Importing post Brexit (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Does anyone know what the rules are now and if there will be any duties?

Gov.uk states that their page is out of date.

Facts only please, not opinions.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
having trawled through the excellent link Mick gave it is 10% for importing a new or used one. Then 20% Vat

here;
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8703321100

You cannot put "motorhome" in the search bar .It doesn't find anything

You have to click on " Tariff rates for things you are importing" ;

Then click;
Vehicles, aircraft, vessels and associated transport equipment
Then click;

Vehicles other than railway or tramway rolling stock, and parts and accessories thereof

Then click;

Motor cars and other motor vehicles principally designed for the transport of persons (other than those of heading 8702), including station wagons and racing cars

Then click;
Other vehicles, with only compression-ignition internal combustion piston engine (diesel or semi-diesel)

Then click;

Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 1 500 cm3 but not exceeding 2 500 cm3

*** You have a choice of 3 capacities on the above one;

Then click on;

New

**Or used if it is
then click on

Motor caravans

which brings up the link as attached.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
having trawled through the excellent link Mick gave it is 10% for importing a new or used one. Then 20% Vat

here;
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8703321100

You cannot put "motorhome" in the search bar .It doesn't find anything

You have to click on " Tariff rates for things you are importing" ;

Then click;
Vehicles, aircraft, vessels and associated transport equipment
Then click;

Vehicles other than railway or tramway rolling stock, and parts and accessories thereof

Then click;

Motor cars and other motor vehicles principally designed for the transport of persons (other than those of heading 8702), including station wagons and racing cars

Then click;
Other vehicles, with only compression-ignition internal combustion piston engine (diesel or semi-diesel)

Then click;

Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 1 500 cm3 but not exceeding 2 500 cm3

*** You have a choice of 3 capacities on the above one;

Then click on;

New

**Or used if it is
then click on

Motor caravans

which brings up the link as attached.
You then click on import and select EU and it states 0%

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think Gus missed the bit on the first page:

The UK Global Tariff (UKGT) applies to all goods imported into the UK unless:

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
So, please can anyone tell me what happens about the VAT? Is it still the same as before e.g. pay VAT in Germany then reclaim it after paying UK VAT? :cautious:

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
All.

The tariff free access will only apply if the vehicle is considered of EU origin - and Is provable for UK Import purposes so all EU makes should be fine and be zero tariff - otherwise tariff is 10%.

The news keeps saying tariff free access Etc, but not calling the detail out ... if you buy goods to and from EU from UK that are not manufactured in UK or EU then full tariffs will apply .....

Certificate of conformity will help prove origin.

Daniel.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think the VAT issue will be different because the export is to a non EU country now. So I suspect that it might be beneficial, in that they (Germans) will complete some export paperwork which will enable them to invoice free of tax and the buyer needs to get proof of export. It will be interesting.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
I think the VAT issue will be different because the export is to a non EU country now. So I suspect that it might be beneficial, in that they (Germans) will complete some export paperwork which will enable them to invoice free of tax and the buyer needs to get proof of export. It will be interesting.
Will be interesting definitely - the German dealer can zero rate for VAT for outside EU exports but they may back away if they are not in control of export formalities as Customs and VAT authorities will go after the dealer if the customs Export piece is not done correctly ..... not the customer - or make customer secure potential VAT in a bond etc to be refunded once all export formalities completed.

We are looking at this importing piece maybe in 2021 as we cannot see any camper we like in the UK .... lucky I work in this area so I Have some knowledge 😂😂

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Will be interesting definitely - the German dealer can zero rate for VAT for outside EU exports but they may back away if they are not in control of export formalities as Customs and VAT authorities will go after the dealer if the customs Export piece is not done correctly ..... not the customer - or make customer secure potential VAT in a bond etc to be refunded once all export formalities completed.

