'Import tax' within EU? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have been researching the possibility of Re-registering our MH in Poland.

I anticipated being required to prove that VAT had been paid in UK on initial sale, but to my surprise I found that re-registering would incur an 'Excise tax' of 18.6% of the value.

What happened to 'Free movement of Goods'?

This has nothing to do with Brexit, as when we checked on our car purchase of a secondhand car from Germany 2-3 years ago we found the importing dealer provided proof of the tax having been paid, albeit at a much lower rate than 18.6%, which is charged on vehicles with engines over 2lt.

I welcome others' experience of re-registering an EU VAT-paid car in another EU country and any tax requirement.

Geoff

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I have no experience to offer, but my guess is that this isn’t an import tax, it’s a tax that has to be paid on any Polish registered vehicle. Your vehicle wasn’t purchased in Poland, so that tax hasn’t been paid yet.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
There are a number of documents on the web which confirm that there is an excise duty on all Polish registered cars of 3.1% up to 2 litres engine size, and 18.6% over 2 litres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In all EU countries vehicles are treated differently to goods and individual country taxes apply. e.g. UK, France, Germany and many other countries you just have to pay the VAT in the country it is registered but Holland for example has a vehicle tax of 21% plus 21% VAT, making 46% tax payable.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I imported a car into Spain years ago and was charged a ‘tax’ of some sort, the level of cost depended upon the age of the vehicle, reducing as it became older.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I imported a car into Spain years ago and was charged a ‘tax’ of some sort, the level of cost depended upon the age of the vehicle, reducing as it became older.

Here it is 4,1% of the governments value of the vehicle.& yes they have a value for all & every vehicle /model/type sold in spain. + boats, motorised & sail. Updated yearly & with a descending value based on how many years old the vehicle is.

I.e. If the vehicle had a new value of 50,000€ & is 10 years old then it will be considered to have a value of 10% of initial price = 5000€ x 4,1% =205€ You'd have to pay this whether importing or already registered & just selling it to someone else. Transfer tax. If the vehicle is less than a year old then the value is as if it were new.

You also now have a 14,85% tax based on emissions for some vehicles.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Here it is 4,1% of the governments value of the vehicle.& yes they have a value for all & every vehicle /model/type sold in spain. + boats, motorised & sail. Updated yearly & with a descending value based on how many years old the vehicle is.

I.e. If the vehicle had a new value of 50,000€ & is 10 years old then it will be considered to have a value of 10% of initial price = 5000€ x 4,1% =205€ You'd have to pay this whether importing or already registered & just selling it to someone else. Transfer tax. If the vehicle is less than a year old then the value is as if it were new.

You also now have a 14,85% tax based on emissions for some vehicles.

I have heard from many sources that importing a new vehicle into Spain is VERY expensive. So much for free movement of goods!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I have heard from many sources that importing a new vehicle into Spain is VERY expensive. So much for free movement of goods!

But it's not a import tax, it's a registration tax only applied to residents, if you are a visitor then it doesn't apply. Of course it also a good example of how all countries have retained their sovereignty and can set their own rules for their residents to follow.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

the free movement is what you get when you are first registering as a resident. 30 days & vehicles are free no tax to import as part of your "goods & chattels" . Anything after that you are the same as dealers buying abroad( lower prices) & selling on.
You also have to remember that selling/buying a vehicle here is not like the UK .The transfer is not free. The 4,1% of the vehicle value is payable on any sale, by the buyer.
Having actually re-registered vehicles here , albeit older ones there are a few loopholes but you can't use them very often:)

But it's not a import tax, it's a registration tax only applied to residents, if you are a visitor then it doesn't apply. Of course it also a good example of how all countries have retained their sovereignty and can set their own rules for their residents to follow.
Yes & no.It is also a transfer tax payable by any buyer. It also applies to any non -resident buying a vehicle in that they have to pay the transfer tax when it goes into there name.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
the free movement is what you get when you are first registering as a resident. 30 days & vehicles are free no tax to import as part of your "goods & chattels" .
How does that work then ? It's too late for me, but our lass is gonna apply for residencia soon, so can she bring stuff in free of tax ?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Its common in a lot of EU countries and it's mostly to do with protecting the motor dealers of their respective country. In Cyprus(RHD) cars are very expensive compared with the UK and whilst you can (for the moment) freely import you own vehicle on a container ship (no ferrys) the tax they impose makes it uneconomic.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
How does that work then ? It's too late for me, but our lass is gonna apply for residencia soon, so can she bring stuff in free of tax ?

If she had a car easier if it's LHD and she has owned it in her name for more than 6 months, she can bring it in as personal belongings and tax free.
www.spanish-number-plates.com
Look on this web site and if she meets the conditions she is good to go. (y) Bob.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Isn't it a registration tax, not an import tax? So even if the vehicle was made in that country, you'd still pay the registration tax. It's nothing to do with crossing borders.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back