If you were to get a new laptop……. (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Would it be a windows laptop or an Apple mac book? I posted this in chat as I mainly use my windows laptop for motorhome related stuff, route planning, downloading to Garmin via basecamp etc. I have no knowledge of mac books and was wondering if they were compatible with what I want to do, I have everything to ing else Apple so my reasoning other than cost is that it should be simple to use?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I don't know about downloading to Garmin but I recently moved from always having Windows to having a Google pixelbook. So it's just running on Android. Very simple to use but not sure it would suit what you want to do. It's basically a tablet but in laptop form.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
If you are primarily concerned with using Basecamp then there is a Mac OS version that appears to do everything the Windows version does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd get windows. I like the fact that any downloads or accessories or drivers always have the windows system tick box at the top of the list. Anything of any significance is made to run on windows.
If I win the lottery I may consider apple products.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I mac computor. And I pads and an I phone and it is all connected and synchronised to work seamlessly together.

information on all three devices so access to everything you want to use all the time.

Not filled with annoying adverts.

you can pick and choose what you would like to load the comp with So far as software goes.

it is a simple to use system but it is something you need to stick to with out going back to windows.

stick at a mac and your find there are many alternative software programmes that will do the same as windows and as I said most is for free.

after a while of using a mac and the alternative software your find it gets very easy to use.

both system and operating system updates for free. Unlike windows .

expensive as a set up but will last a lot lot lot longer than a windows machine ever will.

take a look at a auction site and your see some old mac machines still fetch real good money.
unlike a windows machine.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Another vote for Apple.

Stable, works without faff, amazing battery life and integrates seamlessly with other Apple devices on your account.

An Apple laptop will probably still be as good as the day you got it in 5 years. In my experience Windows laptops self destruct by then.

They are expensive but great.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ms pc. That’s a millisecond pc then ……an apple lasts for years and worth every penny if you want tried and tested software and computers.

windows 10 was to be the very last ultimate version. So they said and then came windows 11.
Seems Microsoft still have not got it right.

or have they when they can keep on charging for new operating systems.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Baah! Baah! Apple consumers are sheep! Super high prices for the same result as an MS PC or laptop.
I use all sorts at work, the Apple products are always superior.

I have tried Samsung and Android phones and they were awful in comparison.

I use a Windows based laptop for work 12 hours a day, Mac is much much better.

If liking things that work makes me a sheep, I am happy to be one.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
laptops GIF by Scott Gelber
windows GIF by Anthony Antonellis
Dog Car GIF

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Does the software you use run on the web or Android? If so, Chromebooks are incredibly good for the money. As long as you aren't video editing or running apps that only install on Windows or Mac, they are a very good option. I moved my wife over to a Chromebook a few years ago and she's perfectly happy with it. I use a Chromebook tablet when I want to travel light.

I've got a Windows laptop for my work stuff and it's fine and was a third of the price of a Mac. Battery still lasts >12 hours or weeks on standby. And I need to run Office apps, which are pretty flaky on Mac OS X from what I've seen.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i dont think we will ever buy another lap top unless you need to do a lot of typing even them you can link keyboards to tablets

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Baah! Baah! Apple consumers are sheep! Super high prices for the same result as an MS PC or laptop.
Swapping that over to phones, I have an iPhone for personal use and a Samsung for a work phone and the iPhone runs rings round the Samsung, it’s bloody rubbish and so user unfriendly, just my honest opinion👍

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have been Apple for years, the system just works, links to my iphone, ipad, Mac book, imac.
Apple play in the car the phone runs all my media and when the radio gets too much, I just switch to spotify all run from my iphone.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Apple for smart phones/gadgets.
Windows PC for propper stuff. 🤷‍♂️
And I’ve free access to my preferred platform 🤪

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Ive had 100's of Windows desktops and laptops. We run several in our office, sticking to Windows XP as long as we can.

I have run Concurrent DOS, DOS, Windows and Windows running on Novell Servers.

The Windows based hardware has been constantly replaced and updated in my office. We just buy refurbished units now.

My 2009 MacBook Pro is still going 13 years on and boy has it had some use.

Ive just treated myself to a new 13" MacBook Pro M1 with SSD, brilliant

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
My desktop is a 2013 iMac with big screen. Still going strong after 8 years and invaluable when teaching from home during lockdown.
Bought a MacBook Air last year and very happy with it.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I had a PC , laptop and coal powered nokia phones before covid then my hobby went video meeting so I had to go smartphone
Binned the pc, laptop and broadband because phone does it all
😎

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I won’t be buying a laptop now (I have an old Windows model - hasn’t been used for years….) - I find that I can do all that I need on my 2020 iPad Pro.(y)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think in this day and age you are probably asking the wrong question or indeed focusing on the machine rather than the user experience.

I use google for everything now and use both on my MacBook and a Windows Laptop. I’m largely agnostic WRT the hardware I’m using now.. indeed if I borrowed whatever hardware you decide on, I could use it as my own without any change to look and feel, my documents are all there, calendar, email, personalised configs are all just there etc etc. very easy way to operate.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'd get a SSD drive rather than traditional hard drive more reliable esp in a Mobile laptop.

I have a Lenovo ideapad great for a budget machine £300.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back