We are looking at this importing piece maybe in 2021 as we cannot see any camper we like in the UK .... lucky I work in this area so I Have some knowledge 😂😂
Your first paragraph describes how it was for exports. I have imported twice, first time I built a good relationship with the dealer owner and he did not require a deposit of the VAT until I provided the UK reg document and proof of VAT payment in the UK as was the case the second time around with another dealer. You are right they remain on the hook for the VAT. The EU had a big issue with transport, vehicles, boats and planes and cross border leasing scams so dealers are under constant scrutiny 20 years ago. The provision of a UK export vat registration number can release all that. That has now evaporated, so how will it be replaced.
If it is your area then you will have some great stuff to share with us.

Upvote 1
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
As long as they have a certificate of Conformity it shouldn't be a problem.
As we have a free trade agreement with the EU nothing should have changed.
I thought that the CoC was only acceptable if issued by the yet to be formed UK Assessment Body. There was talk of a 2 year transition but not sure if that's got near the top of the pile of things to start sorting out yet.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Hi sallylillian - yes all change.... I’ll keep my opinions on it to myself..😂

My last post was ,meant to describe now post Brexit process ... but the previous EU state export process was in some ways similar.

To export now from DE dealer there will need to be a full export declaration process to get the zero rated exports VAT treatment In Germany at point of sale - and this is beyond everyday mortals ... there will have to be an export agent involved, in the EU who can do all this for you. And there are fees for this and they will have to either represent you as the customer or the dealer.

Then there will be the corresponding UK import declaration needed at which point UK import VAT will be calculated on the DE ex - VAT price plus maybe some other costs. Again you will need an agent for this in the UK.

If you can get a single agent to cover both sides of the channel it would be easier .... but not necessary.

I do wonder if days of going to get your new van from Germany yourself maybe past dependant on the Relationship you could have with the customs agents.... and if they would sort paperwork for you on exit from EU and UK arrival.

Maybe a gap in the market 😏

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I thought that the CoC was only acceptable if issued by the yet to be formed UK Assessment Body. There was talk of a 2 year transition but not sure if that's got near the top of the pile of things to start sorting out yet.
CoC is issued by the manufacture.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Then there will be the corresponding UK import declaration needed at which point UK import VAT will be calculated on the DE ex - VAT price plus maybe some other costs. Again you will need an agent for this in the UK.
I think you are making mountains out of mole hills.
I don't see why there would be any change NOVA has worked for both EU & non EU imports.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
CoC is issued by the manufacture.
I thought the CoC was awarded to the manufacturers by the independent Assessment Body. The manufacturers just provide a copy of the certification to show it's been assessed as compliant to all the safety stuff. These were European accepted Assessment Bodies but post Bre.. the UK wants to re-assess to the new UK Certification system but I'm not really involved enough to know if the manufacturers have sorted it out yet. The bumf I've found so far is this although no idea if motorhomes are EU-27

Existing EU type approvals

Existing EU type approvals issued by EU-27 Type Approval Authorities (i.e. excluding UK issued ‘e11’ type approvals[1]) are no longer automatically accepted in GB for the purpose of registering vehicles for use on the road. Holders of EU-27 Type Approvals must apply for a GB provisional approval.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Hi Lenny HB ,

NOVA worked - but for outside EU imports into the UK ( pre brexit ) you always had to use C384 form or use an agent . Private individuals may still be able to use C384 form for a simplified process for UK import.

The NOVA guidance page is due to be updated I suspect due to Brexit but expect it to align with what it says for outside EU at the moment.

There will also be the EU export declaration needed .

Again this may change under pressure from automotive industry...

Daniel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks Daniel, its always useful to have someone with some facts based on working experience rather than a layman's opinion acquired from debate at the local pub. Although the latter has now dried up;)

Michael

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Motörhead Fun
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the above; very useful. I understand that imports will be tarrif free but what about Custom Duties? Here (https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty) it suggests that imports in to the UK will attract duties. The exception is Northern Ireland.

1610019460210.png

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Big difference between tariffs and customs duties as small businesses (and larger ones too) are now finding out as Motorhead Fun's post explains.

Reactions: ctc
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back