonder if anyone ever does buy that "Flexible" ticket that is usually twice the price ?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Your right

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We broke down in Montelimar on the way back from South of France. Just changed it online for a day later.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi,

Despite having Lots of Tesco vouchers for deals. We no longer use Eurotunnel.

Have lots of issues with them.

Last time, they charged us an additional £90 one way for being late. We had set off very early for a trip to ET that should have taken no more than 6 hours. It Took us 10 hours due to horrendous winter traffic and we were around 10 mins over the 2 hour leeway.

We checked the other ferries for last minute deals and they were all £100+ We stumped up the £90 and got on a train with many empty carriages behind us.

I have vowed to avoid the place and Eurotunnel where possible.

North Sea Ferries and Brittany Ferries for us.

Perhaps if you phoned they would have changed your booking time for you, they have done for me without problem.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this is the Eurotunnel answer to arriving late, there doesn't appear to be any special terms for frequent traveller so presume these apply to most of us

1.3 Check-In time

You must Check-In at least 30 minutes (but not more than 2 hours) before your booked departure time on both the outward and inward legs of your journey. If you check-in more than 2 hours before your booked departure time, you may be offered an earlier departure. A charge may apply.

1.4 Exchangeable on or after day of travel

If you arrive at Check-In after this time (see above) your booking is no longer valid. However it may be possible to exchange your booking in the same direction of travel for the next available departure at Check-in subject to the following conditions. A charge may apply.

Standard Tickets
  • If you arrive within 2 hours of the booked departure time, the booking will be exchanged without charge ;
  • If you arrive more than 2 hours but no more than 24 hours after the booked departure time, the booking will be exchanged if you pay any difference between the price you paid and the price applicable to the departure for which your booking is exchanged ;
  • If you arrive more than 24 hours after the booked departure time, your booking will not be exchanged ;
  • These tickets are not refundable and cannot give rise to any financial compensation claim.;
  • All travel must be completed within 1 calendar year of the date of original purchase.
there are similar rules for arriving early, but charges may apply

RickT

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato McLouis
Exp
1 Year
Having used the tunnel hundreds of times in my car or another vehicle for work my experience is that the tunnel has got so much better these days. When I first started using them it always seemed that there was a delay of some kind, myself and other travelers firmly believed the delays were often deliberate, as you were directed to the terminal buildings to await your train, with the obvious temptation to buy something whilst there, I think the loss of duty free had an effect on this as the delays grew fewer, during the last couple of Years I have never experienced a delay and have found the staff helpful in placing you on earlier trains, also more than happy to help if you are late. I would always use the ferries during the day time as I enjoy the crossing, at night ferry unless the weather is bad in which case I use the tunnel as weather can often delay ferries.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Perhaps if you phoned they would have changed your booking time for you, they have done for me without problem.

I had tried that before and I was told to just turn-up at the desk. At the desk I was charged £78 that time which my Daughter paid.

When we had the very bad weather in 2009/2010, Eurotunnel was closed due to Eurostar trains stuck in the tunnel. The road network was in Chaos. So, we chose to book one way out with Brittany Ferries and lose our outbound ticket with ET.

On our return, the French lady would not accept our ticket claiming it was not valid as we had not made the outward journey. I explained that due to the hold-ups, we had chosen a different route, at our cost and that in doing so would have made life easier for ET, as they would have been able to transport at least 3 more cars.

An argument ensued and the lady said we had to pay an additional €70 from memory. So, I refused and refused to move until a supervisor or someone in management spoke with us. She made a phone call and we were allowed on with no extra charge. Albeit it with a long queue of angry motorists behind us as it took at least 20 mins.

As I said, with the hassle of trying to get to Folkestone, because of the congestion and the issues with ET. We avoid it. Great if you live a lot closer or can drive through the night. Not for us anymore.

Hull is 90 mins from us. Nice relaxing overnight trip on the Ferry. Evening Meal, bed and breakfast and on our way fresh and ready for the road.

For Spain, four hours to Portsmouth or less in the car. Yes BF timings are more suited to anyone living around Oxford or similar distances. But much easier than Dover, Folkestone and no Operation Stack to contend with.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I had tried that before and I was told to just turn-up at the desk. At the desk I was charged £78 that time which my Daughter paid.

When we had the very bad weather in 2009/2010, Eurotunnel was closed due to Eurostar trains stuck in the tunnel. The road network was in Chaos. So, we chose to book one way out with Brittany Ferries and lose our outbound ticket with ET.

On our return, the French lady would not accept our ticket claiming it was not valid as we had not made the outward journey. I explained that due to the hold-ups, we had chosen a different route, at our cost and that in doing so would have made life easier for ET, as they would have been able to transport at least 3 more cars.

An argument ensued and the lady said we had to pay an additional €70 from memory. So, I refused and refused to move until a supervisor or someone in management spoke with us. She made a phone call and we were allowed on with no extra charge. Albeit it with a long queue of angry motorists behind us as it took at least 20 mins.

As I said, with the hassle of trying to get to Folkestone, because of the congestion and the issues with ET. We avoid it. Great if you live a lot closer or can drive through the night. Not for us anymore.

Hull is 90 mins from us. Nice relaxing overnight trip on the Ferry. Evening Meal, bed and breakfast and on our way fresh and ready for the road.

For Spain, four hours to Portsmouth or less in the car. Yes BF timings are more suited to anyone living around Oxford or similar distances. But much easier than Dover, Folkestone and no Operation Stack to contend with.

I have been more fortunate in my experiences with Eurotunnel than you and I use it in preference to ferries because our dog can stay in the Motorhome with us. I must say though, when I have used the ferry with our car without the dog I have enjoyed the nice leisurely break from driving and the ability to get a meal and chill out for a while.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I haven't turned up "late" as you are okay to use a train 2 hours either side of you booking. I have turned up "early" (by 18 hours or so) and have been offered the next crossing without any charge.

I'd not listen to the source of your info as they don't sound like Funsters!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always leave on an 8pm ish train (after work) .. cross and drive to neufchatel en bray where we spend the night.
Never ever had an issue crossing or changing a time

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I haven't turned up "late" as you are okay to use a train 2 hours either side of you booking. I have turned up "early" (by 18 hours or so) and have been offered the next crossing without any charge.

I'd not listen to the source of your info as they don't sound like Funsters!

I was not listening to the source of my info but wished to correct him for the benefit of other travellers who want alternative means of getting to Scandinavia and vice versa since the demise of said ferry.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have been more fortunate in my experiences with Eurotunnel than you and I use it in preference to ferries because our dog can stay in the Motorhome with us. I must say though, when I have used the ferry with our car without the dog I have enjoyed the nice leisurely break from driving and the ability to get a meal and chill out for a while.
We always use DFDS Dover to Dunkirk and find that the dog is absolutely fine in the van as it's only a short crossing. She just curls up and waits for us to come back. We certainly wouldn't use the comparatively expensive tunnel just because we have the dog with us. Perhaps you are worrying unnecessarily.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We always use DFDS Dover to Dunkirk and find that the dog is absolutely fine in the van as it's only a short crossing. She just curls up and waits for us to come back. We certainly wouldn't use the comparatively expensive tunnel just because we have the dog with us. Perhaps you are worrying unnecessarily.

You haven't met my dog. Left alone in the van she would be become very distressed, perhaps because she is a rescue dog (RSPCA) she suffers badly from separation no matter what training or tricks we have used. So it's the tunnel for us.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Re my post above, if your dog is a rescue dog then that is a whole different scenario. You have no choice but to go through the tunnel and I bet you don't begrudge a penny of the cost as long as the dog is happy.

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We have turned up late and early and have always been put on the next available train, once we had to pay an extra £8.00 but we were arriving at a peak time and had paid for off peak. The only way to cross the channel, we have two dogs and for them it's a totally stress free crossing. Channel tunnel is the way to go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back